Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

You guessed it. Mine is the theme song from Kung Fu the TV show. My wife hates it...which makes me love it more.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have different ones, depending on who is calling me. I don't know the names to any of them. I only know that I picked the one that reminded me of the Queen calling me for my DD's ringtone.

I finally bought 2 Tracfones and a card for minutes. My DH refused to use one. I still don't understand why, but he did. I kept them for awhile and decided to return them to Wal-Mart. My friend told me that she started having problems with her and another person she knew had problems also. Wal-Mart said no problem as long as it was with 45 days, which it wasn't. They asked the Manager and he said since they had not been opened, to go ahead. I should have been braver and tried using one myself. I hate paying the bill every month. I set it up for autopay, so that I did not have to pay it myself. I think it is such a waste of money for us.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Contrary to what most round here may suspect, my ring tone is not a meow or purr. It's the Ode de Joy from Beethoven's 9th.
That's two of us. My normal ringtone, anyway.
When DW calls me, it plays "Hail to the Chief"
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #24

My ringtone is an MP3 sample of the 30-second, flute-and-drum intro to this song. It's a great song by my favourite band, starts out quiet so that I can generally get to the phone before everybody else starts staring at me. I genuinely do not understand why people have ringtones that cause them to jump out of their skin and rummage like a maniac in their pocket or purse, with added loudness as the phone emerges.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Mine is a recording of sea lions barking. The kids love it. But when I forget to put it on vibrate and it rings at work it is pretty embarassing.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I was at a friend's house on Memorial Day, enjoying a lakeside BBQ. We'd already seen quite a collection of wildlife going by when the ducks started quacking.

Turned out to be one guy's cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I genuinely do not understand why people have ringtones that cause them to jump out of their skin and rummage like a maniac in their pocket or purse, with added loudness as the phone emerges.
Perhaps because they can't hear them. Or because it's difficult to see what you're doing to turn the ringer on/off, assuming you've even been able to work through the manual to learn how to do it.

Our local military base holds an annual "retiree seminar"-- pretty much a room full of opinionated people in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. When a cell phone goes off, usually at max volume, everyone jumps to their phone because they can vaguely hear some cell-phone-related noise but just can't discern whose ringtone it is.

Then they realize that they need to put on their reading glasses, which is difficult to do with a cell phone in one hand and a squawking spouse in the other. So the call goes to voicemail. The retiree gives up. They put everything away and try to remember what the speaker was just talking about. Of course the speaker is trying to remember the same thing.

30 seconds later the caller tries again.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #27

So a bunch of opinionated geezers with CRS
Old 06-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
... who think nothing of shredding an O-6 for breakfast and spitting out the carcass.

Kinda refreshing, as long as they turned off their cell phones.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Perhaps because they can't hear them. Or because it's difficult to see what you're doing to turn the ringer on/off, assuming you've even been able to work through the manual to learn how to do it.

Our local military base holds an annual "retiree seminar"-- pretty much a room full of opinionated people in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. When a cell phone goes off, usually at max volume, everyone jumps to their phone because they can vaguely hear some cell-phone-related noise but just can't discern whose ringtone it is.

Then they realize that they need to put on their reading glasses, which is difficult to do with a cell phone in one hand and a squawking spouse in the other. So the call goes to voicemail. The retiree gives up. They put everything away and try to remember what the speaker was just talking about. Of course the speaker is trying to remember the same thing.

30 seconds later the caller tries again.
Aargh. Something else to look forward to. I'm only 49 and I've just had to update the prescription on my reading glasses, and I thought that was bad. I don't know which will be worse to add to that, "deafness" or "becoming opinionated".

As the 85 year old father of a friend said, "Getting old is not for wimps".
Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
As the 85 year old father of a friend said, "Getting old is not for wimps".
Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.

I think the combo of near-sightedness and far-sightedness is worse than the diminished hearing...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have the ring tone that came with the phone from several years ago.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #32

I have several. If DW calls it is the theme from Patton, DD it is close incounters of the 3rd kind, DS it is the Marine Hymn, Granddaughters is from the Gico cermercial 'Ring-a-ding-ding. Regular tone is Star Wars now, but has bee Westminster Chimes, and several others.

I found you can convert just about anything you can find on the web to a ring tone using audicity. So I play around with them.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I had CRS, but it got worse. Now I have CRAFT...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #34

I've got Ted Nugent's Stranglehold for when DH calls, Baby Got Back by Sir Mixalot for when the boss calls--never fails to make me laugh when I hear "I like big butts and I cannot lie". Margaritaville for my buddy Amy and This Old Pair of Jeans for my hooping peeps. Dixie Chicken (Little Feat) for my sister. Oh, and Jaws for when my mom calls. Mission Impossible for Dad.

Love the Crackberry site to make my own tones. I even did one of Dancing Queen by Abba for my friend Bobby.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I had CRS, but it got worse. Now I have CRAFT...
Most excellent!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote