Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Wrist Watches Obsolete?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wrist Watches Obsolete?

From an LBYM perspective. I've never felt the need to own an expensive watch, but I always used to wear a watch. Nowadays since I have my cell phone on me at all times, and it keeps time flawlessly, I haven't worn a watch for over a year. Will probably sell or give away the ones I have, but I don't see the point anymore. The only remaining reason to wear one is the jewelry aspect, but that doesn't make sense from an LBYM perspective either. Newspapers, sandwich bags, big house, expensive cars, fancy clothes, showy vacations, household clutter, watches, what's next? LBYM is indeed liberating...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I wear an inexpensive Timex, just because I am used to doing so. Plus, it is right there on my wrist (very convenient) whereas I have to fish through my purse to get out my cell phone.

I can't imagine having to fish out my phone to see what the date is, while writing a check for example. Also, I can look at the time on my watch in the middle of the night (Indiglo), without having to roll over and squint at the clock.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still wear a watch as I don't always carry my cell phone -- but I do notice many younger folks have given up watches.

I'll be happy when a wrist watch is a cell phone.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #4

After I bought my iPhone I soon realized I no longer needed a watch. One click and the time is right there. Not quite as fast as a watch, but one less piece of hardware I have to worry about. Watches have gone the way of home land line telephones.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Which is more obsolete? Wearing a watch or writing a check?

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sure I could get the time off my iphone, but I still like to wear a wrist watch. For one thing, I don't want to pull the phone out of my pants pocket every time I want to know what time it is. But for me, a watch is more than a purely functional device. I appreciate the beauty of a well crafted piece of horology.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've never worn a watch. Hmm, maybe that's why I always forget to take my cell phone places too.

I think sales of watches between Timex and Rolex are way down this decade.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't worn a watch in over five years. If I care about the time then it doesn't take long to find a clock on a dashboard or some other public place-- but usually it's not necessary to know what time it is.

I brought along a watch on our recent Mainland trip, but even on the nine-hour flight it wasn't necessary to know the time. When I didn't know exactly what time it was, it certainly avoided the "Are we there yet?!?" syndrome. It was just time for a nap, or to have a snack, or to get a cup of coffee, or to read/write. Then it was time for the plane to land, which meant that I knew what time it was again... not that I needed to know. If I needed to get up at a certain time, there was always an alarm clock at hand.

Gosh, you'd think George Carlin would have riffed on "What time is it?" after he was finished with his "stuff" comedy routine.

I'm leaving the watch at home from now on.

I can't think of a situation where I'd need to know what time it was RIGHT NOW, but I guess I'd ask someone with a cellphone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Which is more obsolete? Wearing a watch or writing a check?
I still have to write checks for some payments!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Add me to the watchless crowd. Haven't had one since maybe high school. There are plenty of clocks around if one needs to know the time. I get my admin assistant to remind me about meetings that I don't go to.

Another benefit of being watchless, is that one develops a good sense of time of day despite yourself.

I have a rule about technology: if I get a new piece of tech I have to get rid of an old piece of tech. I have just 4 things that run on batteries: my laptop, my blackberry, my dSLR kit, and my ..... Uh, make that just 3 things.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #10

I took it off on my way to car on last day of employment. Time moves based on sun and seasons. Simple enough for most days. For the occasional timed appointment the microwave, tv or car timekeeper are more than sufficient. Sleep when tired wake before dawn and enjoy the time seems to work well for me.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #11

I gotta have my watch, both for the time/date and the jewelry aspect. I only carry a cell phone so DW can keep track of me or tell me to bring home a loaf of bread, gal of milk, etc. I like the convenience of the cell phone but I hate them being used or abused like they are, ala carrying on converstions in the store in loud voices. If they walked outside they wouldn't even need a cell phone. I think they are a very dangerous tool when used in the car. Someone mentioned changing the watch to a cell phone. Great idea. Dick Tracey was way ahead of his time.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
But for me, a watch is more than a purely functional device. I appreciate the beauty of a well crafted piece of horology.
I feel the same way.

I remember the pic you posted of your watches....you have excellent taste FIREdreamer.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I think watches look fantastic on most people's wrists and they are indeed jewelry. DH has given me several nice-ish watches before realizing they were just going into the jewelry box.

They just drive me crazy when they're on my wrist so I don't wear them.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I feel the same way.

I remember the pic you posted of your watches....you have excellent taste FIREdreamer.
Thanks!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I stopped wearing a watch when I retired. Then about a year later I got new batteries for two watches and started wearing them when I ran errands. Then the batteries died and I haven't replaced them. Haven't worn one for more than a year now. I think I'll freecycle the whole batch.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I told my kids you guys are lucky IPOD, IpAQ, cell phones, etc. I told them when I was growing up a wristwatch that glow in the dark hiding in the cover entertained me for over a year.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Sure I could get the time off my iphone, but I still like to wear a wrist watch. For one thing, I don't want to pull the phone out of my pants pocket every time I want to know what time it is. But for me, a watch is more than a purely functional device. I appreciate the beauty of a well crafted piece of horology.
I appreciate the look and feel of a watch as much as the next guy, and have been known to drool over watch magazines, but just can't justify the cost of a truly nice timepiece.

I keep my iphone in a horizontal case on my belt, easily removed for checking the time if needed.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I think a watch on a man's wrist looks sexy.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If you don't need a watch you are doing something wrong.
On a recent hike in the Grand Teton NP - Cascade and Paintbrush loop 18.5miles
Alarm - woke me up
Time - computed miles per hour to determine if I could do the whole loop or should turn back at Lake Solitude (attached picture).
Time - told me if I would make the last boat back or if I would have to hike an additional 2 miles
Location - band holds a small compass
Time - told me it was Miller time when I got back to the RV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1721.JPG (611.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wrist Watches Obsolete?
I sure hope so. Had one of those days today when I didn’t know what time is was. Went to the park and came upon a sundial done up in flowers; the gardeners had a sense of humor to leave it stuck on one time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5718.jpg (1.08 MB, 2 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote