Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Would love to take some laps at the Ring in a ZR1 vette or GT3 Porsche.
Ride/Drive a NASCAR Race Car - NASCAR Racing Experience

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
That's a good option. Here's another Drive REAL Supercars on REAL Racetracks - Xtreme XperienceXtreme Xperience | Drive exotic super cars on real racetracks across the US . My brother and his DW got these for each other as gifts and were thrilled.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a plane, and then got my pilots license.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That's a good option. Here's another Drive REAL Supercars on REAL Racetracks - Xtreme XperienceXtreme Xperience | Drive exotic super cars on real racetracks across the US . My brother and his DW got these for each other as gifts and were thrilled.
Yes, I'm sure that would be fun for most folks. I previously had a few cars that were essentially street driven racecars. One a corvette and the other a Porsche. Also, was one of the original members of Motorsport Ranch, south of Ft Worth. Unfortunately, those mid-life crisis days are over, and now I tool around in a Civic
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Guess I've done enough scary stuff for one life time including, but not limited to a balloon crash and a forced landing in a single engine plane (described elsewhere). But, I'm sort of with W2R but perhaps from a different angle. I always HAD a home. In fact, have lived in the old "home stead" perhaps 10 different times since my birth (always coming back - university days, first married days, before kids, after raising kids, summer vacations from Hawaii, etc.). What was on my bucket list, though, was to move to the Islands and establish my home there. That I have now done. Don't know how "outrageous" that is, but after spending most of my life on the prairies of the midwest, It seemed sort of outrageous at the time. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

Deep sea fishing off of Marathon key with FIL/DF. We caught a few fish, the catch of the day was 9 Cuban refugees, 22 miles off shore. I've never seen such happy people. Their engine had died, no food, 1 liter of water they were saving for a 3 year old. Coast Gaurd told us they would probably have hit land in Iceland, in a couple months. At that time they got a free pass into the US. Often wondered where they are today. The refugees really did the outrageous thing, we just got to watch.

MRG
This may be the coolest thing I've read in this forum! What a wonderful memory to have, MRG. You are so blessed (by blessing others).

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Build my own house. No matter how small, it's something I've always wanted to do. Since building tree-forts as a kid, to taking library construction books home for the last 40 years, it's always been a dream.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Dang, that was mine!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Dang, that was mine!

Quote:
Nor have I been able to get a ride in a current day fighter plane at low altitude or any altitude for that matter.

....but at least I got to do it for six years with most of the time spent at 500'

check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
....but at least I got to do it for six years with most of the time spent at 500'

I knew you looked familiar...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Refuel.jpg (18.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:

Nice, since I wanted to fly, after college I tried to join the Navy to be a navigator, but couldn't get past the color blindness and depth perception tests. They offered me a direct commission as a Lt in the Seabee's since I was an engineer. I prompty said "no thanks". That was several years after my stint in the USAF during late 60s.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Right on!
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I made it to 187 mph (300 kph) land speed without even trying - that was pretty good!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here you go: Usfra home page although for 57 MPH, you can probably find someplace closer to home
She wrote back to me promptly, very nice lady. Unfortunately our timing is all wrong, it will be too wet in May to do a speed test. Maybe we'll make it back there in the summer sometime. Thanks for the help, though!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hey, I made it to 187 mph (300 kph) land speed without even trying - that was pretty good!
This sounds like a very interesting story, would you mind sharing more details please... sorry if I missed an earlier post.
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

You flew Recce's at Bergstrom AFB, with the 67th? What years? I was a weapons technician
there with the 924th Wing (AFRES/AFRC) between 1981 & 1996. I worked F-4D, F-4E & F-16's. I got a backseat ride in a D model F-4 once, it was great! I loved the Austin area & really didn't want to leave, but the base & my unit got BRAC'd & I had to relocate.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Retiring to Hawaii at 40.
Flying to Oshkosh, (during the annual airshow it is the busiest airport in the world).
I am only one state short of going to all 50. I just can't get enthused about Mississippi.

Top of my bucket list
Is flying in space.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I dunno, bucket list seems so morbid. After 20 years of dealing with life actuaries, I have had enough morbid.

I purposely did not set any stretch goals early in ESR. I figure quitting my job at age 40 was good enough. The most exotic thing I can come up with at the moment is to go hog hunting for wild boar. The are not where I am (although I understand the nasty buggers are now in southeast CO, ugh), and I think it would be a challenge. And then there is elk hunting, but that will require the right tag and a guide.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #58

Outrageous... not sure but, reached reasonable FI via rentals a few years ago in the Midwest.

Moved to CA last year, higher cost of living to experience more life and higher technology job for OMJ (one more job) syndrome.

Seriously looking at buying a 2014 Corvette Stingray, close to pulling the trigger =) Not sure if this is a midlife issue turning 45 this year, but always wanted one when I was younger and I think I'll enjoy it. Dealers are asking over MSRP, so frugal self is waiting.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Was that in France on the TGV or Channel Tunnel. They do that every day. Now once you get to England things slow down greatly. (They don't have a dedicated track like the French have built).
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Reaching FIRE in my 30s has been my most "outrageous" accomplishment so far.

My next "outrageous" goal is to buy a piece of property in California.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote