Join Early Retirement Today

You Have Too Much Sh*t
Old 03-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

You Have Too Much Sh*t

Just tripped across this during one of my rambles across the web -- a pithy and irreverent argument for dumping life's detritus:

www.youhavetoomuchsh*t.com

Replace the * with an i and you'll get the address. The PDF download of the booklet is free or you can get it as an ebook. Not a booklet for all of us, but for those of us with stuffed attics and garages, it's worth a visit. And at least by my yardstick, it's pretty funny.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #2

Very clever. My sister really needs to read this but I think she would be offended if I sent it to her.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Very clever. My sister really needs to read this but I think she would be offended if I sent it to her.

I've only got stuff.

N totally SFW
Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
There are plenty of anonymous E-mail sites out there....

Back when it was easy to spoof an E-mail address from the command line I sent an E-mail to a slightly misbehaving niece from God@heaven.org. It didn't work because she knew I was the only one in the family who would know how to do that.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Wow. At eighteen pages, that wasn't even a full bathroom read. The irony of this statement isn't lost on me. 😱

Old 03-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Definitely have too much sh*t but I use it to build other sh*t (or build sh*t that can be used to build sh*t more efficiently).

I think being an engineer you are doomed to accumulate sh*t. We are retiring this year and have to sell everything, yet I am still clinging to 17 CO2 lasers, 4 oscilloscopes, a spectrum analyzer, 6 multimeters, 12 power supplies, a YAG fiber laser that I really want to take with us but know I will never use on the road, microscopes, vacuum pumps, 12 Cartesian robots, over 100 brushless servo motors and controllers.

I need a lot more than this short book. I need an intervention.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

I think being an engineer you are doomed to accumulate sh*t.
Not only that, but if it weren't for engineers, we would be still living in the forest eating berries.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not only that, but if it weren't for engineers, we would be still living in the forest eating berries.
Which is exactly what I want to be doing next year. (with the RV a few hundred yards away of course)
Old 03-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #9

Funny book, quick read and he gets the point across. It can be read in just a few minutes and then there is more time to work on getting rid of the sh*t!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

If only there were a 12 step program...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post

i would sign up in a heartbeat. Ive got way too much crap.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
i would sign up in a heartbeat. Ive got way too much crap.
Enough ta make Mike Rowe suck wind!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post

There is, just Google it.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Definitely have too much sh*t but I use it to build other sh*t (or build sh*t that can be used to build sh*t more efficiently).

I think being an engineer you are doomed to accumulate sh*t. We are retiring this year and have to sell everything, yet I am still clinging to 17 CO2 lasers, 4 oscilloscopes, a spectrum analyzer, 6 multimeters, 12 power supplies, a YAG fiber laser that I really want to take with us but know I will never use on the road, microscopes, vacuum pumps, 12 Cartesian robots, over 100 brushless servo motors and controllers.

When do you need to clear out? I'm building a garage/workshop. I'd let you ship it some of it here and come visit it on occasion...
Old 03-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:

I always knew we had a lot of sh!t but didn't truly realize just how deep it had gotten until we retired and got rid of everything. We had a two day yard sale and sold tons but still had plenty left afterwards. We donated the rest to a local church for their yard sale. They hauled off six stuffed Ford Expedition loads!
Old 03-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I like taking stuff to the charity thrift shops I don't need and picking up stuff we do need. It is a cheap way to do retail therapy and not spend much money. Last weekend I got 3 bags of stuff on my shopping list for $3.75 from estate sales and a benefit rummage sale. And a few girlie things I didn't need but wanted like vintage hankies and perfume bottles.

I just try to make sure I donate more than I buy so there is a net outflow. One of our kids has been selling the bigger stuff for me on Craigslist on a commission. It is pretty wild how much money we've made so far. There seems to be a market for everything if we drop the price low enough.

Seeing all the estate sales with piles of junk and collections has made DH and I realize we don't want to end up like that so we do at least one or two decluttering projects each week.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #17

I have too much sh#t, but I need most of it. I'm going to start getting rid of stuff that I have multiples of, and stuff that I haven't used in years. Wood chipper and front end loader attachment for my ATV will be the first to go.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #18

I don't have that problem any longer. After downsizing from 3,000 overstuffed sq ft to 1400 sq ft I can honestly say that I now have all the right sh*t and little to no excess. Although my kitchen is 1/3rd the size of my prior kitchen I actually have cabinets that only have one or two things on a shelf. I've also tried to adopt a "one in, one out" methodology which seems to be working. Hallelujah !

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote