Join Early Retirement Today

YDBIYDB?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

YDBIYDB?

I was reading today in the WSJ about a company testing people for tobacco use and firing them if they don't submit to the test. About others like Scotts Miracle Grow who have put an outright ban on smoking even off the job - they are threatening to fire those that are still smoking as of next fall. The reasoning has to do with lowering health costs to the company. I think employees will be seeing more and more of this.

"Next October, the Marysville, Ohio, company said it will begin randomly testing about 20% of its work force nationwide where it is legal to do so. (Ohio is among the states that don't have specific smoker-protection laws.) The company says it hasn't worked out the details of how to test employees. Workers found to be still smoking or using other tobacco products habitually could be fired, Scotts says, as long as they work in states where such termination is legal. In states that do have smoker-protection laws, employees who are on the company's medical plan could see their health-care premiums become "substantially higher," though details aren't final yet, the company adds.

The tobacco initiative is part of a broad wellness program that includes a $5 million fitness gym and health clinic opened last month near the company's headquarters. Employees on the company's medical plan will have free access in the clinic to a physician, nurse practitioners, diet and fitness experts and a pharmacy with generic drugs.

In return, every year employees will face a strict requirement: Take a health assessment through a program affiliated with medical-information Web site WebMD Health Corp. -- or pay $40 extra a month in health-care costs. The health assessment starts with a form to be filled out online. Then, a "health coach" contacts the employee and arranges a treatment regimen for any health issues. The employee must follow through with the recommendations or pay higher premiums, though the exact amount hasn't been worked out yet.

The wellness program is administered by Whole Health Management Inc., a Cleveland company. Whole Health Management also works with Continental Airlines, Sprint Nextel and Nissan, among others.

Scotts' Mr. Hagedorn said he has "gotten pretty religious" about his employees' health recently. Last year, the company abolished smoking from its corporate campus, and the company cafeteria has cut down on fried food, instead offering up baked salmon and other fish. Vending machines dispense more "granola stuff," he said. By company mandate, employees who leave work during the work day for the gym won't be penalized.

Mr. Hagedorn, 50 years old, once smoked two packs of cigarettes a day but quit 20 years ago after his mother died of lung cancer. He said he understands how difficult it is to quit smoking but also how important it is. "Are we going to stand by and watch our people get sick? The answer is no," he said. "Success here is not firing anybody."

Linda Sutkin, a 31-year employee of the lawn and gardening-products company who works in customer service, won't have that worry. After a company-sponsored smoking-cessation program and Zyban, a medication to help quit, the 50-year-old smoked her last cigarette in January 2004. She misses the camaraderie of smoking with friends on breaks but is glad she quit.

Other smokers at headquarters are concerned about the company's October deadline, she says. "The consensus is like, is this the end or is it going to lead to something else?" she says. "Are they going to watch what we eat?"
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: YDBIYDB?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
I was reading today in the WSJ about a company testing people for tobacco use and firing them if they don't submit to the test. About others like Scotts Miracle Grow who have put an outright ban on smoking even off the job - they are threatening to fire those that are still smoking as of next fall. The reasoning has to do with lowering health costs to the company. I think employees will be seeing more and more of this.

"Next October, the Marysville, Ohio, company said it will begin randomly testing about 20% of its work force nationwide where it is legal to do so. (Ohio is among the states that don't have specific smoker-protection laws.) The company says it hasn't worked out the details of how to test employees. Workers found to be still smoking or using other tobacco products habitually could be fired, Scotts says, as long as they work in states where such termination is legal. In states that do have smoker-protection laws, employees who are on the company's medical plan could see their health-care premiums become "substantially higher," though details aren't final yet, the company adds.

The tobacco initiative is part of a broad wellness program that includes a $5 million fitness gym and health clinic opened last month near the company's headquarters. Employees on the company's medical plan will have free access in the clinic to a physician, nurse practitioners, diet and fitness experts and a pharmacy with generic drugs.

In return, every year employees will face a strict requirement: Take a health assessment through a program affiliated with medical-information Web site WebMD Health Corp. -- or pay $40 extra a month in health-care costs. The health assessment starts with a form to be filled out online. Then, a "health coach" contacts the employee and arranges a treatment regimen for any health issues. The employee must follow through with the recommendations or pay higher premiums, though the exact amount hasn't been worked out yet.

The wellness program is administered by Whole Health Management Inc., a Cleveland company. Whole Health Management also works with Continental Airlines, Sprint Nextel and Nissan, among others.

Scotts' Mr. Hagedorn said he has "gotten pretty religious" about his employees' health recently. Last year, the company abolished smoking from its corporate campus, and the company cafeteria has cut down on fried food, instead offering up baked salmon and other fish. Vending machines dispense more "granola stuff," he said. By company mandate, employees who leave work during the work day for the gym won't be penalized.

Mr. Hagedorn, 50 years old, once smoked two packs of cigarettes a day but quit 20 years ago after his mother died of lung cancer. He said he understands how difficult it is to quit smoking but also how important it is. "Are we going to stand by and watch our people get sick? The answer is no," he said. "Success here is not firing anybody."

Linda Sutkin, a 31-year employee of the lawn and gardening-products company who works in customer service, won't have that worry. After a company-sponsored smoking-cessation program and Zyban, a medication to help quit, the 50-year-old smoked her last cigarette in January 2004. She misses the camaraderie of smoking with friends on breaks but is glad she quit.

Other smokers at headquarters are concerned about the company's October deadline, she says. "The consensus is like, is this the end or is it going to lead to something else?" she says. "Are they going to watch what we eat?"
DW has smoked like forever (and she works in health care - go figure).
I never smoked (cigarettes) but I understand the appeal. I even enjoy
a LITTLE second hand smoke. Still, I wish she would quit. However,
I dare not push it. She says "something is going to kill me anyway
and I might as well not be stressed out (from trying to quit)." I don't
(knowingly) allow smokers to rent our condo and DW volunteered
to smoke outside when we are there. That was thoughtful.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:38 AM   #3

I thought smokers cost less to society since they kick the bucket earlier (dont have to pay long pension or social security payments). Not to mention all of those great regressive sales taxes.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
I thought smokers cost less to society since they kick the bucket earlier (dont have to pay long pension or social security payments). Not to mention all of those great regressive sales taxes.
Good one
Maybe the administration will push smoking now to smoke the looming Social Security problem!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

What is next?
If you are overweight you are also creating a huge health insurance debt since that is the third largest reason for death in the US today.

Then it will be alcohol use. If you drink at all on your own time Big Brother will monitor it and fire you.

How about other personal lifestyle choices?
If you are single then they will monitor your safe sex practices. Might get fired if you don't cover your body in latex before having sex.

I am a reformed smoker but I do not agree with Big Brother making me change personal life style choices with the threat of losing my job. That is going to far in my mind. If you want to kill yourself fine, maybe paying a "sin" surcharge on your health insurance would be a better option. If you want to play...you gotta pay.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

> How about other personal lifestyle choices?
> If you are single then they will monitor your safe sex practices. Might get > fired if you don't cover your body in latex before having sex.

You might also actually get fired covering your body in latex before having sex. This is what happened to Edouard Stern 48yo "Mozart de la Finance" the 38th wealthiest frenchman (700M€)

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edouard_Stern
http://www.tdg.ch/tghome/toute_l_inf...s__30_11_.html
Old 12-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Might get fired if you don't cover your body in latex before having sex.
Sounds kinky
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Sounds kinky
...and he's running for governor. His campaign slogan: "Why the Hell not?"

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/
Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
...and he's running for governor. His campaign slogan: "Why the Hell not?"

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/
Not fair Wahoo! This is a virtual hijack of the thread (which I cannot figure what it is ultimately about) Kinky Friedman deserves his own thread. Early music hits included "Get your Muffins in the Oven and Your Buns In Bed" and the like. As a northern boy I thought when southern/Texan/cowboys staterd having this kind of humor about themselves it represented a emotional and artistic maturity.

But is great to listen to. KF is one Texan I would vote for. Wonder ig JG know about him?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
What is next?
If you are overweight you are also creating a huge health insurance debt since that is the third largest reason for death in the US today.

Then it will be alcohol use. If you drink at all on your own time Big Brother will monitor it and fire you.

How about other personal lifestyle choices?
If you are single then they will monitor your safe sex practices. Might get fired if you don't cover your body in latex before having sex.
There are longevity and health differences in married vs. unmarried people. Do we get fired for getting tickets for not wearing seatbelts? There are groups arguing Nutra-Sweet and Splenda are nasty and unhealthy. Same for sugar, I guess. Owners of "dangerous" dog breeds should probably get the boot, too, lest they get mauled on company insurance. Having babies creates all sorts of health costs! Think of what the company could save by preventing children.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

YDBIYDB -- as long as you're willing to pay for it!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For those of you concerned about smoking and the prospect of employers testing you for the presence of nicotine, here's a possible solution:

http://www.urineluck.com/

Gotta love that URL!

Old 12-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
For those of you concerned about smoking and the prospect of employers testing you for the presence of nicotine, here's a possible solution:

http://www.urineluck.com/

Gotta love that URL!

I do!
It sounds like one or two drinks of this and YDBIYDB again!
and if you have too many YMNRWYDBI.

Product Directions:
1 Avoid nicotine 48 hours before deadline. 2 Do not drink more than 16 oz. of water per hour. 3 On the day of the deadline, eat and drink normal quantities, avoid foods high in sugar. 4 If possible, schedule nicotine test deadline for the afternoon and urinate 3 - 4 times after consuming the Absolute Detox Carbo-Drink. 5 Drink is effective for 45 minutes to 5 hours, however peak effectiveness is at 2 hours. 6 As with any nicotine test, avoid foods or drinks high in sugar content (fruit juices) and avoid strenuous exercise the day of the nicotine test. Otherwise, eat and drink normally. 7 The drink tastes better if it is refrigerated prior to consumption.

Product Warnings:
This product is not intended for use on lawfully administered drug tests and is to be used in accordance with all federal and state laws.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:09 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Or you can be like Onterrio Smith and be known as the "whizzinator" for the rest of your life.

Providing anyone has him on their team ever again, you know he's gonna get a handoff and hear "Out of the backfield...its the Whizzinator...tackled at the 50"..."Hey bob, thats the ORIGINAL Whizzinator you're talking about, not just any old Whizzinator"...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote