Join Early Retirement Today
Wow.. Norman Rockwell paintings
Old 03-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Wow.. Norman Rockwell paintings

Friend sent me the link to website with his paintings, posters and magazine covers.

I could spend hours looking at the amazing detail. In every work there's a subtle feature (person or thing) that makes you smile when you find it. The people in the paintings seem real enough to be your neighbor.

If you click through, hope you enjoy these as much as I do.

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a book of collection of his magazine covers, with detail explanation on many of his paintings. Costco sold it a few years back. Among other "illustrative" books I laid out in my living room for guests, that book gets read the most. A few even borrowed it. I enjoy it time to time.

Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Very nice. Brings back memories of the Norman Rockwell Museum in the Berkshires. A great vacation getaway, and the museum is a real pleasure.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
As a child of immigrants who lived through WW2 in their own back yard, the stories told to us kids of those years have always fascinated me. The paintings of Norman Rockwell also resonated with me, especially the paintings he produced in that war era. The Freedoms paintings still give me goose bumps today as they speak to what people lived through, no matter which continent.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
I had the pleasure of seeing several of his originals when I worked for the Boy Scouts. There are several in their Irving, TX HQ. Fantastic to see the originals up close.
You can't enlighten the unconscious.
But you can hit'em upside the head a few times to make sure they are really out...
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
In the 1970's, went to see my sister in Philadelphia who was a nurse in the Navy. Got to tour some battleships, see the Liberty Bell, see the buildings where the 1st Congress or whatever was. Best highlight was touring the Norman Rockwell Museum. Think it was mostly prints, but great none-the-less. Just checked the internet and it is closed, but didn't see when.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
More pleasant memories.

Much of my love of reading came early on, in the mid 1940's when I would anxiously await the arrival of the "Saturday Evening Post", which, along with "Life Mgazine" we're two of the few "extras" our family paid for.
The "real life" Rockwell paintings were not so exotic then, as they seem today, but pictures of the life we were living... little boy in a barber chair, boy scouts, and the people we saw every day, doing what we did in our own lives..

A little bit later, in the 1950's when I went to college, there was a tangential connection with Norman Rockwell, through the chef in my fraternity house... Larry Pinette, who, soon after I graduated, became the cafeteria director of the college (Bowdoin), and set a landmark for the college being the Gold Standard for college dining to this day. Anyway, during the summers, Larry would move down to Laconia NH, where he was reknown as the chef of the Hickory Stick Farm Restaurant, frequented by Norman Rockwell. Larry and Rockwell became close friends, and many of the Rockwell paintings were exhibited there.

Good to see that Rockwell is not forgotten.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado
If you're ever in Western Mass. you have to go to the Norman Rockwell museum stockbridge I've been several times and his work is beautiful.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
Quite a few I haven't seen before and you're right the more you look the more subtle details you see. The Gossips among others made me laugh. Great post.

Skyward1 is offline   Reply With Quote