Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Yellow Jackets
Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Isn't home-owning wonderful?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Isn't home-owning wonderful?

Ha
We have been taking a very hard look at just that. With our ER next year we will have less "need" for the cabin and less tolerance for high repair costs and the constant concern about it because is it out of sight much of the time. Our frugal but fun side wants to cash in on the run up in equity...our other side likes living in the woods but that is only possible 9 months of the year at best so living there is not an option.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I was out on my rear deck one day and noticed some insects flying around my ankles. Then I noticed that I was in excruciating pain. Turns out that there was a white-faced hornet nest about the size of a basketball located directly under my deck. I had been walking over top of this thing all Summer. This particular day I must have irritated them.

That evening (well after dark) I crawled under the deck with a flashlight and some wasp spray. I aimed the spray directly into the entrance hole of the nest and then saturated the outside of the nest with it. I then scrambled out from under the deck as quickly as I could. All hell then broke loose. Hornets were flying everywhere, bouncing off off the house, windows, etc. An inspection the following day revealed a few stragglers still entering/leaving the nest so I repeated the treatment that night. This did the trick.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender
I was out on my rear deck one day and noticed some insects flying around my ankles.* Then I noticed that I was in excruciating pain.* Turns out that there was a white-faced hornet nest about the size of a basketball located directly under my deck.* I had been walking over top of this thing all Summer.* This particular day I must have irritated them.
What happend was the colony had finally become strong enough to take you on. Hornets are carnivorous predators, but they only go for big meat when they feel strong.*

Ha
Old 07-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
What happend was the colony had finally become strong enough to take you on.
Or so they thought!* HaHa
Old 07-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Boy, you guys are good! I wouldn't want to be a wasp within a mile of your place! *

Any advice re: a little ant colony that has adopted my front yard? I keep spraying them with store bought chemicals, but they keep coming back. They have progressed to the outside of my house as of late and that makes me nervous. They don't eat concrete and/or siding for breakfast, do they *
Old 07-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
Boy, you guys are good! I wouldn't want to be a wasp within a mile of your place! *

Any advice re: a little ant colony that has adopted my front yard? I keep spraying them with store bought chemicals, but they keep coming back. They have progressed to the outside of my house as of late and that makes me nervous. They don't eat concrete and/or siding for breakfast, do they *
No they don't eat concrete but they can get in your house looking for food, water or a new home. I have a patio with large rock slabs that are surrounded by sand. Ant love this and the only thing I have found is ant bait. I get a bunch of them and put one or two near an active nest and then move it in a few days to a new site. It keeps the colonies down to a very few and is more focused than spraying all the time. It seems more effective (an efficient too) since they go to the bait station, take some bait, drag it to the colony and then feed it to th the rest of the colony. The end result is Jim Jones event.

Carpenter ants are a different story since they eat wood (aka houses). Spraying the sides and especially near ground level once every few weeks will keep them away and will also keep other bugs away from your house too. We have a major spider problem here. The basement is ground zero for these creatures. The best thing I have found for them are glue traps from HD. They smell like peanut butter and that attracts them. They are a bit pricey but for me they are a requirement with young kids in the basement playing down there. They work great and are nontoxic. They do stick like crazy so don't put them where a pet or a kid can get to them or they will be stuck for good.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! Only the highest quality ant bait for my ants from now on!*
Old 07-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Thanks! Only the highest quality ant bait for my ants from now on!*
Sometimes you just gotta spluge on something.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thanks! Only the highest quality ant bait for my ants from now on!
We started using the Terro Ant Bait stuff from Lowes. It seems to work pretty well and it's just borax so it relatively safe. The ants need a lot of the stuff to die though and it does get a little pricey. I keep telling myself that I'll make my own borax based ant bait but haven't gotten around to it!