Join Early Retirement Today

Yahoo finance badly confused
Old 07-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Yahoo finance badly confused

LOL! Just logged on to check my portfolio and saw that Yahoo has Amgen down today over 50%, resulting in a 2% loss for my portfolio. I freaked out a little, especially when I couldn't find any news on Yahoo to explain. Looked on some other sites and got the correct close. Yahoo is still showing that, even though AMGN was really up 0.33%.

Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
LOL! Just logged on to check my portfolio and saw that Yahoo has Amgen down today over 50%, resulting in a 2% loss for my portfolio. I freaked out a little, especially when I couldn't find any news on Yahoo to explain. Looked on some other sites and got the correct close. Yahoo is still showing that, even though AMGN was really up 0.33%.
Remember in 2008 when they really did drop 2 %. I was scared to open statements, I would not flip channels on tv out of fear I would see the red arrows on a financial network. .

Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #3

After 20+ yrs I ditched Yahoo Finance this week. They've completely ruined it.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Issues with several stock quotes today after 1pm ET market close.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-hours-trading
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quicken downloaded completely wrong stock quotes today causing big drops in a couple of accounts. First time that's ever happened to me. And it was just the stocks I track. The mutual funds were O.K.

Yahoo Finance had the right values.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

According to a guy who works in financial software, Yahoo Quotes has long been the go-to place to get securities quotes. But recently they changed their format so all the screen scrapers started getting wrong results. It wasn't too hard to figure out their new format and make adjustments, but they have continued to change the format to make it unusable for screen scrapers again and again so now it's just an ongoing battle.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:57 AM   #7

MSFT was also out of line on yahoo and google finance. Looking at the 1 day charts it looked like a last minute (end of trading) effect. I wonder if this is just the a last second trade or if it is hacking the system.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #8

I noticed this yesterday as well but it looks like the third party sites have all been corrected now.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
According to a guy who works in financial software, Yahoo Quotes has long been the go-to place to get securities quotes. But recently they changed their format so all the screen scrapers started getting wrong results. It wasn't too hard to figure out their new format and make adjustments, but they have continued to change the format to make it unusable for screen scrapers again and again so now it's just an ongoing battle.
No doubt because Yahoo wants you to look at the adds, which a screen scraper does not do. Since they live and die on add revenue its not surprising, and will likley get worse with the new ownership.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I've always gone to yahoo to look-up historical quotes. It had been reliable, but lately I've encountered some tickers that don't show the history table (even though the graph shows).

What's the alternative for historical quotes / graphs?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #11

Seems it wasn't Yahoo's fault
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/3/15...ket-data-error

For once at least
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
Apparently Amgen is about 4% of your portfolio, which is a considerable amount for any single equity (IMO). Maybe this was fate giving you a bit of a warning/nudge?
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #13

Well, I've only got about 10 stocks in my individual portfolio.

Consider this:
  • Your 20th best idea likely won't be better than your top-5
  • Keeping up even with 10 companies is already quite time consuming

In my view, if you go far beyond 10 or so, better off to go the full monty and index to the entire market. But to each his own.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm surprised anyone still uses Yahoo Finance. They haven't had their act together in years. I moved on a long time ago.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It wasn't Yahoo - they had the correct prices when I checked, although they probably had wrong prices earlier. Quicken imported some wild stock prices - like the daily AAPL high was $646!!!

The cause was some of the data providers. More details at bloomberg if you care: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-hours-trading