Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post

I'm sure most have heard the story about the student who did something wrong and received corporal punishment (e.g. paddle). However, that wasn’t the worst of it. They feared the school (in my case, the nun) would call my parents and tell them of my "infraction".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
You're absolutely right but I don't think we'll ever get back there.
For every generation, the days of their youth seem like "the golden days" when parents knew how to parent, schools knew how to discipline, blah, blah. The reality was always a bit less golden than the memories.

My father was a school administrator and a wonderful writer but he always typed, never wrote long hand. He was a lefty and the nuns beat his knuckles with a ruler to force him over to the right hand. Later, he could never think properly when writing long hand, he could only write well at a typewriter. DW is also a great writer which contributed to her very successful law career. She was very interested in math as a kid but in 8th grade a nun told her, "you are not smart enough to do well in math." She took it to heart and never recovered an interest or facility in math. I guess she can thank the idiot nun for her lucrative law career?

Golden days my as**.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Those were far from "golden days"; I also had the occasional sadistic teacher. Also was lucky enough to have a few excellent ones. As usual, though, the attempts to correct that which was bad 50 years ago have overshot the target and now there is almost no discipline.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is where I insert my "we're homeschooling!" happy dance.
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
She was very interested in math as a kid but in 8th grade a nun told her, "you are not smart enough to do well in math." She took it to heart and never recovered an interest or facility in math. I guess she can thank the idiot nun for her lucrative law career?

Golden days my as**.
I survived this same combination of sadism and senility that dominated parochial schools. When I got out of grade school I went a Jesuit HS for exactly 1 week. The first time one of those twisted sadists hit me, I got up and left. For good. Public school by contrast felt like nirvana.

Still, I would do it over again in preference to the lunacy that rules today. I was a mouthy, defiant kid, and I would not be tolerated in today's school systems.

Ha