Your Favorite Beer

#1 Kona Brewing Company's Wailua Wheat
#2 Dos XX Lager
#3 Angry Orchard Hard Ciders

Wheat beer is my favorite type.
Allagash hands down is my favorite, but I have not seen it in FLA, so drink the German wheats and some FLA local wheats.

I make my own, but when I buy beer, I prefer these:

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. - Blithering Idiot (barleywine)
Founders Brewing Co. - Dirty Bastard (scotch ale)
Allagash Brewing Co. - Curieux (barrel aged tripel)

Beer snobs won't like what I have to say. Bud Light in a frosted mug. Everything else is just fluff.

I wonder what a poll covering “craft” and “quantity consumed”’would look like. The craft beers often have higher alcohol content and might (or might not) have less consumption.

I have no favorite beer.
1. I only buy craft beers.
2. I have 5 breweries within 6 blocks of my house.
3. My local pub/pizza place has 21 beers on rotation, so in an average week, they have 40+ beers available.

So much beer, so little time — Andy Capp.

I'd rather have a plain coors than heineken any day.

Way, way back when...

In the Indyucky region, it was either Stroh’s or PBR. My choice between the two was PBR. When wanting to appear more sophisticated, Bud, or even better, Michelob.

I recall earlier seeing all the local, Ohio River basin beers, such as Sterling, Weidemann, Fall City, Hudepohl, etc. Went through a spell of drinking Sterling in the barrel-shaped “big mouth” bottle. And for a while a tavern near the factory where I w*rked had ice cold mugs of Hudepohl for cheap. But overall, those beers tasted like horse whiz...

Early on, Coors was not available east the the Mississippi, so the first time I had one was when friends drove to St. Louis to get it. Can’t say I knew what all the fuss was about.

Other phases include Miller in the 7-oz bottle, and Little King’s Cream Ale in the small bottle, for those really hot days. Can’t have your beer getting warm!

Went through the skunky beer (Heineken and Lowenbrau) phase...

Probably the worst beer I’ve ever had was Carling’s Black Label, with Meisterbrau a close second. A buddy and I bought two cases at $3.99 ea. We iced down one and took it to an outdoor concert, each having one on the way. The stuff was horrid, so horrid, in fact, that when a cop made us pour it out (wasn’t allowed inside the park), we cheered!

These days, it’s mostly Bud Light for hot afternoons of heavy input. Yep, not going to please the beer aficionados, but in my mind much better than either Miller or Coors light beers. I like darker beers, but only for sipping. Like an occasional IPA, but many are excessively hoppy. Commercial beers like Shiner Bock or Dos Equis Amber go with Tex-Mex, NFL, although a Blue Moon with orange isn’t bad on a happy hour patio. Sapporo at the sushi place.

Probably the worst beer I’ve ever had was Carling’s Black Label.

Back in Toronto in the 1960s I lived with a bunch of guys and we'd throw 'bring your own beer' parties........we'd always stash a case or two away for ourselves, (to cover the work cleaning up dontcha know).

On one post party day I pulled out a dozen Carling Cinci which none of us had tried before.....if you think Black Label was bad...this was foul!

AFAIK it all ended up down the toilet, (without being consumed first).

I wonder what a poll covering “craft” and “quantity consumed”’would look like. The craft beers often have higher alcohol content and might (or might not) have less consumption.

+1

I have a pub within walking distance of my house and I usually choose from the rotating 4 or 5 Scotch Ales they have on tap. I'll often just do a half pint because they are so rich and heavy, but yum, a half pint is so satisfying!

There was a thread a little while ago about no-alcohol beer. That and a news piece about a German Olympic team favoring them got me to find a few and try them out. The one I liked the best was Becks. While I like the taste of many of the craft beers, it’s nice to have a NA option with taste around, especially with those hot summer afternoons on their way.

As for Black Label and Meister Brau, when I drank them years ago I thought they weren't bad for their type. The original Leinenkugel's -- now there was an awful beer. A couple could produce a splitting headache.

Favorite depends on the situation.

Favorite cheap beer: Hamms. Good for hot days after mowing the lawn or splitting wood.

Favorite everyday beer. Grain Belt Premium in the glass bottle.

Favorite craft beer. Summit EPA or their Saga IPA.

All Minnesota brewed. I'm crossing the border to Canada next week and will get some Moosehead, Molson or Labbatt's Blue.

I've been gravitating to stouts recently.

We usually get something from a local brewer when traveling. We no longer keep beer at home, since we drink less of it. This summer I promise to step up my game!

+1 for Spacedust IPA. I also enjoy Boneyard RPM. In the PNW, we’re pretty lucky with a good a selection of local microbrews.

If I had to pick only one style of beer to drink, then it’d be a Czech Pilsner. Urquell or any number of other local Czech beers.

What:confused: no PBR fans here? What is wrong with you people!!!!!!!!!!

Pabst was the beer of choice when I was in high school. It's changed a lot (for the worse, IMO) since then. Miller brews it now under contract.

While InBev has been swallowing up active breweries, Pabst has been buying up defunct brands. A couple of years ago they put out a new formulation of Schlitz, using the brand's recipe from before Schlitz cheapened their product in the early '70s, nearly killing the company. That beer is (was? I haven't seen it lately) also contract-brewed by Miller. I tried it, and it was decent for an adjunct lager.

Pabst recently reopened a bit of their long-shuttered Milwaukee brewery to make some small-batch beers. The word is that they revived Andecker, but it's only available at the on-premise brewpub.

+1 for Spacedust IPA. I also enjoy Boneyard RPM. In the PNW, we’re pretty lucky with a good a selection of local microbrews.

If I had to pick only one style of beer to drink, then it’d be a Czech Pilsner. Urquell or any number of other local Czech beers.

DW and I visited Prague a few years ago, and we noticed that in some restaurants the beer was cheaper than bottled water (yeah, I suppose the water bottles were bigger than the beer bottles). I hadn't tried Budvar before (the original Budweiser), which I enjoyed in pale and dark flavors. The Czechs know how to make great beer.

View attachment 31552

Last edited:
Mr._Graybeard said:
DW and I visited Prague a few years ago, and we noticed that in some restaurants the beer was cheaper than bottled water (yeah, I suppose the water bottles were bigger than the beer bottles). I hadn't tried Budvar before (the original Budweiser), which I enjoyed in pale and dark flavors. The Czechs know how to make great beer.

Beer is cheaper the farther East one goes in Europe, based upon my experience. I am still amazed that I can buy a great beer for less than a can of Coke - about a $1.50 or so. In Prague a plate of Svičkovà and a good Czech beer is a wonderful dinner.

Last edited:
Don't tipple any longer but back in the day and when we lived in VT, Switchback unfiltered ale from Burlington was a favorite. Don't know about now but back then it was only available on draft and, on special occasions like the Christmas season in big cans. My local American Legion post had it on draft at a much better price than fancy pubs and restaurants.

As for Black Label and Meister Brau, when I drank them years ago I thought they weren't bad for their type. The original Leinenkugel's -- now there was an awful beer. A couple could produce a splitting headache.

I have an acquaintance who was a chemical engineer for one of the major breweries. They attribute the headache in beer to the proprietary yeast strain that that company uses. I have drunk/drank many beers (and wines) over the years, and Budweiser will give me a headache guaranteed the next day. At first I thought it was the beech wood chips, but my acquaintance said otherwise.

Not a beer drinker, but DD had Angry Orchard Pineapple as one of their drinks at their wedding. Tasted good on that hot day!

I have an acquaintance who was a chemical engineer for one of the major breweries. They attribute the headache in beer to the proprietary yeast strain that that company uses. I have drunk/drank many beers (and wines) over the years, and Budweiser will give me a headache guaranteed the next day. At first I thought it was the beech wood chips, but my acquaintance said otherwise.

That is true. The particular yeast strain used by A-B produces a relatively high amount of acetaldehyde compared to most brewers' yeasts. That isn't well tolerated by about 7% of the general population, which is why many people say Budweiser (and its derivatives) gives them a headache.

Of course they are painfully well aware of this, but they can't do anything about it because changing the yeast would change the flavor profile of the beer.

Back
Top Bottom