You never know

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
This is one more of those “don’t wait” posts.

I just learned of the sudden death today of a former co-worker…dropped dead of a heart attack. No indication of prior heart problems.

I worked with this person for 15 years and you would be hard pressed to find a more optimistic, outgoing, fun-loving individual. You always enjoyed being around this person, even in one of those meetings-from-hell. Came up through the ranks to a VP position, and was one of those people who got there the old fashioned way… by truly earning it. Knew the business backwards and forwards. I can honestly say I never heard anyone say anything negative about this person. Employees jockeyed for position to get to work for her. Yep, a gal age 42. [Edit: Saturday was her 39th birthday]

So you’re waffling and saying to yourself, “I’m there, but maybe I should work just one more year...”?

[Edit: I learned she was in one of those meetings-from-hell when she died.]

REWahoo! said:

What a way to go!  :eek: I have been in a car accident and a near-airplane disaster while traveling on business, but this takes the cake.

It's a good thing that I only have a few years left to feather the nest... Now, wait a minute!  :confused:

[wanders off scratching his head]   :-\

39! Sheesh! But for most of us, that's an unrealistic date to ER. The lesson to me would be to enjoy the now as well. Don't spend twenty years eating day old bread and water so you can retire at 40, you might not make it!

Laurence said:
39!  Sheesh! But for most of us, that's an unrealistic date to ER.  The lesson to me would be to enjoy the now as well.  Don't spend twenty years eating day old bread and water so you can retire at 40, you might not make it!

Yup. That's the main reason why the thought of buying an RV won't leave my brain, even though I normally avoid discretionary expenses with that many zeros like the plague.

How awful. I agree with Laurence, life has to be a balance.

At mega Corp where DW works 3 folks have died in the last month.

One on the production floor, massive heart attack 53 years old

One found in the bathroom early 60's not sure what got him

One at home during vacation early 40's another massive heart attack

They keep piling on the work and stress not replacing folks that leave just dividing up the work.

Runaway. DW has 4 weeks and counting...

W

REWahoo! said:
I worked with this person for 15 years and you would be hard pressed to find a more optimistic, outgoing, fun-loving individual. I can honestly say I never heard anyone say anything negative about this person.

This person was obviously a 'people pleaser'. All that stress backed up inside when she had to deal with jerks was probably too much for her system to handle. It is a real stress reliever to tell an A**Hole off instead of bottling up inside.

Cut-Throat said:
This person was obviously a 'people pleaser'. All that stress backed up inside when she had to deal with jerks was probably too much for her system to handle. It is a real stress reliever to tell an A**Hole off instead of bottling up inside.

Yeah, she probaly would have gotten had another 30 years if she had just rampaged through the office with a shotgun one day.

Brewer--just find an older RV--they aren't too bad to maintain and ours is getting ready to take us to a great hippie music festival next weekend in Floyd, Virginia (9-10 hrs uphill from here). It cost under $10k. We save lots of money on everyday things, but we have always spent the $$ on "escape pods" like the sailboat and the RV (sold the sailboat this spring-ouch) to make the time we are spending waiting for FIRE a little sweeter.

Such a hard balance between saving and enjoying life--our 3 month sabbatical in 2003 was wonderful, but it probably cost us a few years of savings goals, with outfitting the boat for cruising and the lost wages. But, afterwards, we knew for sure that FIRE was our number one goal. Hard to know what to keep and what to cut....still not sure if we are making the right choices...
Sarah

Sarah - I am toying with the idea of a ~5 year old Class B, most likely a Roadtrek, although I haven't completely ruled out a Rialta. Looks like most of the depreciation hit is in the first 5 or 6 years, and after that the curve flattens out. A Class B is of interest because our kids are (very) small, and a B would be easier to maneuver, store, and get worked on.

We bought a used trailer as our get-away, parked it in a community with family we frequently visit. I call it a gift to my daughter-in-law, we can see them and not be underfoot.

A motor home makes sense if you are traveling with kids.

mclesters said:
sold the sailboat this spring-ouch
traitors ;)

Such a hard balance between saving and enjoying life--our 3 month sabbatical in 2003 was wonderful, but it probably cost us a few years of savings goals, with outfitting the boat for cruising and the lost wages. But, afterwards, we knew for sure that FIRE was our number one goal. Hard to know what to keep and what to cut....still not sure if we are making the right choices...
Sarah,
We just returned from only a week long sailing in Greece, had a blast (literally - meltemi was blowing for 6 out of our 7 days, over 40 knots in gusts) and I realized I'm ready for FIRE. Too bad it's probably going be another 12 years or so.
But in the mean time, we'll definitely sail and go places.

brewer12345 said:
Sarah - I am toying with the idea of a ~5 year old Class B, most likely a Roadtrek, although I haven't completely ruled out a Rialta.  Looks like most of the depreciation hit is in the first 5 or 6 years, and after that the curve flattens out.  A Class B is of interest because our kids are (very) small, and a B would be easier to maneuver, store, and get worked on.

What price range have you seen on 5 year old ones? With a shower.

I like the Class B's, especially for maneuverability. If we didn't have a 4 ac yard, we'd have gone that route ourselves. Better gas mileage, too. If you've ever wrestled with a pop-up, a MH will be a dream. Look for deals in fall/winter--usually easy to find a "barely used" one at a good price. Kids love them--niece & nephews think ours is the coolest playhouse!

sailor said:
Sailor, it gets worse...we're looking at Marine Trader trawlers!
That Greece trip sounds awesome--what a great way to soothe the sailing bug while still at the grindstone! I bet the rail was wet the whole time with those winds--what kind of boat did you charter? What's the typical depth where you were chartering? We loved watching the Moorings charterers in the Bahamas...good thing those cats had inches of draft!
Sarah

DOG51 said:
What price range have you seen on 5 year old ones? With a shower.

I have browsed for Rialta QD models and Roadtrek 190 Versatile models on the Chevy chassis. Both have a shower and will allegedly sleep 4, although I think its 2 kids and 2 adults, not 4 adults.

Rialtas are no longer made and are based on VW engine and chassis. Service is a little tough to get in some cases because a lot of VW dealers don't have lifts that can handle the weight. So they are at a relative discount. a 5 YO model would probably run 25k, maybe a little more or less depending on condition and how eager the seller is.

Roadtreks are the most popular class B and seem to have a good track record. They also have a LOT more cargo capacity than the Rialta, which is important. The "versatile" version which sleeps 4 seems to be a little harder to come by than the "popular" version. a 5 YO model in decent shape looks to be 30 to 35k.

There are also versions of both that only sleep 2 or 3 people that are usually available a little cheaper than the versions that sleep 4.

Brewer, you weren't kidding, that is a lot of zeros!
Hmmm, too rich for my blood....but boy are those nice!
Ours will sleep 4 large friendly people at the music festival next weekend.

Could you go a few years older without giving up too much "niceness"?
I mean, you aren't full-timing it, so you could put up with a bit of..what's the word..."oldness"? That's our theory anyway!
Sarah

Costco had RV's for sale in the parking lot, I think they were class "A" (the one that looks like a tour bus as opposed to a F-350 mod).

They were neat to walk around, fun features, leather, etc.

$400,000. Now that's crazy. If you stayed in the most luxurious hotels and resorts (which wold be a lot nicer than being in an RV, no matter how tricked out) at $300 a night, you could stay 1300+ nights! I mean, I guess if you are going to live in the thing, but I'd go stir crazy.

25k doesn't seem so bad, plenty pay more for their third, "fun" car.

Brewer, you might also consider a Sportsmobile. Well made and the used will be cheaper than the Roadtrek. I like looking at www.rvtraderonline.com which Brat mentioned.

I wonder if lightly used class Cs with bigger engines might be starting to trade at a big discount? Given high gas prices. It might make sense to look at some of those.

As far as dying early, my mother died of a heart attack at 39. She didn't bottle up her emotions. She wasn't overweight, never smoked or drank. Sometimes its in the genes or just plan happens.

Then again, I was talking with my doctor once about early death from heart attack. She told me of a young man patient who twice got really really drunk and had a heart attack. Each time he survived. Weird to do that more than once.

Martha said:
Brewer, you might also consider a Sportsmobile.  Well made and the used will be cheaper than the Roadtrek.  I like looking at www.rvtraderonline.com which Brat mentioned.

I wonder if lightly used class Cs with bigger engines might be starting to trade at a big discount?  Given high gas prices.  It might make sense to look at some of those.

That is weird. Several of the class B I saw online was in the 35k-45k range(2003). Just saw several class C for in the 25k-35k(also 2003). I like the class B like Brewer for the mobility factor but looks like better deals on the bigger C version. Probably depends on your area. Here is a class C example.
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/3/0/1/84943201.htm

No, you are right: Class C will be a better deal on a $/sq ft basis, no question. But you give up maneuverability, fuel efficiency, and it "looks like an RV", which means that many communities won't let you park on the street/in your driveway. You can also plausibly use some of the Bs as an extra "around town" vehicle, albeit not a very fuel efficient one.

Cut-Throat said:
All that stress backed up inside when she had to deal with jerks was probably too much for her system to handle. It is a real stress reliever to tell an A**Hole off instead of bottling up inside.

Really? For me, that tactic would relieve stress for about 30 seconds, then triple it for the next 3 months.

That said, I do like to deal with such situations directly and quickly. Maybe not that directly though ;).

Back
Top Bottom