Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Your Retirement Robbed Jesus. You Shall Be Cursed!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 62
Your Retirement Robbed Jesus. You Shall Be Cursed!

This not a religious thread and not intended to debate tithing. Itís too exhausting and controversial.

Anyway, a friend said she was looking to buy life insurance for herself because she wanted to provide for her son. She asked me who I was with and I told her I did not have life insurance and we were fine without it..

She just went completely off on me. She said the only reason I was able to retire well is because I have never tithed. She said that I have robbed Jesus and that I would be cursed. I said, ďSay what? Excuse me?Ē She went on and on and said some hurtful things. We have been friends for over 25 years and I thought she loved me and wished me well. I finally just quietly hung up.

No, I donít tithe but I give to charities and help many people, and especially her and family. She has acted differently towards me lately. It seems everything I say to her rubs her the wrong way. In all the years Iíve known her, she has never spoken to me with such disrespect and almost hate. Iíve been letting this slide as she has been having a really hard time with family death and unbelievable sickness in her family and cries at the drop of a hat and I don't want to upset her.


I have not given her any money in over six months regardless of anything in an attempt to send her a message. If she insists on taking care of her grown son who is perfectly capable of working and her grandkids who have parents, donít look to me to help support them. She would be fine in her retirement if she would use it to only take care of herself. By what she says, I get the impression that her family is feeling the same and she is just beside herself.

I hate to lose a good friend. She sounds and says sheís sorry on her voice mails. The way Iím feeling right now, Iím thinking I should sever this friendship but I donít want to be hasty. I know myself; once a person has shown me who they are, I believe them. I walk away and never look back. Yet, I know this would leave a void in my life. What would you do? Right now Iím feeling hurt and angry because I know I've done so much for her. I donít expect her to bend down and kiss my foot but I think I deserve better.
__________________

__________________
Co2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 354
I'd at least give her the chance to honestly tell her what she is going through/what she is thinking. it sounds like she is under a lot of stress and doesn't know how to cope with it, so she's lashing out in strange ways. Saying you robbed Jesus is just bizarre, but it sounds is basically code for "I'm jealous of your life, and I need to believe you got where you are by cheating somehow. I've played by the rules and my life sucks and what I really want to say is I hate God for being so unfair but instead I'm going to lash out at you because that is easier than really saying what I feel."

I think a long friendship is worth trying to save, but if she continues with this pattern it will not be healthy for either of you so maybe best to walk away. But I would try to give her the chance to explain/apologize -- with a focus on being compassionate to her, and because maybe it will help her work through some of this stuff, not because you deserve an apology. This isn't about who is right.
__________________

__________________
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,428
Sounds to me like you need a time out from her. I would discontinue contact for a period of time and then reconnect.

It sounds like she is troubled, has some self-doubt and regret and is just taking it out on whoever is nearby. Give her a little space for a while. You are not her keeper.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,823
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't follow how a conversation about your decision not to have life insurance led to a complaint about your lack of tithing.

Isn't tithing just a form of charitable donation, no different than any other type of donation you may wish to make? And whether you donate money while you are living, or leave it to charitable causes after you're gone, doesn't seem to make much difference to me.

If you have reached financial independence, are able to retire earlier than others, and you are not a burden to others or to society, I would think Jesus would think that's pretty good! So I don't know why she feels it appropriate to judge you.

But, as others have said, it probably has nothing to do with tithing, and she is probably dealing with some difficult issues. This isn't about you. Whether you want to invest the time into helping is your call.
__________________
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,018
ISTM that this is jealousy expressed as religious fanaticism by someone who does not wish to take responsibility for her own financial wellbeing. Is this really the type of friend you want to cultivate?
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
I'd at least give her the chance to honestly tell her what she is going through/what she is thinking. it sounds like she is under a lot of stress and doesn't know how to cope with it, so she's lashing out in strange ways. Saying you robbed Jesus is just bizarre, but it sounds is basically code for "I'm jealous of your life, and I need to believe you got where you are by cheating somehow. I've played by the rules and my life sucks and what I really want to say is I hate God for being so unfair but instead I'm going to lash out at you because that is easier than really saying what I feel."

I think a long friendship is worth trying to save, but if she continues with this pattern it will not be healthy for either of you so maybe best to walk away. But I would try to give her the chance to explain/apologize -- with a focus on being compassionate to her, and because maybe it will help her work through some of this stuff, not because you deserve an apology. This isn't about who is right.
I know without a doubt she is under a lot of stress which is why I have put up with so much shocking rudeness within the past few months. She has explained and apologized on each occasion and then turn around and do something else hurtful.

Her family and friends do not hesitate to tell her what is what and she calls me crying about what they did and said to her, wanting me to make her feel better. I always try to appease her. I think that's the problem. I think it makes her feel that she has some type of power to be able to tell someone off and not get it back in return. I understand, I do. But I do have feelings. And it makes me feel funny her thinking she can talk to me any kind of way.
__________________
Co2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't follow how a conversation about your decision not to have life insurance led to a complaint about your lack of tithing.

Isn't tithing just a form of charitable donation, no different than any other type of donation you may wish to make? And whether you donate money while you are living, or leave it to charitable causes after you're gone, doesn't seem to make much difference to me.

If you have reached financial independence, are able to retire earlier than others, and you are not a burden to others or to society, I would think Jesus would think that's pretty good! So I don't know why she feels it appropriate to judge you.

But, as others have said, it probably has nothing to do with tithing, and she is probably dealing with some difficult issues. This isn't about you. Whether you want to invest the time into helping is your call.
I could not understand either how we got from insurance to tithing. But I think her point was that if I had tithed, I would not have been in shape to not need insurance. I don't know. I'm just guessing.

I think it really is about the tithing in some way. She seemed so bitter and angry.
__________________
Co2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2012 View Post
I know without a doubt she is under a lot of stress which is why I have put up with so much shocking rudeness within the past few months. She has explained and apologized on each occasion and then turn around and do something else hurtful.

Her family and friends do not hesitate to tell her what is what and she calls me crying about what they did and said to her, wanting me to make her feel better. I always try to appease her. I think that's the problem. I think it makes her feel that she has some type of power to be able to tell someone off and not get it back in return. I understand, I do. But I do have feelings. And it makes me feel funny her thinking she can talk to me any kind of way.
Co2012,

You have now posted two threads with the same theme, which is conflict resolution. In one case it relates to your fears about your husband's desire to buy a boat, in the other, to a "friend" 's disrespectful behaviour towards you. Of course, in both cases we are hearing only your side of the story.

It might be worth reading this book

http://www.amazon.ca/Getting-Yes-Neg.../dp/0743526937

Another resource you might find helpful is

http://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-Convers.../dp/0972446222

Good luck!
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #9
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2012 View Post
This not a religious thread and not intended to debate tithing. Itís too exhausting and controversial.
If you don't want religious discussion in the thread then why include it in the thread title?
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,802
I normally don't post to this kind of thread but, I have to admit that the title intrigued me. Here's some advice based on personal experience; it's worth what you're paying for it.

Look at your own behavior. Why is it that you've continued to support your friend financially? What are you trying to get from the relationship?

My non-professional opinion is that this relationship seems a bit co-dependent.
__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
HawkeyeNFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2012
I have put up with so much shocking rudeness.....
Never a reason to"put up" with that, doesn't matter who it's from.
__________________
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2012 View Post

No, I don’t tithe but I give to charities and help many people, and especially her and family. She has acted differently towards me lately. It seems everything I say to her rubs her the wrong way. In all the years I’ve known her, she has never spoken to me with such disrespect and almost hate. I’ve been letting this slide as she has been having a really hard time with family death and unbelievable sickness in her family and cries at the drop of a hat and I don't want to upset her.
Wow, a lot going on here.

First, when I see what I have bolded above, I start thinking about mental illness. Depression (most common) and more uncommon early onset dementia can be expressed this way. This is really, really difficult though, because you don't know. The easy advice is to say just cut her out of your life, but perhaps if she is ill, then you are only making it worse for your friend. In any case, I would stop giving her money. Maybe keep the compassion (as hard as that is to do), but cut the money.

Second: I'm dealing with my only severe family illness issues right now and it has made me crazy. It happens.

Third: if she has bitterness towards tithing, she is doing it wrong. But that's a religious discussion.
__________________
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sounds to me like you need a time out from her. I would discontinue contact for a period of time and then reconnect.

It sounds like she is troubled, has some self-doubt and regret and is just taking it out on whoever is nearby. Give her a little space for a while. You are not her keeper.
+1, only I would not bother to reconnect. Let her make the effort herself. She sounds like a waste of your time and energy, not a friend. Life is too short to agonize over this.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,275
A lot of different things going on here.... I will just throw in my opinion on some..

Co2012, I think you are an enabler here.... you say you have been giving her money and she spends it in a way you do not approve... that is your right, but how is this helping her

You say her family tells her what is what, and then she calls you up for someone to take her side and make her feel better... why They might have a valid point and you making her feel better is telling her that you think she is right...


Why is she having all this stress That seems to be the real issue and it is what should be addressed. If it is her grown kids and her grand kids taking all her money... well, she can stop that right away....

I would not put up with someone being so rude on a continuous basis... you have said it has been happening a lot over the last 6 months.... you can forgive a few, but this has turned into a pattern.... I would kindly say 'For some reason you have changed over the last ?? months. I do not like the 'new' you. If you decide to change back to the old you that I have known for ?? years, please give me a call. For now, I think we should take some time apart to reflect on our lives'....

Wait 6 months or so and then reach out to see how she is doing....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
This is a tough situation; sorry you're having to deal, but it seems to be the rule rather than the exception these days. Facebook is the worst... So many people spouting political or religious nonsense, I mean opinions. It's almost as if they're trying to pick a fight.

I would try to talk it out, if possible, since you used to value this friendship, but at some point it's best to cut your losses...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
Calico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I normally don't post to this kind of thread but, I have to admit that the title intrigued me. Here's some advice based on personal experience; it's worth what you're paying for it.

Look at your own behavior. Why is it that you've continued to support your friend financially? What are you trying to get from the relationship?

My non-professional opinion is that this relationship seems a bit co-dependent.
+5
__________________
"Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed, Let it be that great strong land of love, Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme, That any man be crushed by one above." - Langston Hughes
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
Tortoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Jose
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
This is a tough situation; sorry you're having to deal, but it seems to be the rule rather than the exception these days. Facebook is the worst... So many people spouting political or religious nonsense, I mean opinions. It's almost as if they're trying to pick a fight.

I would try to talk it out, if possible, since you used to value this friendship, but at some point it's best to cut your losses...
I just block my Facebook "friends" that have the need to spout a bunch of nonsense.

As to the OPs problem,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2012 View Post
I know without a doubt she is under a lot of stress which is why I have put up with so much shocking rudeness within the past few months. She has explained and apologized on each occasion and then turn around and do something else hurtful.
I am with many others who have advised to back away from this "friendship" for a while. You certainly don't want to enable this person who repeatedly cycles through manic-depressive episodes.
__________________
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." --Mark Twain
Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2012 View Post
She said the only reason I was able to retire well is because I have never tithed. She said that I have robbed Jesus and that I would be cursed.
Translation:
The only reason she is not able to retire well is because she always tithed. Jesus has robbed her and she will be up the creek.

OK, but seriously ...
Quote:
Sounds to me like you need a time out from her.
+1
__________________
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Co2012,

You have now posted two threads with the same theme, which is conflict resolution. In one case it relates to your fears about your husband's desire to buy a boat, in the other, to a "friend" 's disrespectful behaviour towards you. Of course, in both cases we are hearing only your side of the story.

It might be worth reading this book

http://www.amazon.ca/Getting-Yes-Neg.../dp/0743526937

Another resource you might find helpful is

http://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-Convers.../dp/0972446222

Good luck!
I'm thinking I see why Hubby wants a bigger boat.
__________________
14thMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Translation:
The only reason she is not able to retire well is because she always tithed. Jesus has robbed her and she will be up the creek.

OK, but seriously ...

+1
Seems to me she's under financial stress, as well as other stresses, and is lashing out a bit now. While it sounds like she could use a good friend, she is not handling it very well. I'd distance yourself a bit in hopes for a recovery, give her a little slack, and let her approach you later if she still wants to be a friend.
__________________

__________________
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Found Jesus haha Other topics 6 02-29-2008 12:36 PM
faithful nation gets Jesus wrong sgeeeee Other topics 14 08-18-2005 07:29 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.