Join Early Retirement Today

Your morning routine in retirement ...did it change?
Old 04-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your morning routine in retirement ...did it change?

5:30AM I could pretend I didn’t hear the old pooch but who would I be pretending to? The Mrs and I have an unspoken understanding that the first and last walk are mine (usually).

I heard Dusty get up, go into the hall and sit at the top of the stairs (instinct has her liking height so she can survey the landscape for prey - although hers is limited to a meaty bone treat). I heard the chain when she shook her head a couple of times. Then alias I heard her go down the stairs. I know the routine - a stop at the water bowl and then “the scratch”. The front double doors are steel and and when Dusty’s recently trimmed nails hit that door it makes an unmistakable sound. I got up, started the coffee, found the leash at its spot and opened the door. Amazing that the upper 40s can feel warm and it can be a little light at 5:30AM. I actually found it nice out. There was a time when I’d walk her without a chain but her obstinacy in old age and the fox family under the neighbors shed has cost her freedom on the walk.

I’m working from home today and I’ve got tomorrow off. It will be a leisurely day because I’ve got a of couple coding projects that will eat up the hours. As much as I am enjoying my reduced schedule I am tinking I will adapt well to retirement. I’ve been sneaking home odds and ends I have in my desk. Ill attend the meetings and play it cool.

Will I still be a morning person? Will I get out for that needed exercise? I am wondering how things will change
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't set my alarm. It's bliss. I always feel a bit disgruntled now when I have to set my alarm because of something scheduled early in the AM. This time of year the sun wakes me up earlier than I'd like, but I can always use eyeshades or take a nap later if I need it. Occasionally I wake at something crazy like 4 AM and decide to get up anyway. Again, I can always nap later.

Coffee. Gotta have coffee. Morning weigh-in followed by gloating or despair after consulting the updated Weight History graphs on my smartphone app. Light breakfast followed by surfing the Internet. No pets to walk. I have a housecleaning routine that takes about an hour 3 days a week.

I get to the gym nearly every day. I need it for my mind AND my body. I'm in better shape than I was before I retired.

The key, for me, is having plenty of things to do, but not much on a fixed schedule. Right now I'm working on a couple of seminary classes- writing 2 papers for one and plowing through the on-line class material in preparation for another. I have a feeling I'll feel lost when I'm done with the second one and won't have any more until September.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Things will change. But you'll still be a morning person. Make sure you do your exercise first, or the fun of the retiree's day will consume you. It will be 5 pm before you know it.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Things will change. But you'll still be a morning person. Make sure you do your exercise first, or the fun of the retiree's day will consume you. It will be 5 pm before you know it.
+1, good advice, I exercise in the morning too. I don’t set my alarm, and I wake up between 5-6am seven days a week - even though I retired almost seven years ago, and we don’t have a dog at present. But everything else about my day has changed.

I had a golf league meeting at 8am yesterday, felt strange to HAVE to get up, shower & shave, and be somewhere...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

I think you will still be a morning person. I only set an alarm if I have to fly or for my grandkids. But I still wake up fairly early, the difference is I stay in bed as long as I want and then I always leave time for coffee hour. Like someone said earlier - Bliss!!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

I still wake up around the same time every morning as when I was working, but now I do it because I want to, not because I have to.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I was a morning person and still am. I used to get up at 5:15am to arrive at the office by 6:15am. I still wake up around 6:30am and can sometimes take an afternoon nap if necessary.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm a morning person too. I'm usually up at 2 or 3 am before I go to bed. I used to get up at 7 to deal with the dogs, but they've learned to sleep in until 9 or so just fine. Old dogs can learn new schedules just fine.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #9

If I wanted a routine I'd get a j*b.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:20 AM   #10

I was a morning person and morning is still the time I like the most. But getting going is harder. We recently moved and made connections with a bicycling group. It started many years ago when all the participants were working. So they meet at 7AM. Most are now retired but they still meet at 7AM.

Setting a time to get up and getting moving to attend this coffee group is really difficult. It is about 45 minutes later than I got going during my working life. I do not see the group changing the start time since there are still working members. But, I sure wish it started closer to 8:30. For me, mornings are nice but hard to get going.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #11

18 months into retirement and my internal alarm clock still wakes me around 4:30-ish A.M. That is, however, my favorite time of day. The gym opens at 5 a.m. and I much prefer working out early. During my days of wage slavery, getting that workout in before heading off to the salt mine provided me with a sense of well-being and accomplishment that even the *best day ever* at the office could.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #12

You mean like sitting down every morning and leisurely reading the dailies and talking with the MRS versus shower/breakfast and out the door in 30 minutes?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #13

I don’t think I was ever a morning person. I got up and went to work as needed but mornings always were tough. No that I’m retired, my schedule is a lot different. I’m generally up until past midnight, usually 1am to 2am and I haven’t been getting up until after 9am. This was fine at first, because it was winter. Now that the sun is out earlier and it’s getting warm, I feel I’m missing too much of a good thing, the morning. Not sure how I’m going to get myself adjusted, but I think I should set a limit of 8am for getting up in the morning.

To rayinpenn, given that you have a dog, I doubt your routine will change much. You might throw in a nap from time to time, but the dog will keep you on track.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #14

I try to not get up early but that doesn't always work. Most mornings once I realize who/where I am I smile and roll over for another snooze.
One of the most rewarding things though is I've found that I don't need to quit a project at any specific time in the afternoon. Occasionally I've found myself working late into the night on a project in the garage. And no feelings of guilt or worry about waking up at a specific time to get going.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Ironically, I wasn't a morning person until I retired. When still w*rking, I would set the alarm about an hour before I had to get up and hit the snooze button half a dozen times. For the first month or so after retiring, I did sleep in but that soon stopped and I have been getting up between 7 and 8 since then (without an alarm, of course). I think it's because I actually get great sleep now...whereas when w*rking, it wasn't good quality.

These days, the mornings are my favorite time of the day. I can watch the morning rush on TV (and always with a grin on my face) and enjoy my coffee at my leisure. I did have somewhat of a schedule while going back to school, but now that I have finished that...my schedule is pretty much free, all day, every day. And that is a great thing!!!

Speaking of coffee...my Cuisinart coffee maker finally died. I wanted the same model and the price was right on Amazon. I wasn't sure I could wait two days for the new one, but the same model is $26 MORE at Wal-Mart...so I am waiting. It should be here today...and I couldn't be happier!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Today is a rare alarm day. I've got an appointment in 2.5 hours and it's an hour drive. Normally the two dogs will expect to be up by 8 AM, they like to sleep in.

We have two cups of coffee and hang out. The day doesn't generally start till 11 AM.

Sure beats a 6 am alarm to go sit in traffic.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have a variety of morning routines (I guess you can't call it a "routine," huh?), but thankfully none of them include hauling my sorry ass to a LIRR train to go into Manhattan on the way to work.

The biggest variable in my morning routine is if my ladyfriend is with me overnight, or if I am at her place. She still works full-time, so if she gets up early (around 6 AM, most of the time), I am up early, too. Sometimes, I drive her to work, a 5-minute drive, so I am back home by 7:15 AM and can go back to sleep if I want to, or remain awake. If I don't have to drive her, I can and usually do go back to sleep. (Today, she was going out of town and we had to get up at 5:30 AM so I could drive her to LaGuardia Airport for an 8 AM flight. Around here, even on the road at 6-6:30 AM there is still a LOT of traffic! Good thing I know some back road shortcuts.)

If we are apart, then I get up when I want to, or if a nature call forces me up. I am usually up by 8 AM, not much later than the end of my working days, but not having to race around to catch a train makes ALL the difference. I don't usually make breakfast until 9 AM.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
The key, for me, is having plenty of things to do, but not much on a fixed schedule.
+1
Old 04-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #19

The first year or two, I stayed up late (past midnight) and got up late (8:30-9:00) frequently when I didn't have a reason to be up early, although I did (and do) still start my morning by throwing on old clothes and sneakers for a 2-mile walk around the neighborhood. (I started doing this back in 2001, but it was at 5:45 am back in the w*rking days.)

I finally decided that I wanted to be up by 8 most days so I just started going to bed earlier and my system adjusted quickly. About 2.5 years ago we added a little dog to our family, and he is generally raring to go before 7:30, so that's now my routine. After a walk and breakfast for both of us, he joins me in my favorite chair while I finish my coffee and read or play iPhone games before we get on with the rest of the day.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

No alarm for us...I typically wake up around 5:30. I dislike gyms, so during the spring, summer, and fall I am out with the birds, garden, and forest. I mow, prepare the ground for planting, etc. I work up a sweat for about 45 mins. to 1 hour...until I am sweaty and tired. Then, I can do whatever I want for the rest of the day. I love that morning time, and it is a real treat doing exercise that I like.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote