Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
What is it they say about those old gm cars...they run badly longer than most other cars run..or something like that.
LOL, glad to hear I'm not the only one who's used that line. I think the most miles anyone in my family got out of a GM car was Mom's '86 Monte Carlo, with a 305 V-8. She bought it new at the end of the model year, and gave it to me with about 179,000 miles on it in early 1998. I had it all of three months. Got t-boned delivering pizzas with it, and it was a hard enough hit to total it. Final mileage, 192,000. So in just three short months, I racked up 13000 miles!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #62

We had a 98 Dodge Caravan that we had to donate to the glue factory last year (16 years) when it started having electronic problems that no one could easily trace down. It had 185k miles on it and looked and ran very nicely until the computer started making the engine do dangerous things (surging, dying at inappropriate times). We had several shops including the dealership try to diagnose the problem, but they all gave up. Actually they each offered to keep testing components, but wanted $125/hr and said they'd just be guessing what to test.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
We had a 98 Dodge Caravan that we had to donate to the glue factory last year (16 years) when it started having electronic problems that no one could easily trace down. It had 185k miles on it and looked and ran very nicely until the computer started making the engine do dangerous things (surging, dying at inappropriate times). We had several shops including the dealership try to diagnose the problem, but they all gave up. Actually they each offered to keep testing components, but wanted $125/hr and said they'd just be guessing what to test.
My 2000 Intrepid went through a spat something like that. One day I was driving along and it just cut out on me without warning. I coasted to the side of the road, stopped, put it in park, and turned the key to see what would happen and it fired right up. I thought it was a one time glitch, but then it happened a few weeks later, and then started happening more often. It got to the point I was getting so accustomed to it that I could throw it in neutral and start it up again. But, eventually it refused to start, leaving me stranded at work.

The next day it started with no trouble at all, and I drove it to my mechanic. Naturally, it didn't act up for him. He adjusted some vacuum hoses and said to take it home and give it a try over the weekend. It stalled out again about a half hour later so I took it back.

I got online and found that either a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor could be the culprit. Unfortunately, the computer didn't store error codes for either one, so replacing them was trial by error. I had the mechanic replace them both at the same time, and it was about $500 for both. That was around May of 2008 and the car never stalled out again in the 18 months I had it after that, so I guess one of those sensors did the trick!

Mine never surged though. It would simply stall out. Sometimes, if I feathered the gas pedal just right, it would simply buck and kick for a couple seconds, but wouldn't stall, at least.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #64

Still have a Revel 1958 Chevy I got as a kid ( 1958 Chevy, geez, what an ugly car ) the year the stylist group at GM snatched defeat from the jaws of victory
Not quite sure of the mileage
Old 09-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Still have a Revel 1958 Chevy I got as a kid ( 1958 Chevy, geez, what an ugly car ) the year the stylist group at GM snatched defeat from the jaws of victory
Not quite sure of the mileage
I had a Revell model of a '58 Impala when I was a kid. It was blue with a white top, I think. I remember it had some extra pieces so you could build it to look factory stock, or customize it. I forget which way Dad and I built it.

Alas, when I was in 4th grade, one rainy Saturday I decided to have a demolition derby with all the scale models Dad and I had made, so that Impala, along 8 or 9 other "classics" were destroyed forever...

I actually kinda like the '58 Chevy. The main thing that scares me about them though, is that the wasp-waisted X-frame they used is horrible when it comes to crashworthiness. I know, all old cars are bad by today's standards, but those X-frames were even worse.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #66

I wasn't much into models unless they had an engine, mostly airplanes. But I did have one Cox .049 glow engine driven tether car with a 1964 Buick Riviera plastic body on it. Gear driven, I was surprised at how fast that car went.

I let it run free once, and that plastic body was done for.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Doesn't count for this thread but along the GM comment line - I got a 'free' for the cost of paperwork transfer a GM Sonoma pickup 5 speed with 180,000 miles on it and gave it away at 251,000 miles to the son of the first 'free'.

heh heh heh -
Old 09-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
LOL, glad to hear I'm not the only one who's used that line. I think the most miles anyone in my family got out of a GM car was Mom's '86 Monte Carlo, with a 305 V-8. She bought it new at the end of the model year, and gave it to me with about 179,000 miles on it in early 1998. I had it all of three months. Got t-boned delivering pizzas with it, and it was a hard enough hit to total it. Final mileage, 192,000. So in just three short months, I racked up 13000 miles!
That's a lot of pizza - or is there another story about the 13K miles? A girl in another city, perhaps? That's just the romantic in me, of course. But, never mind as YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
My 2000 Intrepid went through a spat something like that. One day I was driving along and it just cut out on me without warning. I coasted to the side of the road, stopped, put it in park, and turned the key to see what would happen and it fired right up. I thought it was a one time glitch, but then it happened a few weeks later, and then started happening more often. It got to the point I was getting so accustomed to it that I could throw it in neutral and start it up again. But, eventually it refused to start, leaving me stranded at work.

The next day it started with no trouble at all, and I drove it to my mechanic. Naturally, it didn't act up for him. He adjusted some vacuum hoses and said to take it home and give it a try over the weekend. It stalled out again about a half hour later so I took it back.

I got online and found that either a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor could be the culprit. Unfortunately, the computer didn't store error codes for either one, so replacing them was trial by error. I had the mechanic replace them both at the same time, and it was about $500 for both. That was around May of 2008 and the car never stalled out again in the 18 months I had it after that, so I guess one of those sensors did the trick!

Mine never surged though. It would simply stall out. Sometimes, if I feathered the gas pedal just right, it would simply buck and kick for a couple seconds, but wouldn't stall, at least.
I wish we had been able to find our problem like you did yours. I searched online but couldn't seem to pinpoint or even narrow down much what the problem could be. That was a convenient, cheap car that held 16 years of memories of soccer, school, girl scouts, camping, and road trips, and we were surprisingly sad when we had to say goodbye to it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #70

We've always done a lot of driving. When DH and I were working full-time his place of employment was about 60 miles away from mine so one or both of us always had to do a lot of driving. Now, we don't drive as much.

Our highest mileage car is actually in the possession of our son who is in college. It is a 2008 Prius with about 130k miles on it. The cars were are driving are a 2012 and a 2013.

The highest we had was an Excursion some years ago that had almost 200k when we sold it. I think it was about 10 years old then.

I don't usually keep cars longer than that. I think that newer vehicles are safer so wouldn't want to keep one much longer than that.