Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
When in a fast food restaurant, I have been known to take more napkins than I need and instead of throwing the extras away, just taking them with me.
We do that too. Have a giant wad of them in the car for eating on the road, picnics or cleaning the car.

Also, I'm surprised that Chipotle is still in business because I admit to a weakness for their "plastic" cutlery. Well made and strong and we keep a few full sets in the car.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

When I travelled for w*rk I always took the extra roll of TP in the room....and I too grab handfulls of napkins and save them....

I save even small portions of leftovers for lunch the next day. Once I realized that frozen dinners have so little quantity in them for the amount you pay, I stopped tossing perfectly good small amounts of leftovers.

I cut up old kitchen towels into 5" squares and use one under my multiple cups of coffee in the morning, in place of paper napkins to catch drips. When I return to the kitchen for more coffee, I rinse it out and reuse it, then they go in with the rest of the wash....

I live alone, and in the winter I hang all clothes up to dry on the doorframes....releases moisture into the air as well..they dry super fast so you can imagine how dry the air is....I also dry all socks on my one cast-iron radiator.

I make orange juice from concentrate....after I discovered a LOT of the name brand juice is just that, but they charge three times as much!!! I like a half glass first thing to get that sugar jolt......

I have two cats...use the foil lined bags from thier dry food for collecting their waste. Don't leak or release smells. ALso found that Aldi's clumping litter is a fraction of what the other brands/stores charge and works as well.

I try things at Aldi before I make a judgement. In the years I've shopped there, I did not like their jarred red cabbage or liquid dish soap, otherwise I save a small fortune shopping there.

DOuble bag my groceries with store plastic bags, then use them for garbage each day. End of day that small bag gets tied off and placed in one large g-bag for later collection. Only need one large plastic bag a week!!!

The usual.. hang clothes on the line to dry, wash my own car (except in freezing winter-then run it thru the wash once a month....it pays to keep up with keeping it clean..

Yes I am cheap but I don't care!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Thanks for the tips.

I leave my shaving cartridge in olive oil. It is the corrosion that attacks the cutting surface. It lasts forever.
My bathroom handsoap in always from hotels, sometimes 2 stuck together.

I keep hotel shampoo for overnight trips where there might not be adequate shampoo. Sometimes those plastic packets like ketchup that are impossible to open with wet hands. I will refill the better bottles from my giant Costco shampoo bottle. (Don't travel to hotels much anymore.)

Use paper towels in place of paper napkins, folded.

Always buy a liquor brand when they offer extra one-shot bottles. Keep them for traveling or company.

Use duct tape inside dress shoes that have developed small holes. (Does not work in Vancouver but fine in dry places.)

Save plastic shopping bags for garbage can liners. Not many any more because of recycled cloth bags.

Save newspapers (few now) for use with Windex or other mix to clean glass.

Stuff steel wool into rusted out burner in BBQ to get more life from it.

Use WD40 to clean various stubborn things.

Save spare screws, bolts, nuts and washers from products that supply spares.

Use small nails to secure picture hangers that have gotten loose.

(Habits developed over 40 years ago.)
Old 03-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

You *might* be a cheapskate if ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I do that. Can't stand to leave anything in any container, if it's feasible to extract it. Then, naturally, I look for ways to re-use the container.

Yep. If it's shampoo, salad dressing or detergent, throw in some water, shake, and pour out the last of it and use it.

As for containers-DH and I have a lovely matched set of re-purposed Costco mixed nut jars with lids; they're great as critter-proof canisters.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Or use a big handlful of shaving cream like the commercials show?
I use bar soap. Haven't used shaving cream in years.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

You guys are still shaving? Mountain man look is free! Unless you're spending money on shampoo for your beard...
Old 03-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I don't squeeze the ketchup packs into the bottle... that's because I'm lazy AND a cheapskate. We have a cup in our fridge that has ketchup/mustard/soy sauce/wasabi mustard/etc.... It doesn't get tossed, it gets stashed for use later...
The first time I read this I pictured the cup with five things mixed together - sort of a brown color and ready to spread... <cough>
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #48

You might be a cheapskate if you wear the same underwear three days in a row and then turn it inside out and wear it three more days.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
before washing it.
Please to be explaining this strange word 'washing'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Please to be explaining this strange word 'washing'.
Fixed it for ya !
Old 03-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
When in a fast food restaurant, I have been known to take more napkins than I need and instead of throwing the extras away, just taking them with me.
I know someone who always grabs a fist full of fast food napkins, as in 10 to 20, eats his meal, uses one napkin, then tosses the remaining 9 to 19. He's also declared bankruptcy and been evicted from his home.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might be a cheapskate if you still bend down to pick up a penny from the ground. Guilty.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
You might be a cheapskate if you still bend down to pick up a penny from the ground. Guilty.
Me, too. That is partially how I got the $47 worth that I recently cashed in.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

See a penny, pick it up; all the day you'll have good luck. Then I heard that it only worked if the penny was heads up and that you can turn tails up pennies so the next passerby has a chance at good luck. In practice, on our walks I bend down and pick them all up and flip them into the air. Also pick up nails and screws in the road to save for the next trash can. I figure doing a bit of bending while walking is a good - thus lucky -thing.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
See a penny, pick it up; all the day you'll have good luck. Then I heard that it only worked if the penny was heads up and that you can turn tails up pennies so the next passerby has a chance at good luck. In practice, on our walks I bend down and pick them all up and flip them into the air. Also pick up nails and screws in the road to save for the next trash can. I figure doing a bit of bending while walking is a good - thus lucky -thing.
Be careful not to step on cracks though.....

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #56

When I am getting near the end if a ketchup or salad dressing bottle, I will pour canola oil in in and shake it to get more out. But I can never get it all out.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #57

I used to make my own home made shampoo with water and baking soda. With the small amount of hair that I have left, it doesn't matter much. But I now use genetic baby shampoo which is pretty inexpensive.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I notice you didn't admit to actually doing this yourself

This strikes me as more early-dementia, than truly cheap...cheapskates aren't necessarily dirty...Actually I wonder if this could be where the legendary "old man/old lady smell" comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
You might be a cheapskate if you wear the same underwear three days in a row and then turn it inside out and wear it three more days.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

""Actually I wonder if this could be where the legendary "old man/old lady smell" comes from.""

EEEwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Well, quite honestly, I have never noticed any "different" smells from old people whom I know well enough to get close to...so I figure it must be linked to hygiene issues.

But this is rawther OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
""Actually I wonder if this could be where the legendary "old man/old lady smell" comes from.""

EEEwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote