Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's why I still wear one. Who 'da thunk a watch would be a chick magnet?
It's just easier than fishing for the cell phone.
Wasn't that a Mae West line? "Is that a cell phone in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
I wear a watch. My excuse is that it's my medical alert bracelet. I wear the latter because of a medication I take. I found an outfit that sells medical alert "thingies" that wrap around the band. I much prefer this solution to the traditional medical alert bracelet.
Serious question-- can the EMTs and ER staff tell you're wearing a medicalert bracelet, or do they just cut it off your wrist thinking that it's a watch?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Serious question-- can the EMTs and ER staff tell you're wearing a medicalert bracelet, or do they just cut it off your wrist thinking that it's a watch?
It's fairly obvious. I've had people ask me about it, so I doubt that an EMT or ER staff would miss it unless they are blind. There's a picture at this URL: ID Technology - The MediBand™ - lightweight medical alert ID watch accessory made in the USA. It's a LOT cheaper than the traditional medical alert bracelet.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always wear a watch during waking hours. I have several, mostly pretty cheap, that include a variety of functions: one for heart rate while exercising, one with 24 worldwide timezones due to travel and having to be able to know what time it is at home and in europe, one with a pedometer that is used for runs or walks, one with an altimeter/barometer/thermometer and compass for hiking and driving in the mountains. By the way, they all also tell the time.

If some company would come up with all of that in a compact package I'd buy it.

R
Old 07-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I like my Timex Datalink, and often use the stopwatch, countdown timer, event reminder, day-related alarms, and phone number database.

<snip>

I had one of the original datalinks -- the one that transferred data by looking at flashed lines on the computer monitor.
I had one of the originals also - people at work thought I was nuts. I thought it was neat.

I also still wear the Datalink, this is one of the fancy ones with the metal case, not plastic. It beeps on a specific date so I won't forget my wedding anniversary. I've been told by more than one female that it is considered very poor form to do that.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
According to an article in the latest MORE magazine (Pamela Redmond Satran), entitled "How NOT to Act Old", wearing a watch is, well...old. "...a naked wrist is now as emblematic of youth as a perky butt." .
Good grief, what will they think of next. I can think of so many things that are more emblematic of "acting old," than wearing a watch.

But a perky behind is timeless...especially on guys, of any age, who take care of themselves...
Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I carry a watch in my pocket. Just in case someone asks me what time it is.

I found it on the ground back in high school and it is still ticking (well, not ticking since it is digital). It has required a few new batteries though over the years.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
But a perky behind is timeless...especially on guys, of any age, who take care of themselves...
Is "perky behind" the same thing as "tight ass"?

Got that covered...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

My collection of timeless timepieces, removed from the drawer for photographing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (809.5 KB, 2 views)

Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #49

Several are ladies watches, no?

I have a beat up men's watch I wear every day. Lost without it on my arm. I am a creature of habit. I hate having to take it off when we go somewhere I have to dress up.

DH gave me a beautiful and dainty girlie watch for Christmas that made me wonder if he'd been clueless for the last 20 years. I explained (kindly) that just because he wanted me to want a fancy watch didn't make me want one. He understood after a time and took the watch back.

Now that I've lost the diamond from my engagement ring somehow, though, I am in the market for a new wedding ring. I decided against replacing the one I picked out at 22--not really my style anyway, and it was yellow gold. But I am sad to have lost it, because DH made payments on that diamond for a year before and right after we were married. Awwwww. Now I'd kill him for going into debt for jewelry.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

I have a beat up men's watch I wear every day.
How badly did you have to beat him up?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #51

LOL Amethyst, just ask my long-suffering husband--he's the one I beat up and stole the watch from.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

My watched always seem to break on me so I gave up and just use my cell. Plus I think we have atleast 20 clocks in the house.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cell phones are more discreet? If you look at your wristwatch, everyone knows you want to know what time it is, but when you take your cell phone out, obviously you were vibrated!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My collection of timeless timepieces, removed from the drawer for photographing...
DW is wearing the one on the upper right right now.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Good grief, what will they think of next. I can think of so many things that are more emblematic of "acting old," than wearing a watch.

On the subject of perkiness, I wasn't thinking about a guy's behind...but sometimes you takes what you gets....
Old 07-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
They do go with my slinky black dress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
DW is wearing the one on the upper right right now.
That's the only one I wear regularly.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do like to know what time it is but don't like to carry a cell phone so think I'll keep wearing a watch- I also like to jump in the pool throughout the day as I'm working in the yard and no worry with the watch, doubt the cell phone would last long.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I'm wearing a Seiko that my kids gave me about 20 years ago (probably cost about $20 at that time). I occasionally break the band and have a guy near-by that will charge 1$ cash to fix it.

That, and a new battery every 5-10 years, makes it part of me even tho time is not as important as it once was.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
I love the mechanicalness of watches made before the age of digitalness. I appreciate the beauty of the design the insides, the guts of the timepieces that were common before batteries ruined everything. Most of my watches were built between 50 and 150 years ago. It is a tribute to the quality of workmanship that they function just fine and keep accurate time, (plenty accurate enough in most cases, amazingly accurate in the case of the Railroad types) and please me with their outward ethstetic as well. They are another kind of investment account that likely as suffered along with the other markets recently, but you get to enjoy wearing them (I do) and they last pretty much forever. Someday I will weed out, thin the heard, whatever, down from about 200 ( a guess ) and keep the top 30 or 40 and maybe acquire a couple truly extra fine examples I've never been willing to spring for in the past. Currently my "modern" knock around is a Seiko Kinetic, still no battery, a selfwinder, although not traditional, it uses a capacitor, not a spring, to store energy, for up to a week of non-use. I just love watches, wristies especially, but Railroad Pockets half a place in history as well.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still wear a watch but I don't look at it very often. I have clocks all over the house and carry a cell phone and I have a clock in the car. I just feel naked without it. The watch I have is one I bought with birthday money from my parents in 1980. It's a Seiko quartz analog with no numbers on it, just markings every 5 minutes.

I prefer an analog clock face, it just seems logical to me but I like the accuracy of digital. We have a couple of those atomic clocks that receive the time signal. They are all digital, but my favorite one also has a large analog clock face.