Yahoos Riot on May Day In Downtown Seattle

One wonders why the owners of the damaged property did not vigorously protect it.

Every time there is an Occupy event here in Oakland, the boards go up over windows in many of the big businesses (and some of the small ones too). Bank Of America is boarded up on a very regular basis, as they particularly like to hit that place.

This time, amongst other actions, the rioters trashed a lot of small businesses in the Mission district of SF. The Mission district is heavily latino and most, if not all, the businesses that suffered damage were small mom and pop type operations, which makes no sense at all. One of the business owners was quoted as saying that she understood the troublemakers didn't represent the core activists behind Occupy but the way she looked at it, if it wasn't for their movement, all this senseless damage wouldn't have happened at all.

I think that people often figure that insurance will cover it, so it's all OK. That's often not the case with small businesses and these kinds of actions, particularly if repeated, can force them to close down for good.

It's disgusting behavior.

Last edited:
Every time there is an Occupy event here in Oakland, the boards go up over windows in many of the big businesses (and some of the small ones too). Bank Of America is boarded up on a very regular basis, as they particularly like to hit that place.

This time, amongst other actions, the rioters trashed a lot of small businesses in the Mission district of SF. The Mission district is heavily latino and most, if not all, the businesses that suffered damage were small mom and pop type operations, which makes no sense at all. One of the business owners was quoted as saying that she understood the troublemakers didn't represent the core activists behind the Occupy movement, but the way she looked at it, if it wasn't for Occupy, all this senseless damage wouldn't have happened at all.

I think that people often figure that insurance will cover it, so it's all OK. That's often not the case with small businesses and these kinds of actions, particularly if repeated, can force them to close down for good.

Yes, it is senseless.

Trashed Mission District businesses want answers

Those pictures are from my neighborhood, where I live and work. It feels like a violation of our rather peaceful and polite city. Masked cowards who use civil protest as a cover for evil.

:(

SIS

Usually it is a few anarchists that will plan the violence.... and tag along with others who do not want violence... it makes it look like their cause has more people....

Or it could be just some hoodloms who thought that it would be a good idea to do some of this under cover of a crowd...

Hopefully there is some video and some will be caught.... but the anarchists know better and hide their faces...

Time for rubber bullets, tear gas and batons

This time, amongst other actions, the rioters trashed a lot of small businesses in the Mission district of SF. The Mission district is heavily latino and most, if not all, the businesses that suffered damage were small mom and pop type operations, which makes no sense at all. One of the business owners was quoted as saying that she understood the troublemakers didn't represent the core activists behind Occupy but the way she looked at it, if it wasn't for their movement, all this senseless damage wouldn't have happened at all.

How did she know that the troublemakers didn't represent the core activists behind Occupy? The core activists WERE a part of these civil disorders simply because they could have stopped it or worked with the authorities to prevent or minimize it. They chose not to. Like in every other situation, one is either part of the solution or part of the problem. [MOD EDIT]. I think the lady storeowner who was interviewed was just being nice so that the[y] [MOD EDIT] would not go after her or her business.

And the Occupy movement claims to be for the working men and women? What a farce!! [MOD EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Why rubber bullets? Why risk the possibility of the police getting injured using batons? Remember the Korean immigrant merchants who defended their businesses and their lives with real bullets during the Rodney King riots twenty years ago? It worked quite well then.

Fortunately, they haven't caused any significant harm. It's all just prole on prole violence. No country clubs, executive heliports, or residential enclaves have been threatened or damaged.

Actually, the Seattle Police used that exact strategy during the World Trade Organization meeting. It hasn't deterred the anarchists.

-- Rita

Is there a FIRE aspect to this topic, other than downtown Seattle becoming a less attractive location to retire?

Last edited:
Is there a FIRE aspect to this topic, other than downtown Seattle becoming a less attractive location to retire?

here's the FIRE aspect

20120427_064252_dn29-mccoy3_400.jpg

Why rubber bullets? Why risk the possibility of the police getting injured using batons? Remember the Korean immigrant merchants who defended their businesses and their lives with real bullets during the Rodney King riots twenty years ago? It worked quite well then.

I was trying to be politically correct:LOL:, but heck yeah, if it were my business, I'd be out their defending it with a TRP Operater strapped to my hip.

I was trying to be politically correct:LOL:, but heck yeah, if it were my business, I'd be out their defending it with a TRP Operater strapped to my hip.

If it were my business 1) it would have been well insured and 2) I would have been sticking a 12ga in the snout of these yahoos (and I would not be using rubber bullets).

If it were my business 1) it would have been well insured and 2) I would have been sticking a 12ga in the snout of these yahoos (and I would not be using rubber bullets).
These are all high end national and international retailers- Starbucks, Barney's, Tiffany, Nordstrom, J. Crew, ...Aeropostale.

Not really the type of shops to have some guy with a shotgun on hand. Besides, the management is much more interested in avoiding trouble and bad press than they are in protecting their stores and inventory.

I would guess the "occupiers" are smart enough to stay away from the cigarette shops and nail parlors and Asian groceries out on 99N, or similar local and/or ethnic businesses.

The SPD IMO is notorious for not doing a good job of crowd control. And they are currently under a justice department investigation for racial and other insensititivities in their policing. They are perceived to have a bad habit of shooting poor people who do not pose any obvious threat to anyone.

Ha

Last edited:
Time for rubber bullets
Rubber bullets should only be used on those people throwing rubber rocks, rubber bricks or rubber bottles............if real rocks, bricks or bottles are thrown....well then.........

My perverse approach:

After placing lots of high quality recording cameras in likely problem areas I wonder if some exploding packets of permanent dye placed where damage is likely to occur might help identify perpetrators. Just make the ink characteristics slightly different from shop to shop and it shouldn't be difficult to associate a perpetrators with behavior.

Wow, looks like police stood by and just let it happen. That is really close to a condo tower the DW and I were looking at buying into. Escala. Wonder if it was targeted?

Wow, looks like police stood by and just let it happen. That is really close to a condo tower the DW and I were looking at buying into. Escala. Wonder if it was targeted?
SPD have a great history of this. Hurry over, and then stand around even while someone is being killed or raped. Google Fat Tuesday killing. No way will I ever be downtown for any parade or celebration. No way to tell if the bad guys will show up, but if they do you are likely without any meaningful help.

However, they are much better at shooting old deaf, drunken woodcarvers who are just trying to stagger across the street..

SPD have a great history of this. Hurry over, and then stand around even while someone is being killed or raped. Google Fat Tuesday killing. No way will I ever be downtown for any parade or celebration. No way to tell if the bad guys will show up, but if they do you are likely without any meaningful help.

However, they are much better at shooting old deaf, drunken woodcarvers who are just trying to stagger across the street..
Ha, I have a casual acquaintance in Seattle that drives a cab and he said the unmentionable (because of PC) truth is that John Williams was "yes", an old deaf woodcarver but he was also a violent, hate filled, obnoxious, mean, drunk.

Ha, I have a casual acquaintance in Seattle that drives a cab and he said the unmentionable (because of PC) truth is that John Williams was "yes", an old deaf woodcarver but he was also a violent, hate filled, obnoxious, mean, drunk.
Thanks Zero, I appreciate the on-scene report. But as best I know there is no bounty on obnoxious, mean drunks. They have to be a current threat. To my knowledge (which is sketchy), no one who has looked at the video from the cruiser thinks that the cop was under a realistic threat. I am sure that pressure group agitation has a lot to do with the justice department investigation, but there has to be something more than that as these pressure groups are omnipresent, and not every big city police department is under investigation.

Ha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom