Join Early Retirement Today

Re: You never know
Old 07-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Brewer, you might also consider a Sportsmobile. Well made and the used will be cheaper than the Roadtrek. I like looking at www.rvtraderonline.com which Brat mentioned.

I wonder if lightly used class Cs with bigger engines might be starting to trade at a big discount? Given high gas prices. It might make sense to look at some of those.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

As far as dying early, my mother died of a heart attack at 39. She didn't bottle up her emotions. She wasn't overweight, never smoked or drank. Sometimes its in the genes or just plan happens.

Then again, I was talking with my doctor once about early death from heart attack. She told me of a young man patient who twice got really really drunk and had a heart attack. Each time he survived. Weird to do that more than once.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Brewer, you might also consider a Sportsmobile.* Well made and the used will be cheaper than the Roadtrek.* I like looking at www.rvtraderonline.com which Brat mentioned.

I wonder if lightly used class Cs with bigger engines might be starting to trade at a big discount?* Given high gas prices.* It might make sense to look at some of those.
That is weird. Several of the class B I saw online was in the 35k-45k range(2003). Just saw several class C for in the 25k-35k(also 2003). I like the class B like Brewer for the mobility factor but looks like better deals on the bigger C version. Probably depends on your area. Here is a class C example.
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/caddet...1/84943201.htm
Old 07-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

No, you are right: Class C will be a better deal on a $/sq ft basis, no question. But you give up maneuverability, fuel efficiency, and it "looks like an RV", which means that many communities won't let you park on the street/in your driveway. You can also plausibly use some of the Bs as an extra "around town" vehicle, albeit not a very fuel efficient one.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
All that stress backed up inside when she had to deal with jerks was probably too much for her system to handle. It is a real stress reliever to tell an A**Hole off instead of bottling up inside.
Really? For me, that tactic would relieve stress for about 30 seconds, then triple it for the next 3 months.

That said, I do like to deal with such situations directly and quickly. Maybe not that directly though .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

It is interesting...

My mother, who is 86, was in a medical study and the doctor told her she had a heart attack when she was younger... seems they were able to tell looking at her results... she mentioned this to me and I said.. Yes, I remember when you had it... I was 5 yo and you were in the laundry room (garage) and let out a scream... we can in, saw you on the floor, threw some water on your face (isn't that what the movies show!!!)... that did not work, so we just left you there...

What a buch of great kids we were... however, we did not know and had just thought she had fainted.... at least she survived...
Old 07-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Sailor, it gets worse...we're looking at Marine Trader trawlers!
I keep my mind open. Maybe when I transition from ER to R I'll think about a trawler too.

Quote:

That Greece trip sounds awesome--what a great way to soothe the sailing bug while still at the grindstone! I bet the rail was wet the whole time with those winds--what kind of boat did you charter? What's the typical depth where you were chartering? We loved watching the Moorings charterers in the Bahamas...good thing those cats had inches of draft!
Beneteau Oceanis 331, smallest boat I was able to find which could fit us all (5 adults and two little kids).
Draft is not an issue there, or rather I had opposite problems than Florida/Bahamas - some anchorages were too deep for 50m (150ft) of chain we were carrying.
And no wetting the rail either - this was a responsible family trip, we stayed double reefed most of the time and were still making 6 or 7 knots.
Scenery is beautifull and little ports (but not marinas) are cheap, for example in Epidavros we paid 0.70 euro per night (water included, but no electricity)
But this boat would not be very practical for Bahamas or FL/GA gunkholing because of almost 6ft draft and not a lot of cross-ventilation.
Nevertheless we enjoyed the holiday immensly and made a lot of notes what we liked and didn't like for our future boat.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When we were on the boat from Capri to Positano a week or so ago (the day of the World Cup final), my husband and I looked at each other and said, "Let's sail the Greek Islands!" Later that night, fireworks and laughing and dancing in the streets...I think it was a sign
Old 08-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Back to my original post, I attended a memorial service for my deceased former coworker today. There were 150 or so there, standing room only. Saw a lot of people I hadn't seen since retiring 14 months ago.

After the service, "Joe", who I worked with for years and always considered a pretty good guy, started giving me a hard time about my hair. "Where did you get that buzz cut? Cutting your own hair to save a few bucks are you?"

He may have been kidding, but it sure rubbed me the wrong way. So I turned to the other people in the group and said, "Joe is apparently jealous that he has to get up and go to work tomorrow and I don't".

Since I left, that was the second gathering of former coworkers I've attended...and probably will be the last. Guess I've moved on.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

Since I left, that was the second gathering of former coworkers I've attended...and probably will be the last.* Guess I've moved on.

Probably best to avoid gatherings with former coworkers. I can see some asking me the standard questions 'what are you doing all day? Don't you get bored?' If I run into some old coworkers on the golf course that is one thing, but I plan to avoid those uncomfortable gatherings when possible.