Join Early Retirement Today

Wow - We just had a near miss!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow - We just had a near miss!

For you asteroid watchers:

How a City-Killing Asteroid Got So Uncomfortably Close to Earth
Scientists only realized its trajectory hours before it happened.
Quote:
On July 25, an asteroid measuring somewhere between 87 and 427 feet wide got unusually close to Earth. No scientists had even detected the asteroid until a few hours before it passed by the planet. While never a true threat, the rock known as Asteroid 2019 OK is still raising questions about Earth's readiness for a space-born natural disaster.
OK 2019's path took it within 45,360 miles of Earth, roughly one-fifth of the distance between here and the moon.

"It’s impressively close," said Michael Brown, of Monash University’s school of physics and astronomy, to the Sydney Morning Herald. "I don’t think it’s quite sunk in yet. It’s a pretty big deal. [If it hits Earth], it makes the bang of a very large nuclear weapon—a very large one.
Read in Popular Mechanics: https://www.popularmechanics.com/spa...shes-by-earth/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow! Impressive video animation;

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FaithfulOl...ant-mobile.mp4
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

In the end, we are all dead. I can only deal with the things that I think I can control.

But it is scary, that it wasn't noticed that late, but if I knew it was going to strike the earth, imagine the terror one would have.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
For you asteroid watchers:

How a City-Killing Asteroid Got So Uncomfortably Close to Earth
Scientists only realized its trajectory hours before it happened.
That's why I'd never want to live in a city.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
In the end, we are all dead. I can only deal with the things that I think I can control.

But it is scary, that it wasn't noticed that late, but if I knew it was going to strike the earth, imagine the terror one would have.
Maybe that is why the government did not tell us
Old 07-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
I imagine all those politicians were crapp**g in their shorts while this was going on.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Hint: Scientists only realized its trajectory hours before it happened.

Nothing to do with "the government" here.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Yes, very impressive!
Old 07-30-2019, 10:52 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Deep space force tracking will save us from the next one.
[emoji106]
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

When I hear about the asteroids, I always think in terms of so much space, what are the odds that a sizeable one would hit such a tiny target as earth in our lifetime?

But when they talk about coming closer than our Moon, that sounds a bit scary. I thought I'd do a little math to soothe my fears, but...

It turns out the distance between the Moon and Earth is only 30 Earth diameters (that surprised me, that's the thing about big numbers). IOW, 30 Earths would fit between the Earth and Moon. Hmmm, so that asteroid was 1/5th that distance away from Earth, only 6 Earth diameters? So from that view, a 1 in 6 chance that an asteroid in that general path could have hit the Earth, or maybe double that to consider each side of the Earth-to-Moon path?

Of course that assumes the asteroid is in the same plane as the Earth-Moon. So I guess you need to fill a circle that size with 'Earth diameters'? I'll leave that to someone better at geometry than me, or someone with a bunch of ping pong balls, glue and time on their hands.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it’s 240,000 miles to our moon, and this asteroid passed within 50,000 miles of us. That was extremely close, and amazing that we didn’t realize its trajectory heading right for us until a few hours before.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:45 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Better blow that dough before we all go.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, it’s 240,000 miles to our moon, and this asteroid passed within 50,000 miles of us. That was extremely close, and amazing that we didn’t realize its trajectory heading right for us until a few hours before.
The problem with asteroids are that they are black, and the problem with space is that it is black so they are difficult to see....

Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Hint: Scientists only realized its trajectory hours before it happened.

Nothing to do with "the government" here.
I think the democrats can use this as a failure of the space force.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, but an 87 x 427 foot rock is a tiny, tiny target to see from more than 50,000 miles away! How far was it when they first detected it?

edit - oops, cross posted with some other answers to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Better blow that dough before we all go.
Or the volcano blows?

-ERD50
Old 07-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
When I hear about the asteroids, I always think in terms of so much space, what are the odds that a sizeable one would hit such a tiny target as earth in our lifetime?

But when they talk about coming closer than our Moon, that sounds a bit scary. I thought I'd do a little math to soothe my fears, but...

It turns out the distance between the Moon and Earth is only 30 Earth diameters (that surprised me, that's the thing about big numbers). IOW, 30 Earths would fit between the Earth and Moon. Hmmm, so that asteroid was 1/5th that distance away from Earth, only 6 Earth diameters? So from that view, a 1 in 6 chance that an asteroid in that general path could have hit the Earth, or maybe double that to consider each side of the Earth-to-Moon path?

Of course that assumes the asteroid is in the same plane as the Earth-Moon. So I guess you need to fill a circle that size with 'Earth diameters'? I'll leave that to someone better at geometry than me, or someone with a bunch of ping pong balls, glue and time on their hands.

-ERD50
I don't think that math makes much sense. The odds would be based on how many asteroids are moving around in our solar system, effects of gravitational pull, etc. It's not how close that one asteroid came, it's how likely any asteroid will hit. Maybe there are so few asteroids that the odds are incredibly small another one will get anywhere near that close. Or maybe there are so many that it's inevitable that one will eventually hit again.

Unless there's something I don't know about many asteroids following a similar track to this one.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:06 AM   #18

Please let's not be tempted to bring completely irrelevant partisan politics into a fun thread...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't think that math makes much sense. The odds would be based on how many asteroids are moving around in our solar system, effects of gravitational pull, etc. It's not how close that one asteroid came, it's how likely any asteroid will hit. Maybe there are so few asteroids that the odds are incredibly small another one will get anywhere near that close. Or maybe there are so many that it's inevitable that one will eventually hit again.

Unless there's something I don't know about many asteroids following a similar track to this one.
Agreed - I was thinking in terms of this asteroid, assuming it's path was somewhat randomized between that 1/5th Earth-Moon distance. And even that assumption is kinda wacky. Just trying to put some scale to it.

Then it would depend on the odds of another asteroid coming that close to Earth again, and I have no idea what that is, and the math is still fuzzy. The only data we have is the big one they tie to dinosaur die off, and a smaller one in Russia about 100 years ago? That would have been a big deal if it hit a populated area.

Then I guess you can estimate from known craters on Earth, plus some estimate of hitting water where they might cause damage through tsunamis?

Not gonna get much precision from that.

-ERD50
Old 07-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Of course that assumes the asteroid is in the same plane as the Earth-Moon. So I guess you need to fill a circle that size with 'Earth diameters'? I'll leave that to someone better at geometry than me, ...
That's not me, but I can lend a tiny bit to this!

It is now generally agreed upon that the solar system formed as an accretion disk. In the outskirts are the Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud.

The Kuiper belt objects are in the same general plane as the earth. If disrupted, there's a good chance they'll be in the same general plane, or just a bit off. So when you start discussing odds, keep in mind there is a bunching that favors the plane. It is still much more than one earth diameter. The disruption events throw it out of the exact plane enough to help our odds quite a bit (i.e. many, many earth diameters). So, the geeks generally just catalog the "earth orbit crossers" knowing all the geometries involved. The odds are still good for us. But as mentioned above, they tend to be hard to see before found and cataloged. Ouch.

Now, the Oort cloud objects are different animals. They are in more of a sphere around the sun. Because they are out there, disruptions from other stars is possible. This is a source of completely out of the blue objects that come in any plane. Most are icy, which means they tend to be comets, which are typically easier to see early.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote