Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mom was born in 1914 on a farm in North Dakota. Her father died when she was about 4 of complications from a mastoid infection. She had two stepfathers as she grew up, both of whom also died young. When she turned 16 she moved to Chicago to work as a live-in nanny because there wasn't enough food in the house for her to stay there.

I believe there was an attempt to take advantage of her sexually while she was a working girl -- she hinted at that a time or two but didn't go to detail. Fortunately for her, she was a mesomorph who had experience handling a team of draft horses. A wisp of a girl, she was not.

As she became an adult, she got a job at the old Stewart-Warner factory, built a nest egg and bought her own house. At that time is was rare for a single woman to own real estate. I believe she had to hire a man to act as a co-signer in the transaction as a woman couldn't buy property on her own back then.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At least I didn't need to be concerned about this kind of foolishness when I was 19 or 20 years old:

Quote:
"We just won a national monetary policy competition!"
"What was your policy?"
"It was a three pronged approach recommending data dependent forward guidance, continuing with accommodation because the balance of risk is weighted more heavily toward tightening too soon, and a modification to the longer run goal strategy to explicitly state the symmetric nature of the inflation target. Anyway…. we beat Princeton!"
Humans of New York
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Well said. As a woman, I can't say I recall this "idyllic" time in the past which trumped the current day in any way.
+1

Women 10 years my senior weren't "allowed" to be engineers. They had to settle for math major and be an engineer's assistant. Thank God that had changed when it was my turn and I only had to put up with incredulous questions about why I would want to.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggz View Post
I keep these handy for when I hear people complain about young people:

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
Socrates 469 – 533 B.C.E

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them".
Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
Plato, 4th Century BC

"When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint".
Hesiod, 8th century BC

"We live in a decaying age. Young people no longer respect their parents. They are rude and impatient. They frequently inhabit taverns and have no self control."
Inscription, 6000 year-old Egyptian tomb
Great list, thanks!

It's somehow reassuring to know that curmudgeonly griping goes all the way back to 6000 BC - although that last one is maybe a little suspect since the actual tomb is not listed.