Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Avatar: the Good Soldier Svejk, a character from a book by Czech author Hasek. Svejk is a little man caught in a big machine who pretends to be an idiot so he can get away with what he feels like doing.

Name: I am a long time homebrewer and beer judge.

Signature: a general disclaimer (margin of error...) And a quote that is both descriptive of my life and a reminder.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...
Avatar: I wouldn't really call it an avatar - it is just a picture from the deck at my weekend house.
Forum name: based on parts of my real name. Was my first Internet dialup logon and used on all forums I participate in.
Signature: no apologies for being laid back.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...
Avatar: A pint of beer (specifically, this is a a pint of an English bitter, one of my favorite styles).

Name: The German word for brewmaster. I've been a homebrewer, beer judge, beer writer, and brewing consultant for over two decades, and it's still one of my primary interests in life. Beer making is a wonderful blend of art and science.

Sig: This changes at random intervals. Just a phrase that catches my fancy.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #44
gone traveling
Avatar - A picture of our latest "rescue" (Shetland Sheepdog, AKA "miniature collie"). We've had Shelties over the last 37 years, and doing breed rescue for 7+ years.

Name - Says it all

Signature - None
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
Avatar - a broken clay pigeon. Username, what I do for fun and relaxation, turning flying clay pigeons into dust on trap, skeet and sporting clay courses in the Northeast.
Never surrender what you really want for what you want right now.
shotgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado
Avatar: Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes, my favorite comic ever. Bonus is Calvin is kicking a soccer ball, my passion.

Name: My real name is Will, however when I moved to the south, people who had lived here elongated the vowel. I really never noticed until some old friends from California were visiting and wondered why I was now known as "Wheel". Hence my forum name.....

Signature: Dealing with employees in my w**k life, I heard every story imaginable and then some. I got so disillusioned that people thought they could tell me anything, lie to my face and I'd believe it. Finally realized I was the stupid one for trying to make sense of it all. The quote is again from Calvin & Hobbes, and truly sums up what I ended up learning while w**rking!
"The surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that they haven't tried to contact us yet." Calvin & Hobbes
Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.
Avatar: The silly look on the emu's face makes me laugh every time I see it.

Name: A coworker's nickname for me.

Sig: I believe this philosophy is at the core of FIRE.
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means." Calvin Coolidge
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Screen Name: Grumpy - because I often am
Signature: ... you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave ... From Hotel California
__________________ can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #49
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Avatar: I like Pepsi, hope this isn't copyright infringement?

Name: Nickname one of my co-workers had mentioned in passing.

Sig: Quote from one of W2R's postings that I can relate to.

I had PM'd her to see if it was o.k. for me to use but never got a hopefully it is as I used it anyway
Of course it is OK! I am flattered. I don't remember the PM so maybe I was bleary-eyed from overwork back in those days.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #50
Avator - my Silkie
Name - self explanatory
Sig - none
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Very interesting; and I always thought your forum name meant you were a fan of lower medium grade bonds.
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I always thought the 3 B's meant something completely different. Still do...
Mmmmm.....these bonds/b's perhaps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail[6].jpg (4.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnailCA8ONY79.jpg (4.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnailCAVJF3J9.jpg (4.6 KB, 126 views)
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Name: Me, a name I call myself.
Signature: Perhaps the finest bit of investing advice I have ever seen on television.
Doe, a deer,

Name: a combination of calm and low key, with a bit of Norse trickster/shapeshifter.

Avatar: a fine and noble beast to whose utility I aspire. As Twain has it; "Observe the ass, for instance: his character is about perfect, he is the choicest spirit among all the humbler animals, yet see what ridicule has brought him to. Instead of feeling complimented when we are called an ass, we are left in doubt".
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #53
Name: Orchids are my favorite flower...but I always seem to kill them off (drats!).

Avatar: The photo was the only one in my folder and I don't even have an idea how it got there or when, but I managed to figure out how to download it.

Signature: Big animal lover here and believe in taking care of them.
Please consider adopting a rescue animal. So very many need a furr-ever home and someone to love them! And if we all spay/neuter our pets there won't be an overpopulation to put to death.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
We've done this in the past, but not in a while so I thought it might be interesting.
Thanks for starting this up-- wish I'd thought of it. Many times I've wanted a large-format directory of avatars so that I can see what the heck I'm looking at...

Avatar: The Tasmanian Devil surfing-- which is pretty much the way I feel when I go off the lip, down the elevator, and hit the bottom turn.

It's also a snarky comment about a shipmate from one of my submarines who earned the nickname from his facial resemblance upon being easily provoked by anyone into getting "spun up". Gumby, he's your classmate with the initials K. I.

Forum Name: Truncated version of my last name, given to me by my first XO. (Navy XOs hand out the lifelong call signs to aviators & some submariners.) He had a lot of special names for me, but this one is printable and even my spouse calls me by that name now. Wait'll my daughter realizes what's going to happen to her when she's commissioned...

Signature: I'm marketing the book (see my profile). Maybe someday I'll get past that and have to come up with a new witty & pithy quote.

Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... but that photo of Eva Habermann is one that I really do like.
Oh, yeah, that'd be fine by me too!

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...
Avatar: Bugs Bunny. Need I explain?

Name: Freebird ("and this bird you cannot ooooooooo" from the Lynyrd Skynyrd song) Freebird was also my CB handle back in the summer of 79, a time to remember indeed. It is an atititude I have always had through life.
The "5825" refers to the year I was born (58) and my age (25) at my marriage to the most wonderful man I ever met. Two very defining years for me...existence and happiness.

Signature: A quote from Walt Disney, one of the most brilliant artistic and technological innovators of all time. He and his company hired some of the most creative people in the world. This is my most favorite quote of his... about having dreams and the courage to make it happen.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets
Forum Name: An uncreative nickname that no one calls me in real life, but could, and you are welcome to.

Avatar: The oldest picture I have of an Arnie ancestor, circa 1879.

Signature: Something that matches the way I've been thinking lately.

This thread prompted me to actually choose an avatar. Now If I could just get around to my "Hi, I am ..." post.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #57

Name: Would have used Rusty or RustyShackleford (reference to Dale Gribble in King of the Hill) but those were taken so I kept the Rust and added the last four letters while under the influence of watching a SpongeBob Squarepants episode -- a reference to Squidward.

Signature: none at present

BTW there is some very subtle adult humor in many Spongebob Squarepants episodes.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #58
Amethyst: A beautiful gemstone that is my favorite color (purple).

Avatar: The prettiest amethyst-related picture I could find in Google Images. Sometimes I use other avatars, but always come back to Blondie. Come to think of it, I married a blond too (but not a blonde).

.sig: Often changes. At present, it is a FIRE-ish sentiment from the work of my favorite fantasy author, Robin Hobb.
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...
Avatar: Changes periodically, but our DD...a 14 yr old Sheltie.

Name: Long story, but when we first started sailboat racing, we tended to finish in the middle of the pack.

Sig: Also changes periodically, currently self-explanatory...
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.
Name: From the Right Said Fred song "I'm too sexy", where he says "I'm too sexy for my cat", edited to fit my situation. I do not feed or shelter the cat (he is not mine) so although we love each other, he thinks I'm cheap.

toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote