Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Just when car makers finally reach a level where cars are mechanically more reliable than ever...

The Feb issue of Consumer Reports has an article titled "High-tech Headaches", saying new car buyers are finding "infotainment" systems to be complicated and trouble-prone. Thirty two percent of 2013 owners of the MyFord/Lincoln Touch system reported problems as did thirty percent of those with HondaLink systems.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I just read something recently about how both Apple and Google are working with car manufacturers to more fully integrate their smartphones with the car's information systems.

I have a 2013 Honda CR-V that has begun this process. About 5-10 seconds after starting the car, the screen lights up telling me my iPhone is connected (Bluetooth). When a call comes in, I just tap a button on the steering wheel to answer it. Another button lets me say the name of the person I want to call, and the car/phone interface does the rest.

When I think about the old days when I did my own tuneups with a dwell meter and thickness gauges to adjust the points, etc., etc., it sometimes just boggles my tiny mind!
I still have my old Heathkit dwell meter in the garage. None of my younger neighbors knows what it is..

Old 12-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I still don't need or want all the gadgets. I barely want the radio. Speedometer, gas gauge and maybe a warning light or two are all I need.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I just read something recently about how both Apple and Google are working with car manufacturers to more fully integrate their smartphones with the car's information systems.

I have a 2013 Honda CR-V that has begun this process. About 5-10 seconds after starting the car, the screen lights up telling me my iPhone is connected (Bluetooth). When a call comes in, I just tap a button on the steering wheel to answer it. Another button lets me say the name of the person I want to call, and the car/phone interface does the rest.

When I think about the old days when I did my own tuneups with a dwell meter and thickness gauges to adjust the points, etc., etc., it sometimes just boggles my tiny mind!
My 2005 motorhome can do this!

All we did was change out the radio.

Well, the steering wheel is not integrated with the radio, but every time DH tried to make an iPhone call driving out here it automatically came up on the radio speakers and the mic is mounted on the steering wheel - so maybe I just need to touch that. I'll have him read the manual.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just when car makers finally reach a level where cars are mechanically more reliable than ever...

The Feb issue of Consumer Reports has an article titled "High-tech Headaches", saying new car buyers are finding "infotainment" systems to be complicated and trouble-prone. Thirty two percent of 2013 owners of the MyFord/Lincoln Touch system reported problems as did thirty percent of those with HondaLink systems.
Which is why I opted for an extended warranty.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #46

In addition to the e-gizmos, there's been lots of safety tech introduced in recent years. Like antilock brakes, multiple air bags, elec stability control (ESC), and bodies designed & engineered to better protect occupants in a crash. FWIW- Respected Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) now uses ESC as a required feature for it's Top Safety Pick designation.

My current ride is a '10 Nissan Altima which protects MUCH better in a crash than same model of 10 yrs before. In same IIHS 40mph "moderate overlap" crash test, driver is basically unscathed in '10 Altima but is pretty squished in '00 model (see pics in links). OUCH!

Vehicle details

Vehicle details

IMHO the safety improvements are WAY more important than voice operated stereos/phones (Bluetooth), distracting nav systems, and keyless entry/ignition ($$ remote key fobs). BTW- I have all of these new gizmos but do not consider them meaningful reasons to invest in a new ride.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
IMHO the safety improvements are WAY more important than voice operated stereos/phones (Bluetooth), distracting nav systems, and keyless entry/ignition ($200+ remote key fobs). BTW- I have all of these new gizmos but do not consider them meaningful reasons to invest in a new ride.
Agreed.

Hyndai Azera came with bluelink (= OnStar/Cadillac). Bluetooth and voice recognition makes it safer. Instead of taking your eyes of and fumbling with your fingers, you can call out your commands while keeping your eyes on the road. It has rear view camera for backing up help. There are other safety boosting "gizmos" it came with.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #48

Some interesting videos of newer safety tech in frontal crashes. Here a 2009 small Renault clearly bests much larger (& very safe for it's time) 15yr older Volvo-

And for even older car buffs, a 2009 mid-size Chevy Malibu bests much larger '59 Bel Air (and yes I did shed at tear at the loss of such a classic ride)-

Old 12-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #49

I think that many people just do not realize how much safer the newer cars are compared to older cars. Also, how much benefit people get from safety features that many think are frivolous (back up camera, blind spot warning, collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control).

I was just talking to my mother about this issue (she is almost 90). She wanted me to buy her late sister's 12 year old car for my daughter. I told her that while I'm sure it is a fine vehicle I want to buy a vehicle with more of the newer safety features for my daughter. It will be used, for sure, but one that is not more than 5 years old.

Quote:
I think it just depends. I have a Ford Explorer and was worried about this issue before buying it since I had seen so many complaints about it. Over two years later, I've had zero problems with it and find it very intuitive to use. I do think it could be improved (voice recognition doesn't work as well as I think it should), but for anyone computer literate or who has ever used a touchscreen (even on a phone or tablet) it is really easy to use.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #50

For those who think the owner's manual is thick, try the service manual(s). When I bought my 2003 GMC pickup I bought the service manual. It is five volumes nearly a foot tall when stacked. There is an entire volume for just the electronics for the engine alone. And I did read them. Well, most of it, and then decided I'm not going to be doing much more than changing light bulbs and engine oil.

I haven't yet bought the service manual for the 2014 Honda Accord.

Made me kind of miss the days of dwell meters and timing lights, both of which occupy space in the basement.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #51

Best money I ever spent on Vehicle maintanence. Saved buches of $$$.

The blue ones cover both my suburban and Winter Beater pickup truck. The one on the far left has dealer level info (pricelesss) on the Jaguar.
The three ring binders have tips and tricks collected over the years. I had my Sub since 2000, that is when I bought the service manuals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMmanuals 001.jpg (564.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
For those who think the owner's manual is thick, try the service manual(s). When I bought my 2003 GMC pickup I bought the service manual. It is five volumes nearly a foot tall when stacked. There is an entire volume for just the electronics for the engine alone. And I did read them. Well, most of it, and then decided I'm not going to be doing much more than changing light bulbs and engine oil.

I haven't yet bought the service manual for the 2014 Honda Accord.

Made me kind of miss the days of dwell meters and timing lights, both of which occupy space in the basement.
Service manuals!

I gave up when cars went to fuel-injection!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #53

Quote:

That is the poor implementation though, not the tech itself.

I like to see the manufacturers using better tech, but it is a pain when they fail.
Onscreen user manuals are a great thing.
And as mentioned by others, the safety features are wonderful, as is the better engineering to protect occupants in the event there is an accident.

Bluetooth connectivity of phones is nice and available in many many cars.
My favorite new tech is how simple voice commands for navigation has become.
I remember the first of those, what a mess. Now, you can just say "find the nearest McDonalds" and up pops a list.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #54

Took DW's car for a ride. This car has lots of the new tech stuff in it. Adaptive all wheel drive, the now usual ABS, tire pressure monitor, navigation, Dual sun roof. And on and on. Good thing for the long warranty she took out on it. Not sure I care to fix any of that when it goes on blink.

Also it has more airbags than the number of pillows she stacks on the bed daily after making it

I am still thinking that my next car should have the keys in the dashboard and the dimmer switch on the left sside of the floorboard. Maybe even 4 on the column shifter?

Edit add:
Another reason to avoid new vehicles:
Proposal may lead to more accidents, mileage taxes and tickets for “recorded traffic violations”
Kit Daniels
Infowars.com
January 1, 2014
In a few weeks, federal officials may require new vehicles to have trackable GPS “safety” devices which could be hacked to cause automobile accidents and may even usher in mileage taxes.
http://www.infowars.com/feds-may-req...g-in-new-cars/
Old 01-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I still don't need or want all the gadgets. I barely want the radio. Speedometer, gas gauge and maybe a warning light or two are all I need.
What is the dash shown? I like it.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What is the dash shown? I like it.
I had one of these (although this isn't it).....1972 Mini Clubman. Loved that car, even though it was trying to fall apart. Only a minimum of gauges... I have been reading through this thread a couple of times now....I am kind of on the opposite side from most folks. I think a lot of the new tech is causing a problem at times. Yeah.....ABS breaks etc are good things for most people. But all the do-dads you can play with now are mostly a distraction in my opinion. The first time I was in a car with a rear view camera.....the guy backed up into a little kid in the parking lot. He was using the camera to back up with and had stopped using the common sense (and old style that works) method of actually looking around before (and during) backing up. The new tech makes you lazy in my opinion. I have seen waaaay too many people on cell phones who can't separate driving and yakking and drive through lights etc. I've got lots of opinions....some of them are even good.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I had one of these (although this isn't it).....1972 Mini Clubman. Loved that car, even though it was trying to fall apart. Only a minimum of gauges... I have been reading through this thread a couple of times now....I am kind of on the opposite side from most folks. I think a lot of the new tech is causing a problem at times. Yeah.....ABS breaks etc are good things for most people. But all the do-dads you can play with now are mostly a distraction in my opinion. The first time I was in a car with a rear view camera.....the guy backed up into a little kid in the parking lot. He was using the camera to back up with and had stopped using the common sense (and old style that works) method of actually looking around before (and during) backing up. The new tech makes you lazy in my opinion. I have seen waaaay too many people on cell phones who can't separate driving and yakking and drive through lights etc. I've got lots of opinions....some of them are even good.
My wife has a newer Hyundai Santa Fe with a back up camera. One night she was about to come to the airport to pick me up after a out of town project and she backed into my Jetta that was sitting off to the side at the end of our driveway, I purposely parked it there so she would not have to deal with it coming and going. She said she didn't see the Jetta in the dark and sideswiped it. Nice. Good thing it was not a person. I wonder about the effectiveness of these back up cameras.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #58

The car we just bought has a back-up camera and I think it's great for that last two or three feet. But otherwise I keep my head swiveling.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I have yet to figure out how to listen to radio while the engine is out
The old joke about "what if your car ran like MS Windows" looks like it's about to come true.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still wowed by our "Ford Touch" infotainment, however, it went blank for 5 minutes a couple of weeks ago, and no dash components worked. Scared us into thinking we made a mistake buying the Escape. Luckily it rebooted itself and all is well. Now i've got big doubts the system will live a 10 to 15 year lifecycle we tend to keep cars

Had a chance to drive in the snow. All the traction control worked well. We bought Michelin X-ice-3 snow tires, that i'm sure had more to do with control than the vehicle itself.

All and all, i still like all the new "wow" gizmos, but i really doubt the systems will function properly past 100k miles.