Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #21
gone traveling

?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
?
Does this mean you need help coming up with some suggestions for your most annoying foible?

j/k

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #23

Zero patience with stupid people.

"Stupid" is anyone dumber than me.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Does this mean you need help coming up with some suggestions for your most annoying foible?

j/k
Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I talk to myself, the dog and the bird. So the spouse wouldn't necessarily know if I was talking to him.

Note that we are talking foibles, not faults, which I am not going to touch!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I come across as a "know it all" because I am far too blunt and can remember everything I have ever read and I can come across as a "nag" because I am constantly evaluating situations and offering better solutions. Hubby and friends refuse to believe I am these things but people I rub wrong have no problem telling them I am these things (which usually results in said people being cast into outer darkness by my friends and hubby, they are loyal to a fault).

Unfortunately, since I lack tact and have no intention of being anything but myself and honest, I have absolutely no hope of a cure. Occasionally I try to be "tactful" and its always more work than its worth. People's inability to accept reality always makes me want to just avoid people. I think I was meant to be alone (hubby is the only exception and since he is less of a social butterfly than me, he doesn't mind avoiding people).

So basically my most annoying foible is being myself.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoineag View Post
I come across as a "know it all" because I am far too blunt and can remember everything I have ever read and I can come across as a "nag" because I am constantly evaluating situations and offering better solutions. Hubby and friends refuse to believe I am these things but people I rub wrong have no problem telling them I am these things (which usually results in said people being cast into outer darkness by my friends and hubby, they are loyal to a fault).

Unfortunately, since I lack tact and have no intention of being anything but myself and honest, I have absolutely no hope of a cure. Occasionally I try to be "tactful" and its always more work than its worth. .....
Excellent E-R moderator material..
Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Unfortunately, since I lack tact and have no intention of being anything but myself and honest, I have absolutely no hope of a cure. Occasionally I try to be "tactful" and its always more work than its worth. People's inability to accept reality always makes me want to just avoid people. I think I was meant to be alone (hubby is the only exception and since he is less of a social butterfly than me, he doesn't mind avoiding people).

WooooooHoooooooooo

Are we twins separated at birth?
I've learned some tact over the years but it is an ongoing struggle. So I just say nothing in person. That's when people know I'm being "tactful".
Old 08-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good one, Janet H! Funny!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #30

"Foible - a minor flaw or shortcoming in character or behavior"

I'm not sure how to respond. Some former co-w*rkers called me a perfectionist, and something about the way they said it made it sound like they thought that it was a bad thing.

They also managed to infect my wife with their way of thinking. The woman has been known to refer to me as "Jesus" every now and again.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #31

Quote:

Wow, that could be in my job description. Whoa! Another twin here! I mean down to the penny that is a good description of me! Especially the "remember everything I read", "evaluating and offering solutions" and "nag" part!

Yep, birds of a feather! And yeah, Janet's sure got that right!

And I've heard of this "tact" thing--I think that is what DH means when he says my presentation sucks.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And I've heard of this "tact" thing--I think that is what DH means when he says my presentation sucks.

Here's an example of the "new" Freebird...last night, I went out to spaghetti dinner at a private family boat club I belong to.
Lo and behold, there was a group of 6 women who still w*rk where I escaped from used to suffer w*rk. 2 of the 6 are what I refer to as "power witches", step on your face to get ahead types. Gossips to the max.
In the old days, I might have gone over and gushed about how wonderful retirement was yadda yadda yadda.
Instead, I waved from 40 feet away and gave them my most charming smile . I did not approach the table to say hello to the 4 whom I always liked. I'll catch them another time.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

1) No tolerance for stupidity, rudeness, arrogance, drama or BS. Hence I like to limit contacts with other people in general and stay home when I can. Because of my introversion (or lack of social skills as some would say), I am often seen as guarded, reserved, mysterious, quiet, aloof and sometimes disdainful.

2) I can be uptight on certain occasions though I think that I am mellowing with age...

No it's not as bad as it sounds, I have redeeming qualities it seems. After all, DW is still hanging onto me or perhaps she hasn't found a good divorce lawyer yet.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I had to ask DW. Her response: "Thinking you know everything."
Wow, honey is that you?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Buns, that was funny.........I, myself, of course have no faults......:>)
Old 08-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I guess my most annoying foibles might be asking about the definition of "buy and hold", and questioning market efficiency and rationality. Other than that, I am a really nice guy...
Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #37

Im still thinking on mine..Ill get back to this thread later
Old 08-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

What's a . ?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I like disco.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I like disco.

Every time I think about disco this song comes in my head.