Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #41
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,448
Got some free time on your hands, eh?
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Got some free time on your hands, eh?
Yep, When Time Flies...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Another thing: If you've got a wall/floor opened up and can see/access where termites have been before, I'd highly recommend that you ask your contractor/workers to apply BoraCare to any sheathing/framing that could be re-infested later (old wood and new replacement wood). The stuff doesn't cost very much (consider the alternative . . . ), it's quite safe for humans/mammals (the active ingredient is just a borax compound that kills termites/ants, etc). It's highly effective and lasts virtually forever if the wood doesn't get wet. There are other treatments that contain borax, but BoraCare has penetrants/surfactants that let the borax get all the way through 1.5" of wood if just treated on one side (twice). It's good, cheap insurance against future termite/carpenter ant problems, and it's only practical to do it when you can access the wood. If you buy a gallon, you'll probably have plenty left over for treating other accessible areas of your home (esp rim joists and mud sills, maybe some outbuildings, etc).

This is a "backup" to whatever whole-house treatment/monitoring/contract the pest control company will surely want to sell you.
Thank you. I checked the reviews and questions and it appears this product is great. From my research, it appears fumigation is the only way to ensure eradication. After that's done, I will have the contractor use the BoraCare in the crawlspace or do you think that's overkill? I don't plan on any ongoing termite monitoring services. To me, this is a one shot deal 'til the next time!
__________________
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
From my research, it appears fumigation is the only way to ensure eradication. After that's done, I will have the contractor use the BoraCare in the crawlspace or do you think that's overkill? I don't plan on any ongoing termite monitoring services. To me, this is a one shot deal 'til the next time!
As you know, the fumigation just kills the termites that are there right now, it leaves nothing behind to kill them tomorrow. So, a re-infestation is likely without further steps.

I definitely would do the BoraCare, and if my contractor can get access to the entire crawlspace I would apply it to the entire rim joist, to the mud sill, to the outside foot of each floor joist (along with the outer foot of the subfloor) and to any piers that may be supporting my home inside the foundation. That should do a darn good job of providing a barrier to the little beggars coming up from the ground. The termites hate the stuff so much that they won't even build "tubes" over cinderblock/cement/treated wood if it has the BoraCare applied to it (see photo and info here).

If you are doing the whole crawlspace/rim, you may need more than one gallon of the the concentrate (at about $80/gal).

Note: I am not a certified pest control specialist and the above is not an offer of professional advice. Follow all label directions on the Boracare.

BTW, if you are inclined to do the job yourself, there's no prohibition against a homeowner from buying and applying the product himself/herself, at least in most locations. I did it--I just followed the directions. Crawlspaces aren't usually very nice places, but at least you'll know no corners were cut.

Good luck!
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 639
A friend just had a very nasty termite infestation. Had discussions with three different companies on what to do. Around here they don't fumigate anymore. Instead they use a chemical Termidor. It gets on the termite as they touch it and they spread it among each other. Kills them in 30 days. Was very effective for my friends situation.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
As you know, the fumigation just kills the termites that are there right now, it leaves nothing behind to kill them tomorrow. So, a re-infestation is likely without further steps.

I definitely would do the BoraCare, and if my contractor can get access to the entire crawlspace I would apply it to the entire rim joist, to the mud sill, to the outside foot of each floor joist (along with the outer foot of the subfloor) and to any piers that may be supporting my home inside the foundation. That should do a darn good job of providing a barrier to the little beggars coming up from the ground. The termites hate the stuff so much that they won't even build "tubes" over cinderblock/cement/treated wood if it has the BoraCare applied to it (see photo and info here).

If you are doing the whole crawlspace/rim, you may need more than one gallon of the the concentrate (at about $80/gal).

Note: I am not a certified pest control specialist and the above is not an offer of professional advice. Follow all label directions on the Boracare.

BTW, if you are inclined to do the job yourself, there's no prohibition against a homeowner from buying and applying the product himself/herself, at least in most locations. I did it--I just followed the directions. Crawlspaces aren't usually very nice places, but at least you'll know no corners were cut.

Good luck!
Thank you again for all this great info. I'm certain the pest control companies won't suggest this treatment, instead wanting big $$$ for ongoing monitoring! GC was out today ripping out some subfloor (termite damage as well as a spot kitty used for a urinal for a while! We now have 5 access points to our crawl space, making this application much easier.

One more question...in the event we can't get fumigation to happen soon (one of the companies says it can take months to get on their schedule , can this product be applied prior to the fumigation? Then we could do the necessary repairs and continue with the remodel instead of pushing it out even further.
__________________
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
One more question...in the event we can't get fumigation to happen soon (one of the companies says it can take months to get on their schedule , can this product be applied prior to the fumigation? Then we could do the necessary repairs and continue with the remodel instead of pushing it out even further.
Yes, I wouldn't think there'd be any problem with applying the BoraCare before fumigation--it won't make the problem worse. Take a look at the information here, your may even decide that fumigation is unnecessary after all (if you can access all the areas they have gotten to, and can spray a bit beyond the present infestation as a barrier).

Fumigation will only kill the termites presently in your house, but it will probably get them all. If they are fairly localized and you can kill them instead with BoraCare or something else, you can spare yourself the inconvenience and cost of fumigation.
__________________

__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Savings Bonds - Didn't Think The Time Would Arrive easysurfer FIRE and Money 20 07-06-2015 12:08 PM
I signed up for file-and-suspend, but they didn't suspend Ed_The_Gypsy FIRE and Money 25 01-03-2014 02:15 PM
Didn't notice the shirt... REWahoo Other topics 8 02-06-2012 08:40 PM
Why didn't I think of this? REWahoo Other topics 9 12-28-2006 08:14 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.