Yikes...........:)

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Yahoo!

Mod edit to provide snippet so readers have some idea what the link is about
Drivers of BMWs frequently come in for anecdotal criticism for habits on the road that are perceived as aggressive.

Now, a couple of studies, one in the U.S. and another from the U.K., appear to provide statistical evidence that BMW drivers are, to be polite about it, complete jerks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article correlates to my experience. For instance, on a 2 lane hwy near my house, having a BMW drive on the right shoulder to pass a long line of cars during rush hour is sort of normal. Although for the last few years in my neck of the woods, the Lexus drivers have been the worst. sometimes it seems that if the Lexus drivers could run my little Honda Fit off of the road they would.

When I used to drive a 20 year old F-150, all the expensive cars gave me a lots of space then!

That's well known among police officers. Beemer drivers are also (they believe) immune from the laws of physics. At least until they wrap themselves around a tree. Then the sudden realization comes as a shock.

They also mentioned PRIUS owners in that article? How are they obnoxious drivers? Every Prius I see is going 50mph on the freeway in the center lane! :)

I read the article posted on Yahoo and don't understand the phrase "drivers of BMW's and other high status cars including the Prius hybrid...." Where does the Prius rank in high status cars?

As bad as BMW or Lexus drivers may be, they don't even come close to the obnoxiousness of motorcycle riders, who wake me up every night by demonstrating just how loud they can be as they drive right past my house. It's the epitome of arrogance and lack of consideration for others, IMHO.

That's well known among police officers. Beemer drivers are also (they believe) immune from the laws of physics. At least until they wrap themselves around a tree. Then the sudden realization comes as a shock.

Not sure about the laws of physics, but they seem immune from traffic laws, at least around here.

(Warning, pet peeve alert)

I live just off a major street, i.e. six lanes divided by a median. Since I'm also near a school, the speed limit is 35mph. Okay, I'll play that game. But since hardly anyone drives that speed, the occasional speed trap can nab quite a few caught unaware. But I rarely see a Lexus or Beemer pulled over, even though, anecdotally, most are exceeding the limit, often by 10-15mph. Of course, this is Stepfordville...

As bad as BMW or Lexus drivers may be, they don't even come close to the obnoxiousness of motorcycle riders, who wake me up every night by demonstrating just how loud they can be as they drive right past my house. It's the epitome of arrogance and lack of consideration for others, IMHO.

Very-high speed, daredevilish riding occurs around here pretty often, mostly young bucks on crotch rockets. The v-twins with loud mufflers/straight pipes are also annoying, but not as dangerous (stupid)...

I read the article posted on Yahoo and don't understand the phrase "drivers of BMW's and other high status cars including the Prius hybrid...." Where does the Prius rank in high status cars?

In many areas Prius owners fall into the preachy "greener than thou" category. So maybe a different kind of status.

I was in Menlo Park near San Francisco for some training and we had a large full size rental car because there were 5 of us in the class plus luggage. During the week, I went to buy some things for the mini fridge at the hotel and was accosted by some lady. I parked as she was coming out of this store. When she saw the boat I was driving, she started yelling that I was raping the planet and killing babies. And other things I wont repeat. I was so taken aback, the only thing I did was frown slightly. Then she stormed over to her Prius and sped away flipping the bird as she left. I have always assumed she was having a bad day because her boyfriend (or girlfriend) left her for someone that ate meat. So I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:
In many areas Prius owners fall into the preachy "greener than thou" category. So maybe a different kind of status.

I was in Menlo Park near San Francisco for some training and we had a large full size rental car because there were 5 of us in the class plus luggage. During the week, I went to buy some things for the mini fridge at the hotel and was accosted by some lady. I parked as she was coming out of this store. When she saw the boat I was driving, she started yelling that I was raping the planet and killing babies. And other things I wont repeat. I was so taken aback, the only thing I did was frown slightly. Then she stormed over to her Prius and sped away flipping the bird as she left. I have always assumed she was having a bad day because her boyfriend (or girlfriend) left her for someone that ate meat. So I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In defense of drivers of Prii, there are lots of self-important, pretentious a-holes. Doesn't necessarily require a Prius... :LOL:

In defense of drivers of Prii, there are lots of self-important, pretentious a-holes. Doesn't necessarily require a Prius... :LOL:

Agreed. I am actually someone that would buy a Prius, but I can't get past the look of rage I remember on that young ladies face anytime I think about it. So I've never looked at one.

Agreed. I am actually someone that would buy a Prius, but I can't get past the look of rage I remember on that young ladies face anytime I think about it. So I've never looked at one.

50 mph in the middle lane can be a problem when the speed limit is 70. I think a lot of energy conscious (trying to be nice) drivers who go toward hypermiling can clog up the works. Sometimes they are busy watching their dash to make sure the flowers are the right color, or living, or whateover visual clue there is.

Meanwhile, not much attention is paid to traffic and it can clog up the works.

In some senses it is opposite of BMW, but at the same time similar.

Much of the crazy driving around here can be attributed to cell phone usage while driving...

Right up there with the thumping-bass 500 watt sound system crowd. "Why do you think we all want to hear your 'music'?" It's incredibly obnoxious. I'm thinking of buying a pellet gun. Rant off.

Last edited:
I've always found mustang drivers to be the worst. One passed me on the center median, and lost control when he merged back into traffic, hit a motorhome and sent it off the road.

That was the worst, but most other mustangs I've seen are driven badly, I think being a low priced sporty car, it attracts a young buyer.

Right up there with the thumping-bass 500 watt sound system crowd. I'm thinking of buying a pellet gun.

Interesting idea, probably not a great plan, but as fantasy, its really, really funny.

MRG

I agree. They probably don't even think about it.

From my bedroom in the back of my house, I can't hear any motorcycles at all (even the extra-noisy chopper that my 60-year-old neighbor rides occasionally in ridiculous/failed attempts to re-capture his youth). I would assume that their bedrooms are also well insulated from sound, and it never occurred to them that they are bothering anybody. Pretty inconsiderate but unfortunately pretty normal, as well.

Right up there with the thumping-bass 500 watt sound system crowd. I'm thinking of buying a pellet gun.

We used to have a guy in high school (early 80's) that arrived at school early in the morning and played his stereo so loud, I expected the people in houses a quarter mile away to call the cops. If you walked near his car while he was doing this, I swear my vision actually blurred due to the vibration on the beat. The car had illegally tinted windows, soI can only imagine what was going on inside the car. You could make out the songs from a couple hundred yards away, but right next to the car it was just an overpowering feeling in your gut more than anything.

I wonder how a Prius can be driven aggressively. I think my lawn mower could take one off the line...........:LOL:

I wonder how a Prius can be driven aggressively. I think my lawn mower could take one off the line...........:LOL:

is this your mower?

164266d1256845982-expensive-lawn-mower-mower.jpg

In fairness, not all of them do that. There are four of various sizes on my court alone and I'm rarely even aware of it when one comes in or leaves. I also take care to keep the noise down (low rpm's, etc.). Coming home there's a slight downhill so the bike is at idle and there just long enough to get the garage door open.

Instead, I wait until I'm in front of a different area of houses to open 'er up.:LOL:

And the bike is stock, no straight pipes or anything like that. Never saw the point in it with any bike I've owned.

In fairness, not all of them do that. There are four of various sizes on my court alone and I'm rarely even aware of it when one comes in or leaves. I also take care to keep the noise down (low rpm's, etc.). Coming home there's a slight downhill so the bike is at idle and there just long enough to get the garage door open.

Instead, I wait until I'm in front of a different area of houses to open 'er up.:LOL:

And the bike is stock, no straight pipes or anything like that. Never saw the point in it with any bike I've owned.

I'm sure there are plenty of courteous motorcycle riders as well. I suspect I just don't notice them if they are not making a lot of noise. The few that do ruin it for everyone.

I'm sure there are plenty of courteous motorcycle riders as well. I suspect I just don't notice them if they are not making a lot of noise.
There is a young father who garages his Japanese bike across an alley from my place. He must work somewhere out in the burbs, as he leaves for work early, about 5:30 or so. When I first moved here, I would wake up when he powered up, but he is always very quiet and I no longer notice his leaving.

Regarding BMWs and other upscale cars, I am walking in a city and of course entering crosswalks all the time. I find the old clunkers to be sure runners of a crosswalk, nice cars including BMWs almost always stop well back.

My car did get mangled by a BMW driver running from the cops who struck me broadside with a BMW. However, it had been reported stolen shortly before, and the driver was a drunk illegal with his 15 yo girlfriend.

To me at least it makes sense that people with something to lose by causing personal or property damage will be more careful.

Ha

I suspect the correlation to aggressive driving is tighter with vehicle horsepower rather than wealth.
There are always exceptions. As for the Prius, the most common complaint I have heard was driving too slow, certainly not aggressively.

Back
Top Bottom