View Poll Results: My Primary New Year's Resolution is
Weight or health related 26 44.83%
Finance related 9 15.52%
Creative skill related 3 5.17%
Relationship related 3 5.17%
Other 17 29.31%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Uh oh, pottery and yoga were on my "try out" list for '07. Neither one ended well.

I decided to take a pottery class to prove to myself that my disasterous previous try (in college some 30+ years ago) was due to youth (me) and poor training (the teacher). This time, I signed up with a noted local potter (first mistake...her definition of "some past experience" was waaayy different than mine.) I quickly discovered that having the beginning signs of osteoarthritis in my fingers, especially my thumb, is not particularly compatible with working with cold, wet clay.

OK, remind self to take Tylenol Arthritis Formula before class.

Next, that pottery wheel was a lot more glamorous when Demi Moore was forming pots in Ghost. No matter how careful I was, I couldn't get the clay centered on the wheel and I ended up wearing a lot more of the clay than anyone else in the class...and let me tell you, cold water washing doesn't do such a good job getting clay out. Note: tan/khaki pants and shirts are about the same color as clay...if you don't mind looking like a municipal meter reader who fell in the mud, you're all set.

Finally got the #$%? clay centered on the stupid aching fingers tried to form the clay into a simple pot. Here's the hard part: you gotta keep the wheel turning, the clay centered and wet and now you have to move your fingers evenly up the sides to form the walls of the pot. FWIW, don't stare at the can get really dizzy watching this lump of crap go round and round. Lost my concentration...the wall of the pot separated from the base, flew off the wheel and landed at the feet of the noted local potter who subsequently suggested that perhaps I would be better suited for slab work. For the record, I wasn't.

Next stop, yoga. This worked out better, but the aforementioned arthritis is also in the back and hips. The instructor was very kind in helping me with "alternate" poses and movements, but I think my main mistake was in taking the class right after dinner. Yoga plus acid reflux? Well, it's just not a pretty picture.

'08 resolutions? Find other creative outlets more suitable for a middle age woman with arthritis and GURD.

Thanks for a good laugh this morning .Maybe I'll start with beading .

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
1. go to bed by 11 (batting 0/365 so far);
2. buy less food and use it us before it spoils;
3. finally asset allocate the sum of cash sitting around;
4. get hair cut regularly and maybe start wearing make-up

Live A Life That Matters

P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
Attend a David Allen Coe Concert.

War is a poor chisel to carve out tomorrow. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Dawg, remember that being in the market is just like riding a roller coaster. Most of the fun happens on the way down!
Maybe I need to learn how to short the market. Then i would enjoy the ride down.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote