Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Yahoo finance new format is useless.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North East
Posts: 172
Yahoo finance new format is useless.

In the past I was able to use a link like:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/IJH...YVLX,DNP,HSFNX
to get a list of the closing prices of the symbols I was following. I could copy and paste the web page to an excel spreadsheet and extract the data. All I had to do is to make sure that all of the closing prices had been updated for today.

With their new format this is no longer possible. Their market time is now only the time and does not include the date. If you look at the list at 6:12 PM EDT and see a closing time of 6:10, was that the close for today, or was that the time it closed yesterday?

Also, the new format has check boxes next to the symbol and the actual symbol is no longer available with a copy and paste.

Since yahoo finance is now useless, can I ask the group where they go to look at closing prices for the day?
__________________

Sandy & Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 848
I can't recommend a new site for you, only agree that over the years yahoo has totally destroyed the finance section & the stock message boards.
__________________

__________________
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast"
ownyourfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
googily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 544
If you want to sell your soul to Google and the cloud, you can use a Google spreadsheet and its built-in Google Finance formulas that update all manner of stock information:

GOOGLEFINANCE(ticker, [attribute], [start_date], [num_days|end_date], [interval])

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
mpeirce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus area
Posts: 2,109
You can still fetch a comma separated list of prices (.csv) from Yahoo using a URL of the form:

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/...wilx+amzn&f=l1

This opens into any spreadsheet app for easy access.

Until recently, I would fetch prices after dinner and open the resulting .csv file into Numbers. Then cut and paste them into my master spreadsheet. It also had the previous day's price (or the last price from when I last fetched prices). Took just a sec and it was easy to see if one of the funds maybe hadn't been updated yet since the price wouldn't have changed.

Last week I switched to using Numbers' new STOCK() function. Now I have all this automated and it's even faster ;-)

FWIW, the STOCK() function in Numbers uses Yahoo Finance stock price info.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tadpole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,267
Export button on that page works fine for me. It opens a csv file and I just copy the price data. But I started using a function called StockQuote (described here:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...nance-udf.html
)

I copy pasted the function and recently had to change the yahoo.com url from http to https. If you copy the function into a module, make the https change and call it with the current date it returns the quote. I just use the today function in cell next to it to get today's date and a third cell has the =StockQuote(ticker, date) in it. It becomes automatic for the current date.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I can't recommend a new site for you, only agree that over the years yahoo has totally destroyed the finance section & the stock message boards.
Yahoo has systematically destroyed its entire product, including the finance section. They could not have done a more thorough job even if they had set out to do exactly that. Amazing, really.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coronado
Posts: 1,167
In addition to the solutions already given, you could create an Excel sheet that uses the Yahoo webservice directly and avoid the entire copy/paste or save/open process. Instructions are here: https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/b...el-spreadsheet
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 13,199
In the Apple world, I have a Numbers spreadsheet (Excel equivalent) that updates my stock prices on practically a real time basis. Once I tell it which symbols I'm interested in, no further action required on my part.

This is a fairly recent new feature in Numbers, and works great.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,069
Try something like for each stock ticker you want to track:

=NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=IJH&f=l1" ))
__________________
Old enough to know better.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado
Hexanova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Try something like for each stock ticker you want to track:

=NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=IJH&f=l1" ))
Learn something new every day. Thank you!
Hexanova is offline   Reply With Quote
notice the adjusted closing price?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
notice the adjusted closing price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy & Shirley View Post
In the past I was able to use a link like:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/IJH...YVLX,DNP,HSFNX
to get a list of the closing prices of the symbols I was following. I could copy and paste the web page to an excel spreadsheet and extract the data. All I had to do is to make sure that all of the closing prices had been updated for today.

With their new format this is no longer possible. Their market time is now only the time and does not include the date. If you look at the list at 6:12 PM EDT and see a closing time of 6:10, was that the close for today, or was that the time it closed yesterday?

Also, the new format has check boxes next to the symbol and the actual symbol is no longer available with a copy and paste.

Since yahoo finance is now useless, can I ask the group where they go to look at closing prices for the day?
They ruined the entire site. The adjusted closing price no longer reflects dividends and splits.
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
Moderator
samclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 14,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yahoo has systematically destroyed its entire product, including the finance section. They could not have done a more thorough job even if they had set out to do exactly that. Amazing, really.
Exactly. They had a thriving set of specialized online discussion groups, too. They refused to make common sense upgrades (it's far less functional than this site--no good way to include attachments, the threads are virtually impossible to follow), and then they "improved" them to bring in more ad revenue and they got worse still. Dial-up CompuServe in 1995 was better. I can't imagine how a company could be so screwed up.

I do not understand why Verizon thought spending money for Yahoo was a good idea.
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 22,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yahoo has systematically destroyed its entire product, including the finance section. They could not have done a more thorough job even if they had set out to do exactly that. Amazing, really.
Yep - I had three views I used all the time. The market overview was nice, but that went to heck about a year ago. Now my stock list summary view and the economic calendar have been clobbered! Aargh!

Is it because someone bought them they decided to destroy it?
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexanova View Post
Learn something new every day. Thank you!
My pleasure.

I use it on the Stocks tab of my Net Worth spreadsheet to track the few individual stocks I own.
__________________
Old enough to know better.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 22,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In the Apple world, I have a Numbers spreadsheet (Excel equivalent) that updates my stock prices on practically a real time basis. Once I tell it which symbols I'm interested in, no further action required on my part.

This is a fairly recent new feature in Numbers, and works great.
I'll be pursuing this when Quicken stops working for me.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,992
I put up with the lack of a date from Yahoo, but then it wouldn't load into my Excel spreadsheet.

I ended up using this Fidelity link:

Fidelity

You can get basic info on as many symbols as you can fit within 100 characters. The symbols are all in the URL, so you can use it as a direct link any time. It is on Fidelity's public pages, so no login required. And the result is simple text that can be loaded into Excel.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
Mo Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: .
Posts: 318
Not to drift, but if you think Yahoo Finance has gone to pot, you ought to subscribe to Flickr, Yahoo's formerly fantastic photo-storage site. They told me to change my password because of the (SECOND!) major hack. When I did so, Flickr locked me out. I sought out its customer service, which is strictly email, not phone or even chat. They contacted me only after a couple of days and wanted me to remember the exact names of five file folders in my Flicker account, as well as the payment info for my last subscription. I gave them the payment info right down to the 20-digit paypal transaction number. But I could only remember file names generally like "Pug Pictures." That was not satisfactory; I was close, but the titles were not EXACT. I was locked out for weeks until a password-reset link mysteriously appeared in an email from customer service that actually finally worked. Yahoo is going south. Fast. Moving my photos to Google.
__________________
“We always may be what we might have been.” -- Adelaide Anne Procter
Mo Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North East
Posts: 172
Thanks for all of the feedback, just looks like Yahoo is dead. RIP
Sandy & Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 22,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
You can still fetch a comma separated list of prices (.csv) from Yahoo using a URL of the form:

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/...wilx+amzn&f=l1

This opens into any spreadsheet app for easy access.

Until recently, I would fetch prices after dinner and open the resulting .csv file into Numbers. Then cut and paste them into my master spreadsheet. It also had the previous day's price (or the last price from when I last fetched prices). Took just a sec and it was easy to see if one of the funds maybe hadn't been updated yet since the price wouldn't have changed.

Last week I switched to using Numbers' new STOCK() function. Now I have all this automated and it's even faster ;-)

FWIW, the STOCK() function in Numbers uses Yahoo Finance stock price info.
Yay for this stock function! I might be able to automatically update my spreadsheets. Right now I cut and paste a column of numbers from Quicken. Easy enough to modify the code to directly pull the numbers.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
UnrealizedPotential's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 928
I gave up on Yahoo finance a long time ago. Nowadays I use market watch. It seems to be pretty close to real time quotes. YMMV.
__________________

__________________
Understanding both the power of compound interest and the difficulty of getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yahoo Finance - Dead is the new RE! DougViages Life after FIRE 47 07-06-2009 11:54 AM
question - yahoo/finance MF performance percent vs costs joesxm3 FIRE and Money 2 09-19-2007 09:24 PM
Yahoo Finance's new charting feature. Ed_The_Gypsy FIRE and Money 4 12-29-2006 12:00 PM
Help me save yahoo finance... laurence Young Dreamers 103 10-31-2006 02:01 PM
Yahoo "Finance Quiz" Walker101 FIRE and Money 242 06-15-2004 10:56 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.