You really can't go home again...or not?

Nords---and anyone else---

Why do you think that a 55th class reunion would attract so many people, whereas lower ones don't? Especially when you consider that these people are pushing 80 and conceivably have less energy than people 30 years younger? It seems as if the possibilities could be:

* since it was the USNA, that fosters a different/stronger bond than people from nonmilitary schools.
* younger people have less social skills/interest than previous generations.
* older people don't have as much time left to procrastinate and want to connect before it's too late.
* younger people may have busier lives and more travel opportunities to go back to reunions than older ones, who may be looking for a safe, sedate vacation.

I've even noticed in my college alumni newsletters that there is a lot of writeups of people who graduated in the past five years or so and people who graduated forty to fifty years ago, but minimal activity from people who graduated 30ish years ago.

Yes, its always kinda weird to find out that the class hottie now weighs 300 lbs and now lives at home with parents and young child after being abandoned by the slimeball who knocked her up. Meanwhile the class geek is driving a convertible and made zigabucks in an IPO.

Examples of both in my high school class!

Yes, its always kinda weird to find out that the class hottie now weighs 300 lbs and now lives at home with parents and young child after being abandoned by the slimeball who knocked her up. Meanwhile the class geek is driving a convertible and made zigabucks in an IPO.

Examples of both in my high school class!

Ha! I just got done lecturing my teen son after he told me he'd never use the words in the vocab test he was studying for...that sparked a good 15 minutes of, "do you know what all the geeks are doing now, after high school, vs the homecoming queen?" lecture...>:D

A woman friend of mine ran into a guy who more or less left her at the altar 40 years ago. They snuck around a little while, then soon he was divorced and my friend and her former fiance were married.

I guess she forgave. :)

Ha

I don't think she forgave him .She just found a great way to get even .

That's ez, Tangomonster...the elderly have TIME to write.
The class geeks make zigabucks....wasn't that the movie, "Revenge of the Nerds I, II, III?" And the tv show premise of "Married with Children?" Yup..it was.
One of the class cheerleaders in high school has no teeth now. Sorry...that always was good for a laugh even if it pathetically was true.
Or the slow guy in my class who has a computer company of sorts now and brags about hopping flights all over for his business. Hmmm...I wonder how much is true and how much fantasy? Or the MBA he says he has, but never mentions the school. Even better, he STILL does not even know how to punctuate his sentences or write well. He puts three thoughts into one runon paragraph. Where is that MBA from...other than fresh off a printing press somewhere? Yeah...I believe he's the big mogul he pretends to be. I also believe in the Easter bunny.
Or the class cheerleader punchboard/poke/tramp who turns out to be totally gay.
Yes, there are many surprises with the old class.

Nords---and anyone else---
Why do you think that a 55th class reunion would attract so many people, whereas lower ones don't? Especially when you consider that these people are pushing 80 and conceivably have less energy than people 30 years younger? It seems as if the possibilities could be:
* since it was the USNA, that fosters a different/stronger bond than people from nonmilitary schools.
* younger people have less social skills/interest than previous generations.
* older people don't have as much time left to procrastinate and want to connect before it's too late.
* younger people may have busier lives and more travel opportunities to go back to reunions than older ones, who may be looking for a safe, sedate vacation.
I've even noticed in my college alumni newsletters that there is a lot of writeups of people who graduated in the past five years or so and people who graduated forty to fifty years ago, but minimal activity from people who graduated 30ish years ago.
Well, these guys were a special group. Class of '50 graduated something like 900+ and walked straight into the Korean War followed by Vietnam, so a lot of ties were forged by that experience.

But I think it's "all of the above" and a bit more. Admittedly we were seeing the survivors who were still sentient, had some mobility, and could afford to spend the money. Almost everyone had the time because very few were still working. Most were still happily married but some of them were on trophy wife #2 or even #3.

It was Hawaii in early summer, so maybe the weather encouraged a lot of them to travel. Two of them had just been selected as "distinguished alumni" so everyone was congratulating them. One of them had just been discharged from bladder cancer surgery but by gosh he wasn't going to miss the fun. There was a sense of "we might not be able to get together again" that brought even some widows.

One theme was that the reunion was NOT in Annapolis. People were tired of the crowds, the heat/humidity, and the transportation problems. It doesn't take much to overwhelm that town's infrastructure and Hawaii was a big hit.

People that graduated from high school/college 30 years ago are still largely working their butts off and trying to figure out how they're going to save for retirement, let alone attend reunions!

I just went to my wife's 35th- I only knew two people there. I was talking to wife's ex-husband, but I'd never seen him before so I didn't know who he was. Last month I ran into a bunch of my classmates - and they want me to help organize our 35th for next year. I won't do anything until they mention it again - but at our age they might forget.

My HS does not have reunions (I went to school in Europe) but I keep in touch with some people. As others said before though, it's funny to see who wants to keep in touch with you and who doesn't. I have tried to contact the guy who was my best friend throughout middle school and high school (7 years during which we were inseparable), and he never bothered to call me back. But a girl I went to middle school with for about 2 years and that I didn't really remember befriending at the time, got in touch with me last year and we've had some good talks. I do keep in touch with several people from college even though we live on different continents. I keep in touch with them by phone and emails and every once in a while we get together when I travel to Europe or they travel to the US.

Went to 10 year high school reunion.

Didn't go to 20 or 30.

Next year is 40. Don't know if there will be one, don't know if I'll be invited, don't know if I'll go.

Or the class cheerleader punchboard/poke/tramp who turns out to be totally gay.
Well, it's sometimes said that gay men may be born, but heterosexual men make lesbians. Could be true. If so the experiences of the girl you mention would seem to qualify.

Ha

I grew up [-]in[/-] near a very small town. 14 in my graduating class (1966). 1 or 2 still around the old homestead, 1 is still a good friend in my current metropolis (about 100miles from hometown).

The rest I see at their/my parents burying. Great to be old (50+).

Also interesting: went to funereal of a lady who lived 'next door', actually 2 miles away (nearest neighbour when young). Her son was good friend while we were growing up. We talked, he (STILL) works for a Mega-Corp in Racine WI. Swapped tales of my problems getting to and from my Mega-Corp's HO near Chicago. Both of us climbed the corporate ladder a long way (although he F**d up any chance of ER via divorce and consumption). Not bad for two nobodies from the backwaters of west Canada.

... Not bad for two nobodies from the backwaters of west Canada.

I could try put a good spin on why I don't want "to go home again": About five years out of HS, a stunning women came up to me in the dime store, and said, "you don't remember me, do you you." No, she had improved her hair style and makeup and looked great with her two toddlers. A rumor was circulating about the least popular guy in the class (his unpopularitly, of course, was way under deserved); turns out he went from ugly duckling to swan, looked like a movie star with a great physique. At about age 45, my sister pointed out a spectacular looking women; she was the popular cheerleader from my class.

I'd rather remember them as they were at their best; I really don't want to hear about bitter divorces, illnesses, etc. Leave it in childhood.

Interesting thread - my take:

I've been to my 10 year and 20 year high school reunion - never been to any college 'stuff' like that except to footbal games.

I still keep in touch with three girlfriends from high school on my own - however, I did enjoy going to the high school reunions - what amazed me was how many had stayed in the area and married fellow alums (not necessarily from the same year). I guess it shows how different I was from them in general - I haven't lived back there since I graduated from college....have been around the world and have very different experiences. However, I still marvel at my friends and what they've accomplished - all are entrepeneurs of some sort. I hope to stay in touch with these friends for as long as we live.

Back
Top Bottom