Join Early Retirement Today

Yahoo finance new format is useless.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Yahoo finance new format is useless.

In the past I was able to use a link like:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/IJH...YVLX,DNP,HSFNX
to get a list of the closing prices of the symbols I was following. I could copy and paste the web page to an excel spreadsheet and extract the data. All I had to do is to make sure that all of the closing prices had been updated for today.

With their new format this is no longer possible. Their market time is now only the time and does not include the date. If you look at the list at 6:12 PM EDT and see a closing time of 6:10, was that the close for today, or was that the time it closed yesterday?

Also, the new format has check boxes next to the symbol and the actual symbol is no longer available with a copy and paste.

Since yahoo finance is now useless, can I ask the group where they go to look at closing prices for the day?
Sandy & Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't recommend a new site for you, only agree that over the years yahoo has totally destroyed the finance section & the stock message boards.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you want to sell your soul to Google and the cloud, you can use a Google spreadsheet and its built-in Google Finance formulas that update all manner of stock information:

GOOGLEFINANCE(ticker, [attribute], [start_date], [num_days|end_date], [interval])

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

You can still fetch a comma separated list of prices (.csv) from Yahoo using a URL of the form:

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/...wilx+amzn&f=l1

This opens into any spreadsheet app for easy access.

Until recently, I would fetch prices after dinner and open the resulting .csv file into Numbers. Then cut and paste them into my master spreadsheet. It also had the previous day's price (or the last price from when I last fetched prices). Took just a sec and it was easy to see if one of the funds maybe hadn't been updated yet since the price wouldn't have changed.

Last week I switched to using Numbers' new STOCK() function. Now I have all this automated and it's even faster ;-)

FWIW, the STOCK() function in Numbers uses Yahoo Finance stock price info.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

Export button on that page works fine for me. It opens a csv file and I just copy the price data. But I started using a function called StockQuote (described here:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...nance-udf.html
)

I copy pasted the function and recently had to change the yahoo.com url from http to https. If you copy the function into a module, make the https change and call it with the current date it returns the quote. I just use the today function in cell next to it to get today's date and a third cell has the =StockQuote(ticker, date) in it. It becomes automatic for the current date.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I can't recommend a new site for you, only agree that over the years yahoo has totally destroyed the finance section & the stock message boards.
Yahoo has systematically destroyed its entire product, including the finance section. They could not have done a more thorough job even if they had set out to do exactly that. Amazing, really.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #7

In addition to the solutions already given, you could create an Excel sheet that uses the Yahoo webservice directly and avoid the entire copy/paste or save/open process. Instructions are here: https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/b...el-spreadsheet
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #8

In the Apple world, I have a Numbers spreadsheet (Excel equivalent) that updates my stock prices on practically a real time basis. Once I tell it which symbols I'm interested in, no further action required on my part.

This is a fairly recent new feature in Numbers, and works great.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
gone traveling

Try something like for each stock ticker you want to track:

=NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=IJH&f=l1" ))
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Try something like for each stock ticker you want to track:

=NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=IJH&f=l1" ))
Learn something new every day. Thank you!
Hexanova is offline   Reply With Quote
notice the adjusted closing price?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #11

notice the adjusted closing price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy & Shirley View Post
In the past I was able to use a link like:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/IJH...YVLX,DNP,HSFNX
to get a list of the closing prices of the symbols I was following. I could copy and paste the web page to an excel spreadsheet and extract the data. All I had to do is to make sure that all of the closing prices had been updated for today.

With their new format this is no longer possible. Their market time is now only the time and does not include the date. If you look at the list at 6:12 PM EDT and see a closing time of 6:10, was that the close for today, or was that the time it closed yesterday?

Also, the new format has check boxes next to the symbol and the actual symbol is no longer available with a copy and paste.

Since yahoo finance is now useless, can I ask the group where they go to look at closing prices for the day?
They ruined the entire site. The adjusted closing price no longer reflects dividends and splits.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yahoo has systematically destroyed its entire product, including the finance section. They could not have done a more thorough job even if they had set out to do exactly that. Amazing, really.
Exactly. They had a thriving set of specialized online discussion groups, too. They refused to make common sense upgrades (it's far less functional than this site--no good way to include attachments, the threads are virtually impossible to follow), and then they "improved" them to bring in more ad revenue and they got worse still. Dial-up CompuServe in 1995 was better. I can't imagine how a company could be so screwed up.

I do not understand why Verizon thought spending money for Yahoo was a good idea.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yep - I had three views I used all the time. The market overview was nice, but that went to heck about a year ago. Now my stock list summary view and the economic calendar have been clobbered! Aargh!

Is it because someone bought them they decided to destroy it?
Old 05-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexanova View Post
Learn something new every day. Thank you!
My pleasure.

I use it on the Stocks tab of my Net Worth spreadsheet to track the few individual stocks I own.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In the Apple world, I have a Numbers spreadsheet (Excel equivalent) that updates my stock prices on practically a real time basis. Once I tell it which symbols I'm interested in, no further action required on my part.

This is a fairly recent new feature in Numbers, and works great.
I'll be pursuing this when Quicken stops working for me.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #16

I put up with the lack of a date from Yahoo, but then it wouldn't load into my Excel spreadsheet.

I ended up using this Fidelity link:

Fidelity

You can get basic info on as many symbols as you can fit within 100 characters. The symbols are all in the URL, so you can use it as a direct link any time. It is on Fidelity's public pages, so no login required. And the result is simple text that can be loaded into Excel.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to drift, but if you think Yahoo Finance has gone to pot, you ought to subscribe to Flickr, Yahoo's formerly fantastic photo-storage site. They told me to change my password because of the (SECOND!) major hack. When I did so, Flickr locked me out. I sought out its customer service, which is strictly email, not phone or even chat. They contacted me only after a couple of days and wanted me to remember the exact names of five file folders in my Flicker account, as well as the payment info for my last subscription. I gave them the payment info right down to the 20-digit paypal transaction number. But I could only remember file names generally like "Pug Pictures." That was not satisfactory; I was close, but the titles were not EXACT. I was locked out for weeks until a password-reset link mysteriously appeared in an email from customer service that actually finally worked. Yahoo is going south. Fast. Moving my photos to Google.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all of the feedback, just looks like Yahoo is dead. RIP
Sandy & Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
You can still fetch a comma separated list of prices (.csv) from Yahoo using a URL of the form:

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/...wilx+amzn&f=l1

This opens into any spreadsheet app for easy access.

Until recently, I would fetch prices after dinner and open the resulting .csv file into Numbers. Then cut and paste them into my master spreadsheet. It also had the previous day's price (or the last price from when I last fetched prices). Took just a sec and it was easy to see if one of the funds maybe hadn't been updated yet since the price wouldn't have changed.

Last week I switched to using Numbers' new STOCK() function. Now I have all this automated and it's even faster ;-)

FWIW, the STOCK() function in Numbers uses Yahoo Finance stock price info.
Yay for this stock function! I might be able to automatically update my spreadsheets. Right now I cut and paste a column of numbers from Quicken. Easy enough to modify the code to directly pull the numbers.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #20

I gave up on Yahoo finance a long time ago. Nowadays I use market watch. It seems to be pretty close to real time quotes. YMMV.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote