Yahoo mail....what are those little yellow boxes

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
up on top. I clicked the x and they disappear but they are there the next time I log in to my e-mail. Just now I made 3 disappear but the 4th wouldn't and when I tried to log out , another message came up saying I would lose all my chats? if I left.............is that what they are? chats? and how can I get rid of them? I was afraid if said to get rid of them something worse would happen so maybe I'll do it while on a public computer instead.

Wow! I don't have THOSE.... that has never happened to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was some kind of chat. I'd just delete them if it was me. There is probably some way to disable them (since I don't have them).

Edited to add: They seem to have added something called "updates", where you can get status messages from people. That's probably what you have to disable. Go to the updates section (in the upper middle of my page, though I have the classic format) and click on "manage settings".

Last edited:
W2R.........thanks for your help. I thought I had the classic format because I had never opted to change , but I guess I didn't have it. Inspired by your words, I went to options up at top right (I didn't see settings) and it gave me a choice of classic or something else.
I picked classic and it wanted to know why I was leaving.......one of the choices was ads so I selected that. The format changed and the little yellow boxes disappeared. The updates however did appear........I had seen those before. They don't bother me as much......not sure why.....maybe bc I know one of the parties listed. The titles on the little yellow boxes seemed like junk mail.

Anyway......seems more like the old days....for now anyway. Thanks again for your help.

hello kaneohe - it sounds like you may have a virus (?). Do you have Norton or a similar anti virus software product installed on your PC ?

ob.......thanks for your suggestion........I guess I spoke too soon after I changed to the old classic format, it seemed like things were back to normal but I just logged in again & those things are back in another format.
We have a Mac ..........not sure what it has ............ guess I'll see what happens on the public computer tomorrow.

A friend of mine got something on his e-mail so I've been avoiding
e-mails from addresses I didn't recognize esp. if they sounded like Facebook type invites. These new chat things have images that suggest Facebook or similar type things but they're not regular e-mails.

another piece of data.....I'm on the library computer now (not at home) and I still see the same "chat" message so looks like it's my Yahoo mail account , not the home computer that's the issue?

You might want to check your mail options (near the upper right corner of the page: Options - Mail Options), then check your General settings, see if you have Social Features checked on (1st check box). Then check the rest of your settings. I find blocking unwanted chat sessions almost impossible to turn off from people I don't know.

dimsumkid..........thanks for your tips. I'll poke around when I get a chance.
I've been opening each site in a separate window.....like er.org in one window,
yahoo mail in another. Used to be that you could easily tell from the window names that one was er and the other was the yahoo mail site. Now the chat-related item has taken over where the yahoo mail name so I''m wondering if things will get worse if I go to that window.

Back
Top Bottom