Join Early Retirement Today

Yet another reason not to move to Texas
Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yet another reason not to move to Texas

As part of a continuing public service to protect all of you foreigners non-Texans, here is yet another reason to reconsider coming to Texas once you abandon Kal-ee-forn-ee-ah or wherever.
Quote:
A bobcat was captured in downtown Houston on Tuesday, KPRC Local 2 reported. The bobcat was found in a parking garage in the 500 block of Rusk Street about noon.
I have it from reliable sources that he was waiting on a particularly fat and slow-moving banker to return to his Maybach for lunch.

Seriously, protect yourself and move elsewhere. Bobcat attacks downtown are happening nearly every day now. It's almost as bad as when the 'gators started hiding in the sandboxes at the elementary schools.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
As part of a continuing public service to protect all of you foreigners non-Texans, here is yet another reason to reconsider coming to Texas once you abandon Kal-ee-forn-ee-ah or wherever. I have it from reliable sources that he was waiting on a particularly fat and slow-moving banker to return to his Maybach for lunch.

Seriously, protect yourself and move elsewhere. Bobcat attacks downtown are happening nearly every day now. It's almost as bad as when the 'gators started hiding in the sandboxes at the elementary schools.
Are you sure this wasn't one of those "Cougars have competition" panic attacks by the media.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Bobcat captured in downtown garage | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

No bobcats have attacked bike riders on the paths along the bayous ... yet.

Many local schools have Bobcats as the team/mascot name.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #4

Quote:
I have it from reliable sources that he was waiting on a particularly fat and slow-moving banker to return to his Maybach for lunch.
That slow-moving banker probably wasn't carrying a sidearm either. Any smart Texan knows you should have one of those - Just-n-case !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We got 'em too !
Bobcat - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

But I'll bet the TX brand of bobcat is bigger, right?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to break it to you, but So Cal has them too. We also have bears, mountain lions, deer, raccoons and a few bald eagles living here above the local lake.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #7

Oh and we have a few locals who like to parade their pet wolves up and down the street
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #8

Aren't you a little embarrassed about just having an itty, bitty bobcat in a big, manly state like Texas

We had a real cat, can you say mountain lion, in white-wine sipping, Volvo-driving, tree-hugging suburban Palo Alto a couple years ago
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Hey we have regular run-ins with our local bobcats! (they usually run on by). The coyotes howl at night. And then there are all the smelly javelinas waiting around.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
keep your trigger hand available at all times
Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #10

keep your trigger hand available at all times

If you see somethin' like this you can git' one maybe two shots off before it gits you. So keep your trigger hand available at all times when in Texas.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #11

Heh...our devious plan is working.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Heck, even north Jersey is apparently lousy with bears. In the south parts of the state the main varmint action is bennies.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Coyote in Quizno's downtown Chicago
Old 03-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #13

Coyote in Quizno's downtown Chicago

Heck, Chicago can beat Texas on this one. A coyote got into a Quizno's in downtown innercity Chicago! How this happened I'll never know with all the traffic and people down there, but it did:

Coyote Hits Downtown Chicago Quizno's - ABC News
Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Think that Bobcat went to the 'lympics:
Whistler Olympic bobcat puts on a public show
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

... and don't forget in Texas it is almost Fahr' Aint season...
Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Aren't you a little embarrassed about just having an itty, bitty bobcat in a big, manly state like Texas
No, it was huge! Honest, with big fangs and claws and such!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
After all the "cougar" threads, it took me a few posts to realize this wasn't yet another euphemism...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Must have been the grand daddy of the one that attacked Jimmy Carter. Fortunately, our crack secret service lads eventually got to the offender and debriefed it.

Jimmy Carter rabbit incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedi
Old 03-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #19

Quote:
As part of a continuing public service to protect all of you foreigners non-Texans,
... Or keep Texas unsullied by hordes of ferriners...

Seriously folks, West Virginia is being overrun by biting venomous snakes that attack suddenly and without provocation.

We wouldn't want too many people finding out about what it's like to not have to plan one's daily life around traffic.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We had a gator in Lakeland, FL. This from another forum:
Quote:
I lived in Lakeland Fl for 4-6 months in 1973. Aside from the "lovebugs", and all kinds of little insects that bite like crazy, it was a great place. My favorite memory was watching the giant one-eyed alligator, Blinky, stroll through the middle of town like he owned the place.....for all I know he did. If you have pictures of Blinky, I sure would like to see him again. I was too young, broke and stupid at the time to take pictures of the friendly beast. But it was sure fun to watch Blinky walk the streets and send ladies and little kids running and screaming as if the old gator was a real danger. If you have photos that you can scan and email to me I would be grateful. Send then to:xxxx
I remember a photo in the paper of Blinky going walkabout downtown one Sunday morning.

Maybe he was looking for bobcats?