Drive One - Unhappy About It 9 9.00%
To Each Their Own 56 56.00%
May God Have Mercy On Them 11 11.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Your Attitude Towards People Who Drive Gas Guzzlers
Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

sc, I was going to post a response to yours, but it looks like you already took care of that for me..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe it's more efficient that way, so you can use less fuel posting.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Preserve electrons - Save the Internet! Peak IP packets is nigh!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Dan, WHAT problems I work in the oil business. These guys are going to pay for my kids' education and my retiremement. I have beach-front property in Churchill, Manitoba. Global warming will make me rich.
Ed The Gypsy

I used to sell excursion tickets for the Churchill train....You and the bears, Ed.... laying on the beach! Where's the chilly shivering face here.... oh this will have to do!

I got no problem with you Ed...I say lets annex Canada and its oil sands, increase our MPG standards, replace big SUVs with hybrids, increase our ethanol (sugar) use so my ALEX will sky rocket, and forget about getting oil from the Middle-East, Nigeria, Venezuela and anywhere else where we could be made vulnerable, so we don't have to have anymore troops and their families pay the price while we just go about our comfortable lives without any sacrifice
Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gas guzzlers are the tragedy of the commons. We are in hock to our enemies yet we expect (ala Bill O'Reilly) our citizens to solve the problem through individual choices to conserve. Ain't gonna happen. We should have solved this in the 70s with gas taxes or some kind of penalty at the cash register on vehicles that don't reach aggressive mileage standards. Meanwhile, I drive an SUV.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #26

Choice is good.* You want to drive an SUV, go for it.

I love choice.* All freedom lovers do.* You can drive your SUV thru the McDonald's drive-in on your way to WalMarts to buy a rifle, listening to Rush Limbaugh, while you're smoking a cigar.* That's called choice.* Or you can vote for more control by the do-gooders who just know they are smarter than you.* If you do, they will probably find a way to limit, tax or destroy one or all of the above, for your own good, of course.* It's all about choice.*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

So given that I regularly put four people, two dogs and a baby into a vehicle, and I only buy about 40 gallons of gas every six weeks or so across three vehicles, am I still damned to go to hell, the cause of our economic ills and the executor of our soldiers?

:
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #28

I voted to each their own, because you simply can't lump all gas guzzler/SUV drivers into one category. A friend of mine just bought a Nissan Xterra, the smallest SUV Nissan makes. It's EPA-rated at 16/21. On his first fill-up, he got about 20 mpg, although granted it was mostly highway driving. But still, for something that's got 4wd, weighs 4200+ pounds, has 265+ hp, and can do 0-60 in around 7 seconds or so, I'd say that's pretty damned impressive!

Also, interestingly, most full-sized SUVs, like the Tahoe and Expedition, despite their bulk, get similar economy to smaller ones like the Trailblazer and Explorer.

As for me, I drove to work today in a 1985 Silverado that gets around 10 mpg around town. Do I consider that a guzzler? You bet! But at the same time, it's paid for, has gone maybe 9,000 miles in the 3 1/2 years I've owned it, and has proven very useful in hauling stuff to the dump, picking up stuff from the hardware store, and just doing projects around the house. And I just don't see the benefit of paying $16K or more for a brand-new standard-sized truck that might get 16-17 around town, just to drive it a few thousand miles per year and then abuse it by dumping a cubic yard of topsoil in it (which was heavier than I thought it would be! )

Now okay, yeah, there are plenty of people who buy these big guzzlers just to show off, or make up for some kind of sexual deficiency. But many of them might also use that big guzzling SUV on the weekends to tow a boat, haul a bunch of people around, etc. And by and large, having one gas guzzling vehicle that can do everything still usually ends up being cheaper than having one guzzler to handle your heavy work, and one fuel sipper for daily commuting and such.

Honestly, I don't see a guzzling SUV to be any worse than a guzzling luxury car or a guzzling sportscar. Buy it if you can afford it. Don't expect me to be impressed by it, but you shouldn't be buying it to impress ME, anyway. Unless you're buying it FOR me
Old 05-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
So given that I regularly put four people, two dogs and a baby into a vehicle, and I only buy about 40 gallons of gas every six weeks or so across three vehicles, am I still damned to go to hell, the cause of our economic ills and the executor of our soldiers?

:
No CSB, you are damned to go to hell even before you get to that, unless you have I Support Our Troops decal on the back....Minivan? When I was running around with the little ones I had minvans - 7 passengers and hauled just about everything...good mileage too....understand they were uncool for awhile but are now making a comeback... just read in the AARP mag that old VW bus hippies are picking up Scions and Elements to get the old groove on again...
Old 05-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

If I got twice the mileage I'm getting with the expedition, I'm still using 10-40% of the gas used by someone in a civic who elects to work an hour away from home. And way better than someone who decides to drive into a major city rather than the inconveniece of a train or bus.

Get a different job, shorten your commute, or take public transportation to work.

THEN you can sneer at people whose transportation needs are completely unknown to you. And those damn cell phone users too! And tell those kids to get the hell off my lawn! Who touched this thermostat? Am I made of money here? Do I look like a money tree?!?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I think they are mostly self-centered peckerheads who have decided that following a fad is worth putting me and every other person who would like to drive a small, fuel-efficient car at risk if they hit one of us in their behemoth. But since I don't make the rules (yet), there's not much I can do about it besides moving up to a bigger, safer car that still gets decent mileage.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

So does buying a bigger, safer car to offset the other peckerheads make you a peckerhead too, or are you pecker exempt?

What exactly is the GVWR/Peckerhead crossover point, or is it tied to EPA mileage directly?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I drive a diesel Jetta and carry a gun to protect me from the peckerheads.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #34

Quote:
So does buying a bigger, safer car to offset the other peckerheads make you a peckerhead too, or are you pecker exempt?

What exactly is the GVWR/Peckerhead crossover point, or is it tied to EPA mileage directly?
eh, saw that coming....He's talking about self-centered peckerheads, not regular run of the mill peckerheads...there's a big difference I understand, but I'll let you guys sort that out...
Old 05-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That's an exercise left for the reader, I suppose. I'd be happy to drive something more fuel efficient than my current ride, but no way am I doing so with all the 5,000# and up monstrosities running around.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Same here, as described in the "other" car thread. I'd probably rather buy a car or a wagon, but I'm almost rammed 2-3 times a day and regularly cut off by an f-250 or excursion where the driver barely slows to 10mph before running the stop sign and never looks in my direction once. And I dont drive much. Plus if I was in a car, I wouldnt be able to see anything other than the door panels and rear bumpers of pickup trucks.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Personally, I think they are mostly self-centered peckerheads who have decided that following a fad is worth putting me and every other person who would like to drive a small, fuel-efficient car at risk if they hit one of us in their behemoth.
Well, when it comes to accidents, over the years I've been the one who's gotten hit more often than I've been the one doing the hitting. And I've driven some pretty big behemoths in my time! My take on it is that the bigger the battlcruiser, the more harmlessly the careless little car drivers bounce off my car when they hit it!

Now, that being said, I do most of my driving these days in a 2000 Intrepid, which really isn't that big of a car and would still get slaughtered by something like a full-sized pickup or SUV. Still, I prefer to demonize the driver rather than the vehicle.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Thats my favorite line too when my dad exclaims from the back seat "Wow...he never looked and almost ran that stop sign and hit you!".

"Yep, I'd have been picking bits of that piece of crap out of my grill for a week or more!"

Old 05-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #39

Useful reference for just about everything related to your ride.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

My rides all-round Ave MPG
Mazda 6 - 25
Outback - 24
Old 05-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

My Jetta is double that.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote