Join Early Retirement Today

"Your office chair is killing you"
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

"Your office chair is killing you"

Another reason to ER ASAP!

Your Office Chair Is Killing You - BusinessWeek
Quote:
If you're reading this article sitting down—the position we all hold more than any other, for an average of 8.9 hours a day—stop and take stock of how your body feels. Is there an ache in your lower back? A light numbness in your rear and lower thigh? Are you feeling a little down?

These symptoms are all normal, and they're not good. They may well be caused by doing precisely what you're doing—sitting. New research in the diverse fields of epidemiology, molecular biology, biomechanics, and physiology is converging toward a startling conclusion: Sitting is a public-health risk. And exercising doesn't offset it. "People need to understand that the qualitative mechanisms of sitting are completely different from walking or exercising," says University of Missouri microbiologist Marc Hamilton. "Sitting too much is not the same as exercising too little. They do completely different things to the body."
The best sitting alternative is perching—a half-standing position at barstool height that keeps weight on the legs and leaves the S-curve intact. Chair alternatives include the Swopper, a hybrid stool seat and the funky, high HAG Capisco chair. Standing desks and chaise longues are good options. Ball chairs, which bounce your spine into a C-shape, are not. The biggest obstacle to healthy sitting may be ourselves. Says Jackie Maze, the vice-president for marketing at Keilhauer: "Most customers still want chairs that look like chairs."

Recently Levine talked to Best Buy (BBY), Wal-Mart (WMT), and Salo accounting about letting him design their offices and keep people walking and working as much as possible. Levine jerry-rigged an old 1- to 2-mph treadmill to stand under a desk and put a handful of them in conference rooms. Those who wanted could have walking desks in their offices, and he partnered with Steelcase to manufacture a $4,500 version of the machine. "Within two weeks, people basically get addicted to walking and working," says Levine. "You just need to give them the chance."
I wonder if a "walking desk" would really catch on in the workplace. I know how my knees feel when I'm standing on them all day, but then perhaps you have to build up your walking muscles gradually.

If I had a treadmill at my computer desk then I'd feel obligated to connect it to a small DC generator and a photovoltaic AC micro-inverter. Of course I'd have to keep this design a secret from employers, who might be tempted to use their "power" to defray utility bills. Hmmm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workplace treadmill.jpg (18.9 KB, 1 views)
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I wonder if a "walking desk" would really catch on in the workplace. I know how my knees feel when I'm standing on them all day, but then perhaps you have to build up your walking muscles gradually.

If I had a treadmill at my computer desk then I'd feel obligated to connect it to a small DC generator and a photovoltaic AC micro-inverter. Of course I'd have to keep this design a secret from employers, who might be tempted to use their "power" to defray utility bills. Hmmm...
I used to have a desk that raised up so I could work while standing - fairly common in our offices. We have a friend at the YMCA whose husband has a bad back and a few weeks ago when I asked how he was doing our friend told us he had been issued with a walking desk and loved it.