Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is one big difference for me from when I was working. We had rock-solid email.

Now I don't care so much, people can always call.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not happy about Yahoo's new email interface. It's terribly clunky and slow. In contrast, the Gmail interface is cleaner and typically lightning fast. Too bad 95% of my emails go to Yahoo! Mail. Switching costs are exceedingly high!
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #23
Administrator

Another gmail fan here.....

Yahoos been having a really bad month. Yahoo Says Email Accounts Were Hacked But Not How Many : The Two-Way : NPR
Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm guessing - just guessing mind you - it's because you're special.

Obviously I and the other 5,000+ who bothered registering a complaint yesterday around 2:30 PM EST do not share whatever gift has been bestowed upon you.
I'm sure my mother would have agreed with you about me being special.

I'm just pointing out that not everyone is having problems. 5K people seems like a small number of accounts, I'd think there are millions of Yahoo! email accounts.

Maybe I'm using a different Yahoo! email? I say that cuz I have a Yahoo! account I seldom ever use and it does look a little different than my every day Yahoo! account I got when I had ATT internet. I switched to cable a couple of years ago but kept my ATT Yahoo! email account. Maybe that's the difference?
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I'm just pointing out that not everyone is having problems. 5K people seems like a small number of accounts, I'd think there are millions of Yahoo! email accounts.
As I pointed out in an earlier post, if 5k people are bothering to report the problem on an independent status site, that probably represents a tiny fraction of the individuals who are actually experiencing a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Maybe I'm using a different Yahoo! email? I say that cuz I have a Yahoo! account I seldom ever use and it does look a little different than my every day Yahoo! account I got when I had ATT internet. I switched to cable a couple of years ago but kept my ATT Yahoo! email account. Maybe that's the difference?
I think it likely you are correct. My experience is not all Yahoo! email interfaces experience the same level or frequency of the problems I'm seeing. Must be that 'special' thing again.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use Yahoo email as a secondary and have had issues for weeks - glad that it is only used for craigslist and other less critical needs. Gmail is my primary and have never had any issues there. Looking for another secondary as Yahoo no longer seems reliable.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #27

Yahoo mail is my primary account and I was having difficulties a few days ago but it is running fine now. Service will deteriorate sporadically for short periods and then go back to normal. I always assume they're doing revisions and causing the problems themselves.

I like Yahoo's display functionality and readability much better than g-mail. For personal use g-mail is fine but for business I find it difficult to use.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I was having problems with yahoo mail a few weeks ago but seems fine the past few days. In my case, since I am logged in to it on the phone, tablet and laptop, I found that logging out/resetting up accounts on all devices helped stabilize it. I think on the phone, I actually had to remove the account and add the account again.
Try that and see if getting out of mail on all devices helps.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #29

Normally, I use Outlook on my desktop. If I'm not at my desktop, I log on to the same account through my yahoo account which was BellSouth and is now AT&T. I also have a secondary yahoo account. The website formats for yahoo and AT&T yahoo are somewhat different. IMHO neither yahoo format can compare with Outlook (not Outlook Express).

I have assumed that when yahoo is slow or spastic, it's because of my DSL or WIFI connection, whereas Outlook automatically downloads to my desktop PC continuously and is there when I want it.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'm finally getting impatient with Yahoo's slow email. It is slow on a PC platform (both desktop and laptop) but OK on my tablet. Quite often (not always) it takes around 7 seconds to open an email to read it.

Because the android app works much better on my tablet, it occurred to me that installing an app on my Win 7 machine might work better then in the browser. Anyone tried this?

I opened a gmail account and like it so far for reading posts on this forum. I have so many links to the yahoo mail from other places that conversion to gmail will take awhile if I decide to go all the way.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Another gmail fan here.....

Yahoos been having a really bad month. Yahoo Says Email Accounts Were Hacked But Not How Many : The Two-Way : NPR
From that link:

Quote:
Yahoo says that based on its current findings, "the list of usernames and passwords that were used to execute the attack was likely collected from a third-party database compromise."
This makes sense - I highly doubt hackers would be able to infiltrate and/or acquire the Yahoo! master password list and somehow brute hack just a small % of user IDs/passwords. Either everyone at Yahoo would need to reset, or no one would. Since many websites require you to use your e-mail address as your user ID, and since many people use the same password for various accounts, it makes sense that the breach was at a 3rd party.

I'm sure something like this has happened at other e-mail providers (Google, Hotmail, etc.), but I don't really see a need to publicize it. If a 3rd party lost their list and people started logging into your account using your password info, does the e-mail provider really need to announce it? Just like when Living Social was hacked last year (speaking as one of the millions of victims of that breach), I'm sure many people had e-mail accounts that were hacked because they used the same login/password as at Living Social. Same would go for any other website that uses your e-mail as a login, or even stores your e-mail address in your user profile (which would be just about every single damn website out there!)

This is precisely why I use 1 password for my e-mail, another for important financial accounts, yet another for bank accounts, another for credit cards/utilities (that are linked to bank accounts), and different ones for lower risk accounts (like this forum). I know some use a program to generate crazy long passwords for accounts, but I like the ability to log in to my accounts anywhere, and I have a hard enough time remembering passwords for infrequently used accounts as it is.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
...(snip)...
This is precisely why I use 1 password for my e-mail, another for important financial accounts, yet another for bank accounts, another for credit cards/utilities (that are linked to bank accounts), and different ones for lower risk accounts (like this forum). I know some use a program to generate crazy long passwords for accounts, but I like the ability to log in to my accounts anywhere, and I have a hard enough time remembering passwords for infrequently used accounts as it is.
You must have stole those ideas from me.
Good thoughts.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Or you could just choose one from this list:
"Password" unseated by "123456" on SplashData’s annual "Worst Passwords" list
Old 02-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

The new e-mail interface is driving me crazy. It is too different from what I am used to and I can't read the e-mails very well. (threads, who sent what, etc.).

It also spazzes on me. I suppose it is the slow thing. I try to click on one e-mail to mark it spam, and it jumps on me and I have to undo the action.

When signing out, it sends me instead to a social media page that tells me "my profile is hidden--make it visible." I do not ever want to make my profile visible. I want to check out.

Then there are the Yahoo spam advertising messages in my in-box that I cannot get rid of. They are trying to monetize their e-mail.

So far, Yahoo has only converted one of my two accounts to the new format. When I get some time, I am going to use my Gmail account exclusively and have my Yahoo accounts directed there.

IMHO they have shot themselves in the foot.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

The Yahoo spam filter seems to work OK. Not 100%, but OK. Except for the spam messages Yahoo sends me themselves.

Two of my professional friends have been hacked in the past and now I get mountains of spam in my professional Yahoo account the same time every day. When it started, I read a few of them. Then I learned even that was a bad move.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Rough guess, but I think Gmail delivers 1/10th the spam that Yahoo does, and I mean to the spam folder itself.

When I look in the Yahoo spam folder, I don't understand why they aren't more aggressive in rejecting obvious fraud. I know Gmail is much better at that.

BTW, you can turn off the yahoo thread view.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote