Join Early Retirement Today

Your favorite chair
Old 07-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your favorite chair

I splurged yesterday after getting some paint, for an Arizona room we wanted to paint. While waiting for paint to get mixed I got looking at new recliners.

Well, I seen one I liked (colour) and comfort and told the guy I want that chair. He told me it just came in and they just put it on the floor. LOL

My old chair, if you can believe it, was 25 years old. Lol It was in great shape actually and had been cleaned and taken care of so was very useable etc..

Have you had a favorite chair and have a hard time throwing it out?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #2
Administrator

Herman Miller Aeron. It’s the only chair I can spend time in.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My favorite chair is my exercise room recliner. I retire there every night to watch tv. I'll never throw it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 7.33.27 AM.jpg (443.0 KB, 63 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When looking for recliners, we went to the Furniture Mart in Hickory, NC. We sat in hundreds of recliners, and the high line Barcolounger and Hancock & Moore chairs stuck out in quality and feel.

My Hancock & Moore cordovan wingback recliner is still in use. It was expensive, but worth every penny. I was later fortunate to find a matching H&M leather hide a bed with goose down cushions for $200 in an estate sale--originally well over $5,000 new.

Recliners are not all created equal. With the really great ones, you can recline by just tilting your head back. Little effort is required to change positions on the movement.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #5

I have a nice leather Lazy Boy but I want to try one of these zero gravity chairs.

https://relaxtheback.com/collections...gravity-chairs
Old 07-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I love my favorite chair, a reddish Italian leather easy chair (photo attached) which I bought four years ago. However, with knee replacement surgery coming up next month, I read that it is almost a necessity to be able to rest with knees elevated relative to the rest of the body during recovery, and certain dual motor recliners can be extremely helpful for that. So, I just purchased this lift recliner which was delivered yesterday and which F and I got set up and in place last night. It is amazingly comfortable and rivals my easy chair but after some time passes, we shall see which is my favorite chair.

Anyway... I'm not getting rid of my old easy chair, no way! I plan to keep it, and F can sit in it when he is over here. On Saturday the Salvation Army will come and get my sofa and loveseat, since my den already had way too much furniture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chair_best.jpg (50.3 KB, 62 views)
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We bought his and hers Ekornes recliners when we were on our Scandinavian decor kick over 15 years ago. Still my favorite chair, but I dread thinking how much it will cost to replace it when the time comes.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
We bought his and hers Ekornes recliners when we were on our Scandinavian decor kick over 15 years ago. Still my favorite chair, but I dread thinking how much it will cost to replace it when the time comes.
+1 on the Ekornes Stressless recliners. I first learned about them when my father bought one (early '90s). I always liked it so when we remodeled our retirement house about 10 years ago, I bought one for the family room. I'm in it every night watching TV and knitting.

I really like the fact that they come in various sizes.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

About half my wooden furniture pieces are antiques and I have an older home, so I prefer traditional sofas and cushioned chairs. But I am struggling with finding comfortable seating now that I am retired and spend so much time at home.

I recently tried out Ekornes recliners at a cousin's and a neighbor's home and now want one. My cousin has significant back issues from being a paratrooper in the military. There are less expensive ergonomic recliners available but these may not fit my short, petite frame while the Ekornes comes in small, medium, and large and has lumbar support. If you are not picky about colors and can tolerate slightly used or returned items, there are some good deals on EBay for about $500-1000 less than new.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I've spent a ridiculous amount of time in mine since I bought it about 20 years ago. Still as good as new.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I have a nice leather Lazy Boy but I want to try one of these zero gravity chairs.

https://relaxtheback.com/collections...gravity-chairs

Don't have one but did try them out at the local showroom, very comfortable. I would only consider the upgraded models where you can adjust the back and leg sections separately.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Interesting how we can get so comfortable and attached to an item. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
It is my home office chair. I am on my second one. I wore the first one out after 15+ years of 8 hours/day. I got the cost down to under 5¢/hour.

Quote:
We bought Ekornes recliners
It is my reading room chair. I am on my second one. I bought the first one in 1972 and the leather cracked after 30+ because I did not take care of it.

Both are great chairs and worth the money.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I love my favorite chair, a reddish Italian leather easy chair (photo attached) which I bought four years ago. However, with knee replacement surgery coming up next month, I read that it is almost a necessity to be able to rest with knees elevated relative to the rest of the body during recovery, and certain dual motor recliners can be extremely helpful for that. So, I just purchased this lift recliner which was delivered yesterday and which F and I got set up and in place last night. It is amazingly comfortable and rivals my easy chair but after some time passes, we shall see which is my favorite chair.

Anyway... I'm not getting rid of my old easy chair, no way! I plan to keep it, and F can sit in it when he is over here. On Saturday the Salvation Army will come and get my sofa and loveseat, since my den already had way too much furniture.
Really like the rug. Opine if you will?
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
Really like the rug. Opine if you will?
Oh, the rug? Thank you! I love it too. The blue-green color is one of my favorite colors. The rug just a copy made over in Asia, but I like the rich colors and style. Still, I couldn't afford it when I saw it (at Kirschman's, a mid-level chain furniture store here in New Orleans 20 years ago), but the salesman just would not stop bargaining. When I said no, $2300 was too much, or no, I wasn't sure it would fit, he would bring the price down. I really wasn't trying to buy it (trying to save money at the time, plus it was too big to fit in most rooms), but he thought I was some sort of hard bitten negotiator I guess. Finally he brought his boss over and they sold it to me for $600 including tax and delivery! I was happy with the price, and when it was delivered I discovered that it wasn't too big after all. I think they really wanted to get rid of it because it was so large and they needed the room on the showroom floor. It's hard to see it well in the photo, because my finger is in the lower left corner covering part of it.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 AM   #16

My favorite (and most comfortable) chair was one I bought in college at a used furniture store for $5. Haven't found one since in the last 50 years that could compare but then that was back at a time when I had my favorite (and most comfortable) body.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:48 AM   #17
gone traveling

I have been sitting in hand-me-down recliners for years, and finally splurged on a really nice, wide, tall back, distressed leather looking rocker/recliner that matches our living room couches. I can't believe how many chairs I tried that had no seat give, or had no apparent head support (low back), or were too narrow for my skinny butt.

I like having my feet on the floor, and being able to rock...with the footstool up, and reclined, I don't stay awake very long.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
+3. At my desk it’s my Aeron, I bought it for work and brought it home when I retired. For watching TV or reading, our eKornes Stressless recliners are our preferred choices. Both expensive, but both built to last a lifetime. My Aeron still looks brand new after 15 years or so.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My favorite chair is my exercise room recliner. I retire there every night to watch tv. I'll never throw it out.
I have to laugh that you have a recliner in your exercise room. I get that rooms can have dual purpose, but it just makes me smile. Maybe I should put one in our exercise room.
Your favorite chair
Old 07-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Your favorite chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I have to laugh that you have a recliner in your exercise room. I get that rooms can have dual purpose, but it just makes me smile. Maybe I should put one in our exercise room.

You should put a recliner in your exercise room. There is no better place to rest between sets than in a recliner.

There is a back story. I always wanted a recliner. DW said if I got a recliner that I’d have to buy 2 and use them to replace the 2 chairs in our family room. No way I was going to buy 2.

As it turned out, DW’s friend separated from her husband and gave me his chair. Since it is black, and our family room is brown, the chair came into my exercise room. Now I sit in the recliner every night watching tv while DW sits in the next room watching her tv. And I finally get to watch whatever I want, and in comfort.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote