Wow.. Norman Rockwell paintings

I have a book of collection of his magazine covers, with detail explanation on many of his paintings. Costco sold it a few years back. Among other "illustrative" books I laid out in my living room for guests, that book gets read the most. A few even borrowed it. I enjoy it time to time.

Very nice. Brings back memories of the Norman Rockwell Museum in the Berkshires. A great vacation getaway, and the museum is a real pleasure.

As a child of immigrants who lived through WW2 in their own back yard, the stories told to us kids of those years have always fascinated me. The paintings of Norman Rockwell also resonated with me, especially the paintings he produced in that war era. The Freedoms paintings still give me goose bumps today as they speak to what people lived through, no matter which continent.

I had the pleasure of seeing several of his originals when I worked for the Boy Scouts. There are several in their Irving, TX HQ. Fantastic to see the originals up close.

In the 1970's, went to see my sister in Philadelphia who was a nurse in the Navy. Got to tour some battleships, see the Liberty Bell, see the buildings where the 1st Congress or whatever was. Best highlight was touring the Norman Rockwell Museum. Think it was mostly prints, but great none-the-less. Just checked the internet and it is closed, but didn't see when.

More pleasant memories. :)

Much of my love of reading came early on, in the mid 1940's when I would anxiously await the arrival of the "Saturday Evening Post", which, along with "Life Mgazine" we're two of the few "extras" our family paid for.
The "real life" Rockwell paintings were not so exotic then, as they seem today, but pictures of the life we were living... little boy in a barber chair, boy scouts, and the people we saw every day, doing what we did in our own lives..

A little bit later, in the 1950's when I went to college, there was a tangential connection with Norman Rockwell, through the chef in my fraternity house... Larry Pinette, who, soon after I graduated, became the cafeteria director of the college (Bowdoin), and set a landmark for the college being the Gold Standard for college dining to this day. Anyway, during the summers, Larry would move down to Laconia NH, where he was reknown as the chef of the Hickory Stick Farm Restaurant, frequented by Norman Rockwell. Larry and Rockwell became close friends, and many of the Rockwell paintings were exhibited there.

Good to see that Rockwell is not forgotten.

Quite a few I haven't seen before and you're right the more you look the more subtle details you see. The Gossips among others made me laugh. Great post.

Back
Top Bottom