Join Early Retirement Today

Re: You think your commute is bad, Part 2
Old 04-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie
186 miles one way... yikes.

That cat values his time a helluva lot less than I value mine.
Besides the horrendous commute, this guy would have to spend oodles of time with car issues:

1. Fill up the car with gas every day.
2. Get an oil change every TEN work days!

edit: grammer

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2006, 01:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
When I was in NY, there were people who lived in Pennsylvania.. which is the other side of NJ!! *
My in-laws live near the Poconos in Pennsylvania.* People who work in New York are buying homes there because they are so much cheaper, and there are "express buses" that take commuters to the city.* I think it takes about 2 hours each way.* Better than driving, but I think I'd have to find something different.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
My in-laws live near the Poconos in Pennsylvania.* People who work in New York are buying homes there because they are so much cheaper, and there are "express buses" that take commuters to the city.* I think it takes about 2 hours each way.* Better than driving, but I think I'd have to find something different.

Yea, I do know that a lot of them would get to a train station some way and then ride the train into the city... but, 2 HRS each way!! And it was so funny to see a s$*t load of people running to Penn station to catch a train!!! I am sure it was the same with Grand Central... if your train only goes once an hour you do not want to miss your train..

I did not like the commute and I lived in Manhattan but had to get to NJ on the PATH... now I am in a very boring job that a new college grad should be doing, but am back HOME... some things are more important than others...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

My commute is 12 miles, but we officially started the 9/80, so now I get a three day weekend every other week! That combined with 5 weeks off and the holidays, I figured out that now I'll spend 165 days a year away from work - it's almost semi-er!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I wonder how much sick and vacation time the 186 mile commuter uses in a year?

I drive 23 miles each way. I don't like it that much, but I wouldn't trade where I live for anything shorter. It takes 30-35 mins in good weather.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I was on my 10 mile commute to work two weeks ago on the Interstate and was hit from behind by a hit and run driver. My car was turned 180 degrees facing oncoming rush hour traffic. Fortunately I was not hit by one of the tractor trailer trucks behind me. It was a bad commute.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

* *186 miles each way?* What is that, a 6-hour commute? I think I'd be getting weekly rates at a hotel and go home for weekends...* gotta be cheaper.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Especially when you think he puts 50k miles on his car every year just for work. I would definitely be buying 3 year old Hyundais!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

From a Newsweek article on 'extreme commuters':

"Extreme commuters" who travel more than 90 minutes to work, one way, are the fastest-growing group of commuters, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. More than 3.4 million commuters take that long road to work every day, double the rate of extreme commuters in 1990. And the fastest-growing departure time is now between 5 and 6 a.m. Even $3-a-gallon gas and growing gridlock aren't slowing the rise of this group, which is changing the way we live as we spend more time in our cars and less time in our communities. This endless commute is becoming the defining characteristic of the 21st-century working stiff. So much of what we worry about today—volatile real-estate prices, sleeplessness, our overstressed lives—all merge together on the road, as we search for the elusive simple life in some suburban Shangri-La.

..."How much is it worth to own your own home if you end up spending four hours on the road and not playing with your kids, not sleeping enough and rotting in traffic?"

It's apparently worth plenty, because more people than ever are willing to trade time in their car for the American Dream: big house, big yard. Nearly 10 million people now drive more than an hour to work, up 50 percent from 1990.

:P :P :P

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I told my husband the other day that the most dangerous part of my job was my commute. It's the one thing I won't miss at all!!

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
From a Newsweek article on 'extreme commuters':

"Extreme commuters" who travel more than 90 minutes to work, one way, are the fastest-growing group of commuters, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. More than 3.4 million commuters take that long road to work every day, double the rate of extreme commuters in 1990. And the fastest-growing departure time is now between 5 and 6 a.m. Even $3-a-gallon gas and growing gridlock aren't slowing the rise of this group, which is changing the way we live as we spend more time in our cars and less time in our communities. This endless commute is becoming the defining characteristic of the 21st-century working stiff. So much of what we worry about today—volatile real-estate prices, sleeplessness, our overstressed lives—all merge together on the road, as we search for the elusive simple life in some suburban Shangri-La.

..."How much is it worth to own your own home if you end up spending four hours on the road and not playing with your kids, not sleeping enough and rotting in traffic?"

It's apparently worth plenty, because more people than ever are willing to trade time in their car for the American Dream: big house, big yard. Nearly 10 million people now drive more than an hour to work, up 50 percent from 1990.

:P :P :P

Wow! The American Dream is now a nightmare. Time to re-evaluate our priorites. How much is that job really worth? Time to downsize and have a life.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm climbing up on my soapbox, so you may want to leave now...

If we as a country did more to discourage suburban sprawl and live a little more densely, we'd save time, money, and natural resources. We'd also have a helluva lot more open space to enjoy and a helluva lot less air pollution. Maybe we wouldn't need quite as many freeways that are 12 lanes wide.

Does anybody disagree with me?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
If we as a country did more to discourage suburban sprawl and live a little more densely, we'd save time, money, and natural resources. We'd also have a helluva lot more open space to enjoy and a helluva lot less air pollution. Maybe we wouldn't need quite as many freeways that are 12 lanes wide.
Questions & comments:

How would you discourage suburban sprawl? Increase taxes based on how far you live from the center of the city? Good luck in getting voters to approve that.

Not all of us are wired for high density living. Haven't you seen what happens to people rats who live in NYC densely packed environments?

You might still need "freeways that are 12 lanes wide" to get people in and out of the rat warren city on weekends when they head for those open spaces to enjoy a little breathing room.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm climbing up on my soapbox, so you may want to leave now...

If we as a country did more to discourage suburban sprawl and live a little more densely, we'd save time, money, and natural resources.* We'd also have a helluva lot more open space to enjoy and a helluva lot less air pollution.* Maybe we wouldn't need quite as many freeways that are 12 lanes wide.

Yes, I disagree with you... have you lived in a city like London or New York? Packed in like sardines!!! There are some advantages to this kind of living, but there are also disadvantages...

I could not walk down the street without getting hit by someone not paying attention to where they were walking... and there were so many people to dodge... and a trip of a few miles took a long time as you had to walk to the subway, wait for a train, maybe change lines once or twice.... and then there were the SMALL living spaces that cost a LOT..

Another thing is that the people that live in these dense areas do not want to be there.. I was on a train in England once and was talking to a city planner.. they were having a difficult time as they had a lot of sprawl... I told them they did not know what it meant... take a look at Houston if you want to know what sprawl is...
Old 04-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Questions & comments:

How would you discourage suburban sprawl?* Increase taxes based on how far you live from the center of the city?* Good luck in getting voters to approve that.

Not all of us are wired for high density living.* Haven't you seen what happens to people rats who live in NYC densely packed environments?

You might still need "freeways that are 12 lanes wide" to get people in and out of the rat warren city on weekends when they head for those open spaces to enjoy a little breathing room.

Oh, I could think of a million ways to discourage sprawl, and I don't think I would ever favor a direct tax based on how far away you live from a city center. *Some cities have done a better job of discouraging sprawl than others. *It's too big an issue to delve into it in this little post. *

I also happen to be one of those people who needs elbow room. *I sure wouldn't want to live in a high-rise, and I don't blame anyone for wanting a big house with a big lawn in the 'burbs. *I just think that those big houses in the burbs impose costs (greater pollution, less open space, greater infrastructure costs, less energy independence) than smaller houses closer to an urban core. *Under our current system, those costs are unnecessarily high, and they're not fairly distributed. *

Maybe the more fundamental problem is that we just have too many people! *But I guess that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Texas Proud: I hear what you're saying. I don't think everyone should live in a London or a New York. But we've got to do more to slow the virus-like growth of strip malls and cookie-cutter housing developments that is devouring our open spaces.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #36

Quote:
density issues are simply distractions and their so-called solutions are temporary at best. if we as a people and a planet did more to control population growth, density wouldn't be an issue at all.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #37

Quote:
...we've got to do more to slow the virus-like growth of strip malls and cookie-cutter housing developments that is devouring our open spaces.
I-10 in West Texas: Devour 'till your heart is content...

[img width=750 height=561]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/REWannabe/WestTexasI-10.jpg[/img]

Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #38

now there's a tough lawn to water

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #39

Quote:
But we've got to do more to slow the virus-like growth of strip malls and cookie-cutter housing developments that is devouring our open spaces.
But these are the exact things that people want (based on their consumption patterns). Affordable, attractive neighborhoods and convenient retail outlets offering a variety of goods and services.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #40

Yeah, but people with good intentions know better than everyone else what everyone else wants...