Your Ring Tone

I was at a friend's house on Memorial Day, enjoying a lakeside BBQ. We'd already seen quite a collection of wildlife going by when the ducks started quacking.

Turned out to be one guy's cell phone.

I genuinely do not understand why people have ringtones that cause them to jump out of their skin and rummage like a maniac in their pocket or purse, with added loudness as the phone emerges.
Perhaps because they can't hear them. Or because it's difficult to see what you're doing to turn the ringer on/off, assuming you've even been able to work through the manual to learn how to do it.

Our local military base holds an annual "retiree seminar"-- pretty much a room full of opinionated people in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. When a cell phone goes off, usually at max volume, everyone jumps to their phone because they can vaguely hear some cell-phone-related noise but just can't discern whose ringtone it is.

Then they realize that they need to put on their reading glasses, which is difficult to do with a cell phone in one hand and a squawking spouse in the other. So the call goes to voicemail. The retiree gives up. They put everything away and try to remember what the speaker was just talking about. Of course the speaker is trying to remember the same thing.

30 seconds later the caller tries again.

So a bunch of opinionated geezers with CRS:D

So a bunch of opinionated geezers with CRS:D
... who think nothing of shredding an O-6 for breakfast and spitting out the carcass.

Kinda refreshing, as long as they turned off their cell phones.

Perhaps because they can't hear them. Or because it's difficult to see what you're doing to turn the ringer on/off, assuming you've even been able to work through the manual to learn how to do it.

Our local military base holds an annual "retiree seminar"-- pretty much a room full of opinionated people in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. When a cell phone goes off, usually at max volume, everyone jumps to their phone because they can vaguely hear some cell-phone-related noise but just can't discern whose ringtone it is.

Then they realize that they need to put on their reading glasses, which is difficult to do with a cell phone in one hand and a squawking spouse in the other. So the call goes to voicemail. The retiree gives up. They put everything away and try to remember what the speaker was just talking about. Of course the speaker is trying to remember the same thing.

30 seconds later the caller tries again.

Aargh. Something else to look forward to. I'm only 49 and I've just had to update the prescription on my reading glasses, and I thought that was bad. I don't know which will be worse to add to that, "deafness" or "becoming opinionated".

As the 85 year old father of a friend said, "Getting old is not for wimps".

As the 85 year old father of a friend said, "Getting old is not for wimps".

Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.

I think the combo of near-sightedness and far-sightedness is worse than the diminished hearing...

I have the ring tone that came with the phone from several years ago.

I have several. If DW calls it is the theme from Patton, DD it is close incounters of the 3rd kind, DS it is the Marine Hymn, Granddaughters is from the Gico cermercial 'Ring-a-ding-ding. Regular tone is Star Wars now, but has bee Westminster Chimes, and several others.

I found you can convert just about anything you can find on the web to a ring tone using audicity. So I play around with them.

I've got Ted Nugent's Stranglehold for when DH calls, Baby Got Back by Sir Mixalot for when the boss calls--never fails to make me laugh when I hear "I like big butts and I cannot lie". Margaritaville for my buddy Amy and This Old Pair of Jeans for my hooping peeps. Dixie Chicken (Little Feat) for my sister. Oh, and Jaws for when my mom calls. Mission Impossible for Dad.

Love the Crackberry site to make my own tones. I even did one of Dancing Queen by Abba for my friend Bobby. :)

Back
Top Bottom