Join Early Retirement Today

Yep - It's Like a Whole Other Country
Old 05-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yep - It's Like a Whole Other Country

Although the average speed of those of us travelling these roads today is already 79 mph, this doesn't seem like a particularly good time to decide to do this...

Texas rural highways get boost to 80 mph

AUSTIN(AP) – Yeehaw! Texans who brag they do things bigger and better are about to go faster too.

State transportation officials on Thursday boosted speed limits on two stretches of rural highway from 75 mph to 80, leaving wandering armadillos and feral hogs a split-second less time to avoid becoming roadkill.

It will be the highest posted speed limit in the country. New speed signs should be up in the next few days.

The 80 mph limit will be confined to 10 mostly rural counties in West Texas: a 432-mile stretch of Interstate 10 between El Paso and Kerrville, and 89 miles of Interstate 20 between Monahans and the I-10 interchange at the cusp of the Jeff Davis Mountains.

Zoom, zoom, zoom...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Yep - It's Like a Whole Other Country
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you have ever travelled those roads, you would know why. Pure numbness and the likelihood of falling asleep unless you can pretend to be Tony Stewart.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

REW, Last week we traveled to Galveston. Took I-45 right thru downtown Houston around 3pm at 75-82 MPH. They do put the pedal to the metal down there. You actually have to drive a tad slower out of town because the State Highway Patrol, in their little black trucks no less, are trolling for tickets.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought wyoming or montana or somewhere up there had a "reasonable and prudent" non-limit during dry daylight hours. Did they revoke that?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I thought wyoming or montana or somewhere up there had a "reasonable and prudent" non-limit during dry daylight hours.* Did they revoke that?
It was Montana about 10 years ago.* I remember "testing" my new Maxima in Montana in 1997.* Traveling at 130mph feels "interesting".* Before anyone gets too concerned, the highway was empty, clear and dry day.* Forward visibility is optimal, and I was by myself.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I drove some of those road a long time ago...

On one, I was doing about 130 for 10 to 15 minutes and did not see anybody else... straigt line..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote