You just gotta read this one!

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/19/D8KS23UO1.html

I mean come on, 5+ years after 9/11 and Bin laden and Al zwahiri are still alive and free!

the republicans have some rocks loose in their heads if they think the american public is gonna believe this terror fear mongering!

Bottom line Bush has a failed policy in Iraq and he better find bin laden because at this point its his mistakes that have kept him free not Clintons anymore.

Patrick said:
Uhhh, not sure what this has to do with Early Retirement. :confused:

We are all watching BILLIONS of our tax dollars go into Iraq.

We are retired and wonder how it will affect our lifestyles.

Bottom Line, we are able to change the face of our government. Lets do it!

I followed the link and thought I was reading a parody at first.

This week, Doonesbury has been featuring an interview with "Fear", who is working for the GOP's campaigns.

Baxter said:
I followed the link and thought I was reading a parody at first.

This week, Doonesbury has been featuring an interview with "Fear", who is working for the GOP's campaigns.

The party that has been in power too long gets fat and sassy. this republican bunch is well off the hook. Bottom line find bin laden or your party is a failure.

Patrick said:

Come on, man. Let me explain to you what this has to do with early retirement.

Like, it all started with Bin Laden blowing things up, right? Ok, then we tried to kill him, right? But he's still alive now, right? You following me so far? Bin Laden is probably eating stuff like rice and goats. Ok, here's the good part. If Bin Laden is eating that rice and goat it means that somebody else isn't eating that rice and goat. Sooooooooo, that person could be going hungry now. Can a person that is going hungry retire early? I mean come on, can he? No!!!

Patrick said:

This is also a social club. New Guy’s post has as much to do with early retirement as at least 50% of the other items posted here.

Anyway, it is not at all farfetched to imagine that an enormously expensive and ineffective war will affect the economy, and thus our success at retirement.

Crawl out of the box and look around. :)

Ha

Patrick said:

Hint - read the name and mission of the forum:
"Other stuff: anything goes, outside of rude, obscene, or other stuff"

It's not over 'til Hitler gets mentioned ...

newguy888 said:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/19/D8KS23UO1.html

I mean come on, 5+ years after 9/11 and Bin laden and Al zwahiri are still alive and free!

I don't know how "free" they are. I guess they are free to hang out in the caves of Afghanistan in the same way that Eric Robert Rudolf was free to live in the mountains of North Carolina for many years. In the past 5+ years, Bin Laden has been basically ineffective in producing on his threat of even greater destruction to the US than on 9/11. Let's hope he continues to be as effective as he has been since the Taliban got the boot.

HaHa said:
Anyway, it is not at all farfetched to imagine that an enormously expensive and ineffective war will affect the economy, and thus our success at retirement.

Ha,

In 1969, I wrote a paper on the inflationary effects on the US economy of the war in Viet Nam to satisfy the requirements for my independent study in economics. I stumbled across a copy on the bookshelf downstairs a few months ago. Interesting similarities and dissimilarities to today. I'd send you a copy but........hee, hee.......no electronic copy! Done in 1969, it's typed on erasable bond paper! :LOL:

newguy888 said:
Bottom line Bush has a failed policy in Iraq and he better find bin laden
Rove (or was it Cheney?) promised Republican candidates an "October surprise," and I don't think he meant Mark Foley. Almost 2 weeks remian to present Bin Laden's (or somebody else's-) corpse, or tout a Nixonian "secret plan to end the war," or offer something special to a wavering part of their base.

astromeria said:
or tout a Nixonian "secret plan to end the war," or offer something special to a wavering part of their base.

Sadly, I think we're headed towards a Johnson ending......... If it ever ends.

Just my 2 cents. I still believe the Christian Right could save the GOP's
a**, and that their (GOP) base is more unified than the dems. I see
the dems being more of a whole lot of smaller special interest groups.
Anyway, I doubt if the Republicans can offset the Iraq disaster in voter's
minds at this point. I believe it was Monroe who said "beware of foreign
entanglements". May have been part of the Monroe Doctrine

JG

newguy888 said:
The party that has been in power too long gets fat and sassy. this republican bunch is well off the hook. Bottom line find bin laden or your party is a failure.

Both parties are failures. Bin Laden has nothing to do with it.

JG

newguy888 said:
Bottom Line, we are able to change the face of our government. Lets do it!

You may change the "face" but the rest of it will still be ugly.

JG

The "Christian Right" is less than well-pleased with the GOP at this point in time, for reasons I think we may be aware of. The Democrats' "whole lot of smaller special-interest groups" is, in reality, more than half the country.. significantly more, if one takes into account the terror/Iraq fear card that forced some into the Bush camp. "Special interests" in most cases seems to be shorthand for anyone who isn't a WASP male (i.e., women, blacks, hispanics, gays).

----
"The people of [ ] have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiques are belated, insincere, incomplete. Things have been far worse than we have been told, our administration more bloody and inefficient than the public knows. It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure. We are to-day not far from a disaster."

The missing word is "England", and the writer is T.E. Lawrence in 1920.

http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/1918p/mesopo.html

"We have not reached the limit of our military commitments. Four weeks ago the staff in Mesopotamia drew up a memorandum asking for four more divisions. I believe it was forwarded to the War Office, which has now sent three brigades from India. If the North-West Frontier cannot be further denuded, where is the balance to come from? Meanwhile, our unfortunate troops, Indian and British, under hard conditions of climate and supply, are policing an immense area, paying dearly every day in lives for the wilfully wrong policy of the civil administration in Baghdad. General Dyer was relieved of his command in India for a much smaller error, but the responsibility in this case is not on the Army, which has acted only at the request of the civil authorities. The War Office has made every effort to reduce our forces, but the decisions of the Cabinet have been against them.

"The Government in Baghdad have been hanging Arabs in that town for political offences, which they call rebellion. The Arabs are not at war with us. Are these illegal executions to provoke the Arabs to reprisals on the three hundred British prisoners they hold? And, if so, is it that their punishment may be more severe, or is it to persuade our other troops to fight to the last?

"We say we are in Mesopotamia to develop it for the benefit of the world. all experts say that the labour supply is the ruling factor in its development. How far will the killing of ten thousand villagers and townspeople this summer hinder the production of wheat, cotton, and oil? How long will we permit millions of pounds, thousands of Imperial troops, and tens of thousands of Arabs to be sacrificed on behalf of colonial administration which can benefit nobody but its administrators?"

Now it is not good for the Christian's health
to hustle the area in brown
for the Christian riles and the Aryan smiles
and it weareth the Christian down

And the end of the fight
is a tombstone white
with the name of the late deceased –
and the epitaph drear:
"A fool lies here
who tried to hustle the East!"

~ Rudyard Kipling

Back