Join Early Retirement Today

YOLO
Old 08-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
gone traveling

YOLO

What do you think of the you only live once crowd, YOLO's. I think they are shortsighted and misguided, the ones working at 70 to pay for the boat, second home, etc, etc. You do only live once, so don't f it up!
I

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO, YOLO is not really that much different than "Greed is Good" or "Carpe Diem. Another way of saying "Me, Me, Me" but just a different generation.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unless someone has proof to the contrary, you only do live once. That doesn't mean you need to go crazy and spend every penny you earn, can charge or borrow, but it does put one heck of a damper on the super frugal idea. Living within your means is far better than either of the extremes and it allows you to have some of the nicer things in life while you can enjoy them. We always traveled while we were still working and our kids left home and now that we are retired, it's been ramped up a notch. You really start to feel the effect of YOLO when you register for medicare - then you know for sure that you need to make the most of everything while you are physically capable of doing so.

We have friends still working in their 70s and some who will never stop. That's their life and their choice, but I don't understand it. It's not like they need the money, they just have no idea what to do if they stop. For them, YOLO means dying with your boots on, erect at your desk, staring into a computer screen .

Our plan is to live as well as we can for as long as we can and then have our last check bounce and have the collection agency have to visit the cemetery to collect .
Old 08-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneygrubber View Post
What do you think of the you only live once crowd, YOLO's. I think they are shortsighted and misguided, the ones working at 70 to pay for the boat, second home, etc, etc. You do only live once, so don't f it up!
Others are welcome to do what they want. We all have different paths in life.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You only live once, so why not LBYM, enjoy life while you're working and saving, then RE and enjoy it even more? That's my version of YOLO.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

YOLO for me is doing whatever I want when I want and enjoying my retirement. For example, I took a weekend trip recently and decided to stay 2 extra days....I had nothing pressing at home do....YOLO
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #7

Why not? Maybe some day people will find a way to front load retirement too.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Generally speaking I too typically see short-sighted, high risk decisions following the YOLO mindset. However, I must admit that I have made a few. To each their own. We are all granted choices and varying degrees of freedom in this life and I respect that. However, I personally disagree with the entire premise. While I agree that we will most certainly die once, I actually believe that we are eternal beings. That perspective personally has a singificant impact on my decisions and it is usually different and less regretful than my YOLO ones.
ICNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have no problem if people choose to live like this, provided I'm not asked to pay for it. If hedonism keeps people motivated to produce more things and keep the economy going (and the SS taxes paid), then that's probably good.

As for me, I'm lucky to have an easily obtained "this is great!" threshold. A good pizza makes me just as happy as a $100 meal. A typical suburban house makes me just as happy as a McMansion. A car that starts and runs reliably and has working AC/heat and a radio is fine, it doesn't have to be new. So, living my "once" isn't too pricey.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
YOLO
Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

YOLO

I must not understand YOLO, I thought it was only a saying....it's "way of life"?
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #11

There's a YOLO crowd? Im pretty sure its just the word of the moment, repeated by d-bags and celebrity d-bags. I dont think its a subculture.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Others are welcome to do what they want. We all have different paths in life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I have no problem if people choose to live like this, provided I'm not asked to pay for it. If hedonism keeps people motivated to produce more things and keep the economy going (and the SS taxes paid), then that's probably good.

As for me, I'm lucky to have an easily obtained "this is great!" threshold. A good pizza makes me just as happy as a $100 meal. A typical suburban house makes me just as happy as a McMansion. A car that starts and runs reliably and has working AC/heat and a radio is fine, it doesn't have to be new. So, living my "once" isn't too pricey.

Tom and Sam pretty much nailed my opinion, too.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

+1 Although spending for things like $100 meals and McMansions would more than likely make me unhappy since I don't place a value on them. For me it would be a waste of money that could be better used elsewhere.

I believe this is our one shot at our existence so I only want to live it where I am proud of my small legacy. Others should be able to do the same as long as it doesn't negatively impact anyone else.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #14
Administrator

Shouldn't it be YLOO -- you live only once? There are many other things besides living that one can do only once.

Gumby - who has multiple opportunities to be a grammar pedant
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Shouldn't it by YLOO -- you live only once? There are many other things besides living that one can do only once.

Gumby - who has multiple opportunities to be a grammar pedant
I prefer OLBO - One Lives But Once. It has that certain "Je ne sais quoi" (especially for pedants)

Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We live, we die, and in between we {YOLO|LBYM|LOL|OMY|OMG|DIY|CYA|SMH}

TTFN
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #17
gone traveling

Lol target.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
For them, YOLO means dying with your boots on, erect at your desk, staring into a computer screen .
You have interesting (if somewhat kinky) friends.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
erect at your desk,
Isnt this a firable offense at most companies?

Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You have interesting (if somewhat kinky) friends.
For some of them, it would have been difficult to tell if they were dead or alive at their desks. As is said, you would have had to put a mirror under their noses to tell the difference. They had actually retired in place several years before their demise and one wasn't discovered until the next morning . I don't think any were kinky (as in all the Wal Martian photos we see on the net), just unable to separate their work from their home life. And all had a fear of being at home with their wives (yes, all were men) 24/7.

Luckily, my wife retired 4 years before I did, so she had established all sorts of patterns and lunch friends that keep her busy most days. We value our personal space.

When I told her about the term "YOLO," she said that was us at this point in life. In earlier days, when we were raising kids, I'd say we were LAYM - Living At Your Means. Didn't have much, if any, money left for extravagant things after all the basics, to include retirement savings were paid for. LBYM would have meant sacrifices we were unwilling to make and things worked out just fine anyway .