Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Love XKCD - and many times don't get the references.
You might really like this site:

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/ind...1206:_Einstein

(I often don't get the references as well. Sometimes I don't get the explanations, either!)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hands down... The Far Side was my favorite!
Old 03-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread got me thinking of the comics I grew up with, starting with the old-timers in the Chicago Trib, like Moon Mullins -- great characters in that one. Smokey Stover, my first exposure to surrealism. And the Teenie Weenies, with the character you could cut out of every panel like a paper doll.

Then came adolescence, Spy vs. Spy. Don Martin's craziness, like Monty Python in a 4-panel strip. Which led to... Robert Crumb's Mr. Natural Annd... Whiteman!

What followed was kind of a letdown. Zippy the Pinhead, of course. Jay Lynch had some amusing stuff in Playboy. The Far Side, yeh, funny.

When it comes to the drawn panel, nobody elevated it to an art form like Robert Crumb.

I confess I've had a couple glasses of wine after a trying evening. But I'm going to the nearest non-Amazon retailer (turned out to be thriftbooks.com) and ordering Crumb's "Book of Genesis." See what you've made me do.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Calvin and Hobbes is my all-time favorite.

I also liked The Far Side and Dilbert.

Until I found out where he actually did work, I was sure that Scott Adams worked somewhere at my megacorp.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Was contemplating a Hägar the Horrible strip this morning.....Hägar relates the story of Sisyphus on a personal basis to Hamlet......Hamlet says he doesn't understand....Hägar replies "You will, you will".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #46
gone traveling

Joe Martin’s “Mr. Boffo” is my favorite... you can see them online...
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

He's now 2 years older than me, and 6 years younger than Mickey Mouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donaldduck.jpg (8.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Zits, Pickles, Cathy, Get Fuzzy were all favorites. Don't see them much now as I don't subscribe to newspaper anymore.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Zits, Pickles, Cathy, Get Fuzzy were all favorites. Don't see them much now as I don't subscribe to newspaper anymore.
Look at the OP which has a link to Go Comics. That has Pickles and perhaps some of your other favorites. So you can see this on a tablet or computer.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just not into comic strips! I don't seek them out, and also don't seek out or read comic books, dress up for Hallowe'en, and so on. These are childhood delights that I enjoyed in my youth, but did not carry into adult life. I know many did, and I admire your ability to retain the joy and innocence of childhood during ones adult years. But that's not me.

OK, OK.... confession time.... I *DO* play video games, especially Animal Crossing which I suppose is one that children might like, since basically you move into a town inhabited by adorable talking animals, and befriend them. So I haven't entirely cast off childhood pastimes. I just don't seek out comic strips, and these days I have no idea where I would even find them.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
These are childhood delights
Actually I've found more truths in comic strips than in newspaper editorials/items.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Actually I've found more truths in comic strips than in newspaper editorials/items.
Like this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pogo.jpg (5.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
IMO that's a pretty low bar to clear, these days!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm just not into comic strips! I don't seek them out, and also don't seek out or read comic books, dress up for Hallowe'en, and so on. These are childhood delights that I enjoyed in my youth, but did not carry into adult life. I know many did, and I admire your ability to retain the joy and innocence of childhood during ones adult years. But that's not me.
Some cartoons are for kids, and some are for adults.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

They change over time. It use to be “Brenda Starr”. Then I grew into “Doonesbury” . Always, always faithful to “Andy Capp”.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IMO that's a pretty low bar to clear, these days!
Sho' Nuff.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

OK, OK.... confession time.... I *DO* play video games, especially Animal Crossing which I suppose is one that children might like, since basically you move into a town inhabited by adorable talking animals, and befriend them. So I haven't entirely cast off childhood pastimes. I just don't seek out comic strips, and these days I have no idea where I would even find them.
I didn't pay attention to comics in my working years. But now I'm looking for all kinds of ways to view the world and one of those is the light side. It's free and IMO beats the ugly news stories we all tend to read.

You don't have to pay a dime for many comics nowadays. Snoopy, for instance, seems to appeal to adults. At least that is true in our town which was Shultz's town too. There are Snoopy sculpture characters all over town.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote