Generation X 1965 -1976 32 14.81%
Younger Boomer 1955 -1964 101 46.76%
Older Boomer 1946 -1954 68 31.48%
Silent 1937 -1945 8 3.70%
GI Generation (before) 1937 1 0.46%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #61
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Oh, yes. A wrist rocket slingshot with steel shot probably packs much more energy than the BB gun your Mom nixed. And with glass marbles. . . I can't believe they still sell them without some sort of waiver/registration/fingerprinting.
Oh - parents didn't know about the steel ball bearings. Those were outsourced. I remember they worked wonders on a hornet's nest.

And I probably did use a few glass marbles.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RE: the wrist slingshot... ummm... yea... I still have and use one. Our campground home is in an oak forest, so there are many many oaks... 14 on my property alone... and so tons of acorns... We also have hundreds of geese that we love, but sometimes they like us so much they congregate on my lawn, and... poop. Enter the slingshot and the acorns, not that it bothers them too much... They become a little aggravated, but being hit by an acorn, thwap!.. is more of an insult, than a "hurt"... I get the evil eye, and some squawks, but it's more of a game for them, and they just go about their business.
.................................................. ...

To finish off the coal burner furnaces:
1st... banking... it simply means putting new coal or coke on top of the fire, so that it will last through the night. as in putting money in the bank for later use.
The picture below, is similar to the furnace that we had in our home. At the top, a water boiler to heat the water that goes into the HW radiators in each room of the house. Below the boiler, the burner... a metal door that opens so coal can be shoveled in. The coal sits on a metal grate with interlocking teeth that are moved back and forth by a handle outside the furnace. (In the picture, the black vertical handle on the left hand side of the door that goes to the lower section). As the fire burns down the ashes drop through the grate into the bottom of the furnace where there is another door where the ash is shoveled out.
The other part of this, that was common then.. was that the cast iron furnace was covered with asbestos paste several inches thick, to insulate and keep the heat inside. That asbestos also covered all of the pipes leading from the boiler and all through the basement. The basement was often covered with asbestos dust from this insulation. The asbestos was in almost all homes, schools and businesses, usually in the basement.
As kids, in grammar school, the bathrooms were in the basement of the building, and the heating pipes (covered with asbestos) ran all across the low ceiling. The game for us boys, was to jump up to touch and scratch off the asbestos from the pipes. who knew

Coal fired asbestos covered, hot water boiler home furnace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coalboiler1.jpg (125.3 KB, 4 views)

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Imoldernu thank you for the education. Makes my parents dislike for coal heat make a lot more sense now. There was a time before they moved away that dad traveled so mom would have to taken care of the furnace. She hated coal, the mining, and the mine fires. Her dad worked in the mines for a while so I imagine his laundy was a treat!

Yes even our new '57 furnace had asbestos sprayed on and around it, who knew.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #64
I was one year old when Dad joined the Navy and went to war (1944). We lived in Pittston, Pennsylvania and Dad was a coal miner like his Dad. I never met either grandfather as they died of black lung before I was born. Dad went to the South Pacific to fight the Japanese and I lived with Mom and Grandma in Pittston until he came back from the war.

Grandma's house was all of 1,000 square feet and a "mine house" (owned by the coal company). Heated with coal and no inside bathroom. We had an outhouse in the back yard and raised chickens for food. I spoke Lithuanian only as that was our heritage and Dad being away, I leaned from Mom and Grandma as that was all they spoke, I was three when Dad returned. We moved to Connecticut after the war so Dad could find work as the mines were closed.

Even as a toddler, I remember the ashes being spread in the street and the warmth of homemade quilts that were piled on top of me as the furnace was really the kitchen stove (I imagine the furnace in the basement was shot and no grown men were around to fix it).

Boy, do we have it good now.
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #65
Interesting about the use of coal, I never saw any of that up close. My paternal grandparent's house was originally heated with coal but had been converted to oil by the time I arrived.

But I do remember Aunt Nettie's (paternal grandmother's sister) attachment to her coal stove, a huge and ornate thing that dominated her kitchen. I've never seen anything like it before or since and we all remember enjoying whatever she cooked on it. Her kids had taken up a collection and bought her an electric stove that she hated - made them take it out and bring back her coal stove.

She was memorable for another reason too. Aunt Nettie cussed like the proverbial sailor and it was the first time that I'd ever heard a female of any age cuss, or in some cases the first time I'd heard those words from anyone. I didn't know women were allowed to do that.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #66
gone traveling
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Grew up in Chicago, and one of the first "complicated" things I remember reading was the envelope in the mail that said: "People's gas, light and coke company".

Me: "Mom, why do we get Coke with our gas bill?"
Mom: "Let me tell you what coke is..."
I've heard that coke is still quite popular in Chicago. And I'd bet some gas company guys deliver it on the side.

Texconsin is offline   Reply With Quote