Weight or health related 26 44.83%
Finance related 9 15.52%
Creative skill related 3 5.17%
Relationship related 3 5.17%
Other 17 29.31%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been carrying an extra 15lbs since my surgery in June, I want it gone and I want to get back to my normal exercise routine.
Decluttering has been an on going project since Nov, the trick for me is to keep what I've decluttered uncluttered.

Those are the two biggest things I want to tackle in 2008, there are more but if I make a large list it will demotivate me and I'll do nothing.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
P.S. - Health, Wealth and Happiness!

My guest blond from Alabama(formerly 36 yrs in New Orleans) is cooking for a few of us exiles.

Translation: Cabbage, pork and black eyed peas with a penny in them.

Fried cabbage with black pepper(not cayenne), marinated pork chops( have done pork roast in the Past) and peas/jalapeno pepper(some use bacon bits or ham or snaps) with perhaps some dashes of LSU Tiger Sauce for zip.

heh heh heh - live to eat not eat to live.
That's about the same here for New Year's Day......a hunk of ham hock and black-eyed peas with some jalapeņos .......and corn bread, of course! An old family tradition (about the only one we still have) that dates back a hundred years or more!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:13 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

RE-may 23rd
Travel, Italy, Central America, US National Parks...
Relax
Old 12-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Found this New Year's Resolution for 2004. Perhaps that poster would like to update us on how it went?

Quote:
- Lose about 30lbs. In my old "work life" I was always running around and missed a lot of meals, while in my new "fart around life" I've become a very good cook and heavily sample my own wares. I'm currently in the 10th trimester with a "food baby". Fortunately I love to rollerblade and my new digs are a few blocks from a paved bike path. My old house was in a VERY hilly area and I like my bones unbroken. Now to get back into it. I'll also have to break out my kayak and try out the local (slow moving) river. If anyone hasnt tried kayaking and you have a lake, pond or slow moving river nearby, do it. A cheapo model with a good paddle costs under $200. If you find those too heavy, I've seen people in their 70's and 80's paddling around in the extra heavy duty inflatable ones. Dont worry about tipping, i've tipped over once and I was fiddling around when I did it, so it was self induced. Great upper body exercise.

- Walk my dogs more. I used to do this a lot, but in my new neighborhood many of the neighbors have decided that the leash laws dont apply to them and leave their fido's to run loose. While its certainly an adrenaline rush, having two huge dogs run at you and your two leashed dogs full tilt and not knowing their intentions isnt my idea of a good time. I'll need to find a good place to take them. Its good exercise for both of us.

- Get my big fat lump of cash fully invested.

- Simplify my life further. I bought a fun little book called...guess what..."simplify your life". Highly recommended for us ER folks. Some of it is over the top, but its a good little read. I need to lose one of my two cars. I still have way too much junk I use once or twice a year. I dont need two sets of golf clubs.

- Watch TV less. I bought a damn Tivo a couple of years ago and it turned me into a tv watcher. Before I couldnt be bothered to structure my life to get in front of a tv at the time the network started a show, and when a commecial came on I sometimes wandered off and never returned. Tivo changed that, it now dutifully records dozens of tv shows for me every day. The good side of it is that I used to have Directv with every channel at about $80 a month, just so that when I sat down there'd be "something on". With the tivo all I need is just basic cable, and if I could get good antenna reception, that'd be enough "source material" for the tivo to fill up with stuff thats worth watching. But where I used to be a "movie a night" and weekend sports watcher, I now watch way too many regular tv shows. I need to substitute more reading, more dog walks, and more kayaking and rollerblading.

- My girlfriend on looking over my shoulder at this just told me I need to kiss her more often. No problem with that. I didnt even wait until new years.

Thats probably enough for this year.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:24 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

SAME as last year ~

* Lose a few pounds (as I sit here stuffin' my face with double dipped chocolate covered peanuts....oh yeah, that's gonna happen!)

* Learn a 2nd language...Spanglish maybe?....it'd be nice to be able to converse with the guys that keep my yard lookin' nice!.....other than by pointin', guesses and gestures!!

That's it....anything more and I'd be overwhelmed!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #26

My New Year's resolution is to make no resolutions.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #27

I never make NY resolutions, however I have decided that I am going to learn to surf in 2008. I've never tried it before, but what the hell, why not give it a go. What attracts me to surfing is surfers seem to be such a satisfied, happy bunch.

It's too cold to go in the ocean here in Southern Ca. so I have the first trip to Hawaii booked for President's Day weekend.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Found this New Year's Resolution for 2004. Perhaps that poster would like to update us on how it went?

Too funny! I guessed right.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Here's your update:
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #30

DW and I both turn 65 this year.

My New Year's resolution is to turn 66 in the same healthy condition as now, financially, physically, and mentally.

Life is good. Happy New Year to everyone!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

No real resolutions, but I stopped eating 1.75 quarts/week of ice cream a few weeks ago and maybe we'll see the results in a few months. (Or maybe I'll pick up the slack elsewhere.) At least my triggers are no longer stress, beer, chocolate, and ice cream-- but rather the smells of good food along with friends & good conversation.

Tae kwon do black belt test in Jan 2009. Qualifications require 100 situps in two minutes, 100 pushups in two minutes, and a two-mile run in around 15-16 minutes (not sure). Our kid's going through the process for her own test (in about four weeks) so I know what I have to do.

It'd be good to realign my life to finish the book in 2008, but life keeps intruding. My fault, and this is more about learning to set priorities than about fixing anything.

I've spent five years surfing pretty much the same south break. That's not a problem and it's never boring, but it'd be good to have a west break and a north break too as conditions & seasons change. I have a few candidates to check out, but that would take away time from surfing the south break. Apparently it's not such an issue after all.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
To be more organized, to the point where many things are automatic or take little effort to maintain.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

To not get sucked into reading / responding to political threads.

That ignore feature really helps.

I can't hear you..............
Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'm going to try things I've always wanted to do .I'm starting with pottery ... and yoga. ...
Uh oh, pottery and yoga were on my "try out" list for '07. Neither one ended well.

I decided to take a pottery class to prove to myself that my disasterous previous try (in college some 30+ years ago) was due to youth (me) and poor training (the teacher). This time, I signed up with a noted local potter (first mistake...her definition of "some past experience" was waaayy different than mine.) I quickly discovered that having the beginning signs of osteoarthritis in my fingers, especially my thumb, is not particularly compatible with working with cold, wet clay.

OK, remind self to take Tylenol Arthritis Formula before class.

Next, that pottery wheel was a lot more glamorous when Demi Moore was forming pots in Ghost. No matter how careful I was, I couldn't get the clay centered on the wheel and I ended up wearing a lot more of the clay than anyone else in the class...and let me tell you, cold water washing doesn't do such a good job getting clay out. Note: tan/khaki pants and shirts are about the same color as clay...if you don't mind looking like a municipal meter reader who fell in the mud, you're all set.

Finally got the #$%? clay centered on the stupid wheel...my aching fingers tried to form the clay into a simple pot. Here's the hard part: you gotta keep the wheel turning, the clay centered and wet and now you have to move your fingers evenly up the sides to form the walls of the pot. FWIW, don't stare at the wheel...you can get really dizzy watching this lump of crap go round and round. Lost my concentration...the wall of the pot separated from the base, flew off the wheel and landed at the feet of the noted local potter who subsequently suggested that perhaps I would be better suited for slab work. For the record, I wasn't.

Next stop, yoga. This worked out better, but the aforementioned arthritis is also in the back and hips. The instructor was very kind in helping me with "alternate" poses and movements, but I think my main mistake was in taking the class right after dinner. Yoga plus acid reflux? Well, it's just not a pretty picture.

'08 resolutions? Find other creative outlets more suitable for a middle age woman with arthritis and GURD.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Not to lose money. Low expectations I know.
It didn't take long to break my New Year's resolution.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:57 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Do more fishing ...

Old 01-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It didn't take long to break my New Year's resolution.
What happened?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
What happened?

Well if you own any stocks, you have lost money. Mine was not to lose money. Oh well, mine should have been to lose 5lbs. That would have been more realistic.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Well if you own any stocks, you have lost money. Mine was not to lose money. Oh well, mine should have been to lose 5lbs. That would have been more realistic.
Don't sell them, and don't look at the market reports. Then you haven't lost anything!

Besides, you know how that goes. Your investments could be back up to where they were in a few weeks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dawg, remember that being in the market is just like riding a roller coaster. Most of the fun happens on the way down!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote