Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

85 of 100. Listed a couple of places I didn't know existed.

I've been walking the dog around here for 4 years now. Great place to live, bus line is 2 blocks away and the city funds a freebie bus around the business district.

-- Rita
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
85 of 100. Listed a couple of places I didn't know existed.

I've been walking the dog around here for 4 years now. Great place to live, bus line is 2 blocks away and the city funds a freebie bus around the business district.

-- Rita
OK Mystery Woman, where is this?

Ha
Old 05-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
OK Mystery Woman, where is this?

Ha
About 16 miles east of you -- in downtown Issaquah.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
About 16 miles east of you -- in downtown Issaquah.

haha-thanks. Downtown Issaquah is very attractive. Good fast express bus service right into Downtown Bellevue or Seattle too.

Ha
Old 05-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thanks for posting this, I had not seen it. My next move is going to be a high score location. My current location scores a 0, beat that!!!
You musta been my neighbor when we were in CT. We were about 5 miles from nowhere. I ran the address and it came up 0 also. We were 30 minutes @ 60mph from the nearest mall.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #26

Not sure what this is counting to make the scores. I score a 55 where I live now, but if I try an address 6 blocks away from all the parks and great walking trails and closer to a small commercial district my score rises to 90. In an urban environment 6 block isn't all that far to walk but it can make a world of difference in street noise and crime. I'm much happier where I am than I would be in the higher scoring address nearby. YMMV.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #27
Administrator

As Khan pointed out earlier, it is not the most refined product, in that it appears solely to measure the straight line distance to various amenities (regardless of intervening highways and such) and then uses an algorithm to assign a score. If I were looking for a new spot, I would use this as just one more data point, to be followed up by close investigation on the ground.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My hubby has our next housing location all picked out. Sidewalks and trails for 5 miles in any direction. Nice selection of stores and businesses all accessible (so long as no blizzard). He wont consider any other location unless I can show him the walkability. Have seen two sets of parents become increasingly isolated in old age and he wants to plan ahead.
sweetana3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Scored a zero. Closest amenities are a state park at 1.6 miles, a bar at 2.3 miles, and a Mcdonalds at 3.1 miles. Not exactly walk friendly.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

55 out of 100. Not surprising since we walk to one of the parks, or the elementary school, library, community center or shops at least 1-2x per week. Excepting going to work and medical appointments, we could get by w/o a car just fine. And at least 2 public transit routes run w/in 10 minutes walking distance from the house if one were inclined to ride the bus.

Best of all is that we live on a lake surrounded by nature.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I got 68. But the site missed a Safeway 10 blocks away (although it showed the Starbucks inside the Safeway!). I don't know how they figure the score, since there are a gazillion stores within walking distance--hardware stores, grocery stores, drug stores, medical clinics, schools, library, music store, pet store, appliance store, gym, parks, movie theater, coffee shops, restaurants, public swimming pool, etc....
Maybe they don't expect you to walk more than 8 blocks or something.
I was disappointed, since I anticipated getting a score of 90...
rocketdog
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdog View Post
I was disappointed, since I anticipated getting a score of 90...
rocketdog
It's OK Rocketdog, we won't put this on your permanent record.

Ha
Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #33

Ours was a 26. However, the first grocery store they listed is closed. Also, the first library they listed was Dept of Energy. I don't think that they would be interested in lending me a book! The mileage did look too close on several things.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:01 AM   #34

57 (in Long Beach, CA). Distances were pretty accurate.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Well my old neighborhood in North Arlington got a 42 and my new neighborhood on the edge of the Town of Warrenton got a 34. However, both places are pretty convenient to everything. I don't walk to get groceries the 1.2 mile, not that I can't but the ice cream would melt on the way home. I think they all want you to live on top of each other. I don't have enough patience for that anymore.
blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

score 45 .....even on the fringes of a small Texas town. It didn't include 2 great fishing holes within walking distance.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

58 here. Yes, we have a grocery store within a mile, but it sucks. We usually wind up driving 30 miles every couple of weeks to stock up at a decent one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

My score is 6 out 100. But that's not a big surprise; I live in the country. I guess having a lake in your backyard has its negatives. I wouldn't trade for a score of 100 if I lived within twenty steps of my every commercial need and had no need for a car.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #39

Mine was a 42 which surprised me since we do have a new grocery store about .25 miles away. Other stores are also being slowly built. The problem with my area are accessible sidewalks. Before the store opened, I had a vision of walking on a service road and thru parking lots to the store. Well, now that the store has opened, my "route" is more like a race track. I'm still close even if I don't walk very often.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

89. Wonder if they know that I have to walk up a steep hill to get home from most of those places. I, too, would walk many blocks farther to get to better hangouts.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote