Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Wrist watch
Old 03-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Invicta Divers watch good to 600 feet - should handle swim pool maintenance
Lists at $375 - Got mine at Amazon for $85.
Swiss with Japanese movement. For a couple hundred more you can get the Total Swiss experience - but I'm too frugal.
Automatic wind - so no batteries! Eligible for free shipping and no sales tax - what a country!

http://tinyurl.com/syltp

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Another reason to get a cheapo watch: generally waterproof watches will no longer be waterproof once you open them up and replace the battery. The seal just isn't the same afterwards. So get a $20 watch and throw it away when the battery finally dies (although they seem to last longer than it takes me to lose a watch...)

Old 03-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recent New Yorker cartoon has a bewildered looking guy talking to a jeweler over the store counter-"Since when have men's watches all looked like valves on a nuclear submarine?"

Ha
Old 03-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Got me a Rolex in 1982. Worked so good I forgot about it other than putting it on in the morning every single day until 2001, then starting running fast. Had it serviced for $250 bucks and just last week it konked out on me. Swam in it, banged it up too often to recall, wore it at the beach and at formal fundraisers -- ran like a champ til then.

If I can repair it for under $300 bucks, will do. Otherwise, I am heading to the pawn shop.

NOT cost-effective, but there was something about wearing a precisely engineered, self-winding, mechanical, man made work of art that reminded me subconsciously that human beings were still capable of creating some pretty amazing things. I may be a computer geek, but otherwise am pretty old fashioned. BTW, mine is all stainless, no gold, no jewelry, just the Oyster Perpetual in its purest, most elegant form.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Got me a Rolex in 1982. Worked so good I forgot about it other than putting it on in the morning every single day until 2001, then starting running fast. Had it serviced for $250 bucks and just last week it konked out on me. Swam in it, banged it up too often to recall, wore it at the beach and at formal fundraisers -- ran like a champ til then.

If I can repair it for under $300 bucks, will do. Otherwise, I am heading to the pawn shop.

NOT cost-effective, but there was something about wearing a precisely engineered, self-winding, mechanical, man made work of art that reminded me subconsciously that human beings were still capable of creating some pretty amazing things. I may be a computer geek, but otherwise am pretty old fashioned. BTW, mine is all stainless, no gold, no jewelry, just the Oyster Perpetual in its purest, most elegant form.
We live in a disposable world and in many cases it really makes a lot of sense to just throw it away and get a new one...
Then there are other times when it makes sense to buy quality, when in the long run it 's "cheaper" to own quality that lasts rather than to keep replacing cheaply made with another cheaply made...and in the meantime you get to own something really cool and well made.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Recent New Yorker cartoon has a bewildered looking guy talking to a jeweler over the store counter-"Since when have men's watches all looked like valves on a nuclear submarine?"
Judging from the prices being discussed here, I think the nuclear valves are cheaper less expensive.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Judging from the prices being discussed here, I think the nuclear valves are cheaper less expensive.
Yeah, but unless the military budget has gotten way out of hand, they don't make nuclear valves out of gold, either.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

Ha
Periscope Down!
Dive! Dive!

Old 03-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Periscope Down! Dive! Dive!*
Get back to me after you've left that puppy in a bilge full of hydraulic fluid for a few days.

Bonus points if the bilge freezes.

Double bonus points if it's a sanitary tank instead of a bilge...

(Yes, TH, I have seen frozen sanitary tanks. Believe me, even I didn't want to have a need to know.)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Get back to me after you've left that puppy in a bilge full of hydraulic fluid for a few days.

Bonus points if the bilge freezes.

Double bonus points if it's a sanitary tank instead of a bilge...

(Yes, TH, I have seen frozen sanitary tanks. Believe me, even I didn't want to have a need to know.)
Oh yeah? Well Watch this!

Old 03-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Oh yeah? Well Watch this!*
That would've been voted the most-popular & most-watched video of an entire deployment...

Old 03-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Oh yeah? Well Watch this!*
I'm being hypnotized...