Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Wow, New Car Technology
Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, New Car Technology

Bought a new Ford Escape Titanium. Its amazing the leap in technology cars have today over our 2004 Honda Accord. Wasnt sure i would like all the new finangled gizmos, but, was pleasantly surprised how useful they are. Example, thought the parallel park assist was a joke idea, till i tried it. Couldnt imagine trying to park without it now. I'm also addicted to all the dash gizmos like built in gps, all the stereo input abilities like connecting to my bluetooth to play pandora from my phone.

I've become a tecky that i used to role my eyes at. The computer industry is really looking at how we live, and adapting their systems to benefit our lives. GO TECHNOLOGY!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes I agree there have been some real innovations in the car industry.

The Tesla feels more like a spaceship than a car and I am sure many of the innovations and interface designs, that have nothing to do with an electric car will find themselves appearing in the old cars companies in a few years.

But I spent a week driving a Ford CMax, a very nice hybrid, and I was quite impressed with everything from the backup cameras, to the helpful mileage displays, and the fairly simply bluetooth connectivity. It was definitely a bigger leap between the 2013 CMax, and my 2003 Accura RSX, there where was a leap from my Accura to my 1993 RX-7. The Accura improvements were fairly modest but CMax were huge.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, on the mechanical technology side of it, a turbocharged consumer-grade gasoline engine is not for me! One look under the hood, and I just shake my head. Will be a difficult and expensive thing to work on, and will probably need work more often. Gas turbo's do not have a good track record over the years.
I realize that many people never open a hood, but I'm not one of them.
To me, the platform underneath it all is very important
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Daydreamer, I'd like to hear more about that parallel parking assist. Do you just let go of the wheel and like the cyborg take over?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Daydreamer, I'd like to hear more about that parallel parking assist. Do you just let go of the wheel and like the cyborg take over?
Almost, you have to use the gas pedal and brakes, but hands off the steering wheel. See demo from Ford:

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I am really impressed with all the technolgy installed in the modernd autos.

However, I think my next car will be the older tech, starting with the ignition key must still be inserted into the dashbord start switch, and headlight dimmer on the floorboard.

The wiring diagram of these cars still fits on one page.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Almost, you have to use the gas pedal and brakes, but hands off the steering wheel. See demo from Ford...
That implementation makes a lot of sense. The human driver remains in charge, as he retains the control of the brake pedal. He is supposed to monitor the car motion, in case the computer or the ultrasonic distance sensors go berzerk.

Still, drivers living in crowded cities will not need this as much as the casual suburban dwellers who occasionally venture into the downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I am really impressed with all the technology installed in the modern autos.

However, I think my next car will be the older tech, starting with the ignition key must still be inserted into the dashboard start switch, and headlight dimmer on the floorboard.

The wiring diagram of these cars still fits on one page.
Your future car will be expensive, because it will have to be one of those restored classics, costing near $100K.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #8

I recently got a rental car with the keyless ignition. The key fob stayed in my pocket & unlocked the doors as I got near the vehicle. Just press the start button & the car starts. Small conveniences, but so cool!

The other development that I've been amazed at is the collision detection and avoidance systems. They are just amazing!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I do agree on the new technology. I do have a Ford with the parallel park assist but just don't have many occasions to need to parallel park.

What I do love, love, love is the adaptive cruise control and the blind spot warning in the side mirrors. And, the rear backup camera is really great and significantly better than they one in our car that is a few years older. The back up camera even has lines marked to show where you would go if you continue backing out in the direction you are turning and where you would go if you backed out straight.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Almost, you have to use the gas pedal and brakes, but hands off the steering wheel. See demo from Ford:

Thanks. That's pretty cool. Now all I need is a pull of out parallel parked
Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Your future car will be expensive, because it will have to be one of those restored classics, costing near $100K.
1954 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible RESTORED - Wholesale Exotica LLC | Auto dealership in Englewood, New Jersey | Inventory

$54000.-

Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I now own three cars. I'm certain I could sell all three and have enough scratch for a down payment on one of your 13/14 cars. There are two from 2000 and one from 1999. I'm still knocked out that ALL my cars have auto-trans AND power windows! While I'm also fascinated by the new tech, I guess I'm a little intimidated as well. Not sure by the time my old beaters need replaced with your old cast-off 2013's and 2014's that I'll still be able to master all the bells and whistles.

I actually kind of miss the days of heel-and-toe down shifts, hand-brake turns, 4-65 AC and replacing my own oil and worn points/plugs (well, maybe not that last part). Still, given another life, I could see being involved in the research/development end of the auto business. For many years I have fantasized about a couple of significant fuel-mileage technologies. Now I find that these are close to fruition (and they didn't even ask me). I'm no engineer and they probably only pay "idea men" for marketing. So, maybe I'll just keep the life I have (and keep an eye out for a clapped out 2000 Miata.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

OK. So it's not as bad as I thought. But can you handle the MPG of 8, or is it 5?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My Ford F-150 has a few gizmos, including the tire air pressure sensors. I got a flat tire a few weeks ago, got the low air pressure sensor warning on the dash, put on my spare tire and threw the flat tire in the bed of my truck. Still got the low air pressure warning even though the spare had plenty of air. It turns out that the spare doesnt have a sensor, and the system was still reading the pressure of the flat tire while it was in the bed of the truck.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK. So it's not as bad as I thought. But can you handle the MPG of 8, or is it 5?
No problem, I am retired, no w*rk commute.

One of my favorite wheels among several owned is a 1999 454 suburban gets 12 around town and 15 to 16 on the highway.

I hope for huge sales of extremely fuel efficient cars, so that we will back to gas stations giving away salt shakers, knives and what have you. I guess that won't happen again in my current lifetime.

OTOH DW loves her 2013 caddy with rear view camera, all sorts of bells and whistles and a dozen air bags.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
First car I drove (age 13) was a 1953 Caddy. It belonged to an older friend of mine (ca. 1960) Back in the day that Chevy auto-trans was the two-speed "DynaFlo" (we called it the Dyna-Flush) the Caddy had 4 speeds forward (including "Country Driving" - AKA overdrive). Driving on the highway gave fuel mileage in the 15 mpg range or even better - if you could keep your foot out of it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ford got buried by Consumer Reports because of all their technology that doesn't work. But.....like many others I like rear back up cameras, adaptive cruise control, etc. I do wish, however, that they would wait until new tech is well tested and works before they rush to put it in new cars. I know Cadillac is having some tech problems.....so, no new car for me for a year or two.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
First car I drove (age 13) was a 1953 Caddy. It belonged to an older friend of mine (ca. 1960) Back in the day that Chevy auto-trans was the two-speed "DynaFlo" (we called it the Dyna-Flush) the Caddy had 4 speeds forward (including "Country Driving" - AKA overdrive). Driving on the highway gave fuel mileage in the 15 mpg range or even better - if you could keep your foot out of it. YMMV
I think that transmission was really a Buick one and only made a couple of years. Also called the Dyna Parth. Chevrolet had two speed Power Glide transmissions until the 1970s, I believe. I had one in a 1952 sedan.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The previous posts sums it up pretty well how the system works.

I feel i'm pretty good at parallel parking (unassisted), so i wanted to test how well it could park in tight spots. I compared the assist to my ability (unassisted) in an extremely tight parallel parking situation. The assist nailed it, as i followed all its ques to go back and forth 2 times. The car was squared up nicely in the spot. Unassisted, i could not park (serious blow to my ego).

Somebody mentioned concern about gas turbo reliability. I too have the concern, and time will tell. I do however have a dodge with a turbo diesel "cummins" that has 200k of very heavy towing, and has been bullet proof. I'm hoping ford studied up on material technology, and perfected proper turbo bearing lubrication, so that i wont be disappointed down the road.

I've always bought honda's for a commuter, but after our garbage 2004 accord, its time to try another brand. Ford, Please do not let me down!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
I've always bought honda's for a commuter, but after our garbage 2004 accord, its time to try another brand. Ford, Please do not let me down!
We're thinking of switching to Toyota. Honda doesn't seem to back their products when there is a design flaw. The A/C unit was faulty on Honda CRVs and it took a class action lawsuit for them to cover some of the cost. I think thy lost a lot of customers on that one. We bought a Honda lawnmower and the transmission went out after maybe 25 uses. Honda redesigned the transmission but didn't issue a recall.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote