Join Early Retirement Today

Wrist watch
Old 11-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Wrist watch

Hi Guys--

You know that all professors have a reputation for being absent minded. Well, I'm living proof. Today I got into the pool (yeah with water in it) to clean the sides of some algae and forgot to take off my watch--again. This is the 3rd time since June I've destroyed a good watch. The repairs cost more than the watches.

DW wants me to buy a Rolex Oyster that will withstand my dips. I am balking. Even the preowned are more than the cost of some small islands and besides, I'd feel very self-conscious wearing one, anyway. I think they are too over the top.

Any suggestions on tried and true water proof or resistant watches that don't rival the national debt? Thanks.

Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wrist watch
Old 11-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Prof, you are retired - forget about a watch.

When the sun comes up it is time for coffee and breakfast, when the sun goes down it is time for a beer, in between, you do what you like, when you like.

Anyway, Rolexes (and other CC jewelry) attract vultures - as described elsewhere in this forum.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
Prof, you are retired - forget about a watch.
No watch, no pants, no problem!!!

Old 11-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone ever saw a digital pocket watch?

I'm thinking of the look of a classical pocket watch with a face cover with the internal workings/functions of a modern digital watch. Just something I've always wanted. I think I like the idea of a pocket watch, with a chain and not having something on my wrist.

If you ever seen one, let me know where I can buy one.
txs
Old 11-06-2005, 12:39 PM   #5

A Rolex has a mechanical movement. In order to have it serviced properly, most people send theirs back to the factory. Needs service every three years or so. Costs a fortune! My BIL, who really likes fancy toys, has stopped wearing his for this reason. High maintentance . . .

HH
Old 11-06-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Avoid Rolex. Expensive to buy. Expensive to maintain. Doesn't keep time well. Requires winding (or shaking). And encourages thieves to cut off your hands.

Instead, get one of these:

Timex Expedition

Tough. Accurate. Indiglo light. Water resistant. $15.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

I used to be a lifeguard, and never once did I think "hmmm, maybe a rolex" while looking for waterproof watches :

More than anything, it was probably because I was only making $6.75/hr back then.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I haven't owned a working watch since 1986 or so. Society provides enough clocks and people so I let someone else worry about the time.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #9

Same here--no watch since the university days. This probably contributed to my "stupid human trick" ability to guess the time within five minutes 90% of the time even without seeing a clock for hours. Back during the beach days, I used to win many beers this way.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Let the wrist watch thing go....

I haven't worn a watch for more than 20 years since I developed a rash on my wrist from the metal under the watch face.* I've learned where all the clocks are around me and like tozz have developed a kind of sixth sense for knowing what time it is.*

jj
Old 11-06-2005, 02:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Have five watches, worth a grand total of maybe $300.

Hardly ever wear one...

But I could if I wanted!! :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a $20 casio that I swim in regularly. It is water resistant to 50M. I have a nice, expensive watch also but prefer my $20 casio.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

No watch for me. I also can guess the time pretty accurately. I even used to have an internal wake up alarm that I can set to try and wake up at a certain time. I can snooze for a 10 minute period and wake up. This has diminished with age so I now rely on a real alarm clock for those rare occaisions when I need to get up early.

This may sound handy but I need a coffee caffiene zap to really wake up - I am a zombie without it.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am with Wab.

Timex Indiglo.

Mine went through the washing machine recently and still lives.

I dig the Indiglo feature.

I, too, developed an internal clock. Ever since the Army, I wake up just before the alarm goes off, no matter when. My ears are still listening for the slam of the screen door and the voice of the drill sargeant.

Gypsy

Old 11-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi wab--

Thanks for the info. That is one good looking timepiece. And the price is good looking, too. I'm not one for Madison Avenue hype--Mont Blanc pens, Rolex, etc. I would rather have money in my pocket than to be a part of conspicuous consumption.

Guys--I'm not retired yet. But you can bet I'm counting the nanoseconds!!!!!!!!!!! August or December of '06 and it will be mistletoe on my coat tale!!!!!!!!

Professor
Old 11-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #16

I was thinking about the watch I found about 10 years ago on the ground somewhere. It is a little beat up, but it has worked great. It is a pocketwatch - no arm band (got ripped off partially before I found it). I've been in water with it on multiple occasions (some on purpose, some not). I just checked - and it is a Timex indiglo Ironman Triathlon. Very reliable timepiece.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Guys--I'm not retired yet.* But you can bet I'm counting the nanoseconds!!!!!!!!!!!* August or December of '06 and it will be mistletoe on my coat tale!!!!!!!!
If you must wear a watch, I've enjoyed the Casio sports watches (the 50M watch is great for a SCUBA backup timer) and the Timex Indiglo. I get a lot more battery life from the Casio and their "G-Shock" model is a lot harder to scratch up the face. The Timex was battle-scarred after a month.

Since you're committed to the ER lifestyle, make sure your watch has both a date and a day display on it. For the first couple months of ER you won't care about the time but you'll lose track of which day it is-- this is very bad if you decide to go shopping without realizing that it's a Saturday afternoon.

But a few months into ER you'll realize that your watch has spent the last week sitting on a desk or a nightstand somewhere...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:45 AM   #18

Any watch that cost most than 15 dollars that isnt at least water resistant is crap. I didn't even know it was possible to buy one that isnt water resistant today.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Believe me, it's possible. 2 Elgins and a Citizen, They were low-end watches but I'm here to testify they were allegic to H2O.

Professor
Old 11-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

On weekends or vacations, the first thing I do is lose the watch. When I ER, I doubt that I will carry one, and I know I won't carry a cell phone, except one that is turned "off" to be used for emergencies.