Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Your Fantasy Bathroom
Old 10-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
Can I see what's behind door number two?
Sure, go ahead....but better knock first
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2005, 11:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
My fantasy bath would have to be a Japanese bath.
My inner geek has always wanted a high-tech toilet, a plumbed floor, and a liquid crystal window.* *And my inner carpenter has always wanted lots of wood with Japanese-style joinery, paper screens, etc.* *But, in the end, my practical, cheap, and lazy sensibilities came through during our last bathroom remodel.* *Simple, clean lines, inexpensive, robust, and water-resistant!

What's the MTBF for these high-tech Japanese baths?* *Do you need an IT guy in the stall next to you to keep it running?

Edit: supposedly, there's a new generation of electrochromic windows that should be better than the liquid crystal gadget. At some point, I will no longer be able to resist one. We have an ocean view from our tub, and my wife wanted blinds on the window for privacy! Of course, she got her blinds, but as soon as Home Depot starts carrying EC windows, they're gone!
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:02 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

My fantasy bathroom is having my own bathroom.

I also want bathrooms that are entirely waterproof. To clean it, you close the door, flick on a switch, and the whole thing gets sprayed down and then blown dried.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Being way out in the sticks, we could just leave the seat down
all the time and I could just walk out on the deck if I was so inclined.

JG
JG: If I was your DW and you put the hot tub out near the deck, I wouldn't use it. .

--Greg
Old 10-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

More on Japanese bathrooms.....

We stayed with some Japanese friends a few months ago. First, you NEVER get into the tub without taking a complete shower first. The shower and tub are in the same room - no shower stall, the room is the shower area. The whole room is water proof with a drain in the floor. You sit in a small stool to wash, scrubbing every inch. Then, you rinse and get into the tub to soak, not wash. The same water stays in the tub all day and everyone in the house, guests and family, use the same water to soak in. Our Japanese friends would soak 3 or 4 times a day.

The next morning, the old tub water is used to wash clothes. A hose drains the tub water into the washing machine.

If you ever get a chance, go to a Japanese ryokan. These are traditional Japanese Inns, usually with onsens (natural hot springs). We have been fortunate enough to go to several. My fantasy bathroom would have to be an onsen....

http://www.view-hotel.co.jp/daiyokujo/index.html
http://www.myguidejapan.com/kyushu/kyushu.html
Repairmanjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairmanjack
The same water stays in the tub all day and everyone in the house, guests and family, use the same water to soak in. Our Japanese friends would soak 3 or 4 times a day.
Ewww. What's that scent you're wearing, honey? Oh, that's Eau d'Repairmanjack.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

ummm, as you can guess, I tried to be the first in the tub every day.

The real 'ewww' is when you eat a traditional Japanese meal. Nothing is familiar. Being adventurous, I tried a lot of things. Eel, many kinds of raw fish, bulbs, strange pickles. But I yearned for a Big Mac by the time we left.

Japan is an amazing and wonderful place to visit. Speaking of bathrooms, the toilets seem to be either those great high tech toilets or a hole with handholds and you squat. I used the squat one on the bullet train - what a 'rush'!!!
Repairmanjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #28
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

I apologize in advance...* *

There are fantasy bathrooms, and nightmares...

Here's a photo from one of the last outings before we left the Middle East... (and no, I don't customarily take such photos -- just wanted a reminder of what I was leaving behind...)

This was in an oasis town about 2 hours south of where we lived. This was comparatively clean, as public facilities go.

And there is no discussion of putting the seat up or down...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hofuf.jpg (20.0 KB, 453 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb hofuf.jpg_thumb (33.6 KB, 0 views)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
DanTien,
You have entirely too much time on your hands.
Now that I have my wireless notebook I can multi-task doing more of pretty much nothing all day sitting in many different places... ...can you guess where I was during the first post of this topic?
Old 10-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #30

I always knew there was a reason I don't travel out of the US (besides refusing to fly) and dory36 just verified that for me. Some bathrooms/facilites in the US are bad enough.

C__

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #31

[img][/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 833dff.jpg (31.6 KB, 113 views)
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #32

Potty Glow is a comfortable, high-quality toilet seat with a very special feature...

http://www.prankplace.com/bathroom_pottyglow.htm
Old 10-11-2005, 03:43 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I pretty much have my dream bath. 8)

My bath/shower room is similar to the one mikew describes (same maker, in fact). It looks pretty much like this:

but without the sliding glass doors to the outside. As Repairmanjack notes, the shower area where you get clean is to the right of the soaker tub.

There is a control system which automatically fills the tub to the desired depth and temperature (and which can have a different programmed temperature from the shower water), the shower area has the Thermo-floor to prevent cold footsies in the winter, and the large tub comfortably fits parent and child (children generally don't bathe alone in Japan):

I love that bath.

We did not get the automatic hose-to-the-washer option -- doing the bucket brigade thing is our bit of LBYM. The washer is in the adjacent room, with the sink, so it is not a big deal.

Our toilet, in its own room, looks pretty much like this:

Features: bidet (front or back, as desired) with adjustable strength, temperature and nozzle motion, heated toilet seat, and hand-washing faucet and sink built into the top of the tank. We did not get the optional automatic electronic flush system.

Have to say that bathrooms are one of the best things about living in Japan.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
I apologize in advance...* *

There are fantasy bathrooms, and nightmares...
Ya know, Dory, as a former Auxiliaries Officer (in charge of toilets & sanitary tanks) I didn't think anything could make me go eeeeeewwwww... I was wrong!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #35

The Travel Channel did a show on the World's Best Bathrooms.
http://travel.discovery.com/fansites...bathrooms.html
Old 10-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dory,

I am a sheltered city boy. From my travels, I have decided that the definition of civilization is toilet paper.

By the way, thanks for the info. Maybe I won't check out those jobs in Saudi Arabia now.

Salaam, dude.

Gypsy
Old 10-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Our master bath has a double vanity, toilet, soaker tub (no jets, but I wouldn't use them anyway since I usually take a book with me and the jets are too loud), and a large shower. The room itself is as large as my shared bedroom growing up. There is some tile work and vinyl flooring. To make it my dream bath I would need a heated tile floor and a tiled shower instead of the "ready made" one that is set in there.