Your Spring garden ...

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It's really blooming here in Northern California after great winter rains.

Here is DW in her rose garden. The bird house on the right has a Western Blue Bird couple nesting in it.

Pic taken by the gardener slave.

garden_Apr_2017.jpg

================

Go ahead and post some spring pics of your Spring favorites here. I guess it might be a bit early back east?

Not really a private garden but this was our walk in the Point Reyes National Seashore area yesterday. The path leads to Keogh Beach. The ocean is in the distant center. On the far hill (on the left) are milk cows grazing. There is a row of willows along the creak (seen as a dark green strip) that leads to the ocean.

It was very cool by the ocean but spectacular. Very few people out there.

walk_to_Keogh_beach.jpg

Last edited:
My first bloom for the year :dance:

Attachments

• firstbloom.jpg
    firstbloom.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 40
IMG_0699.JPG
Sitting by the fire pit with a glass of wine, the smell of fresh mulch, and flowers starting to bloom...loving life!

Here in Southern California, with the recent rains, and warm weather things are growing. I have tomatoes on all my plants, and the plumeria is leafing out. We bought a kangaroo paw plant last year, and this year it already has 11 flower clusters (kangaroo paws)
We live in a +55 mobile home park, and do not have a lot of land to plant in, but we make do with what we have.

It's really blooming here in Northern California after great winter rains.

Here is DW in her rose garden. The bird house on the right has a Western Blue Bird couple nesting in it.

Pic taken by the gardener slave.

================

Go ahead and post some spring pics of your Spring favorites here. I guess it might be a bit early back east?
It hit 102 here on Wednesday. I think we're already in summer! My spring garden was roaring back in February.

Things are still blooming actually. Profusely.

Those are some huge roses!!!

and another today...

Attachments

• second.jpg
    second.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 36
It hit 102 here on Wednesday. I think we're already in summer! My spring garden was roaring back in February.

Things are still blooming actually. Profusely.

Those are some huge roses!!!
We're getting into a hot spell here after a wet and cool spring start.

Those are Ingrid Bergman red roses.

Beautiful, MissMolly and Lsbcal!!! Absolutely gorgeous.

I always thought I would garden more when I retired, but discovered that in my case growing old means a little arthritis, and a little arthritis means that I really didn't want to garden as much as I thought I would. So, I had my yard re-done so that it has nothing growing in it but grass. My lawn guy mows it, and I don't have to do any yard work at all.

Here in New Orleans, we have a lot of nearly jungle like vegetation and flowers just about all year 'round but moreso in the spring. It is fun to drive around town and see all the flowering bushes and trees in other yards.

Great looking gardens! Too early here, and the deer eat anything that looks like a flower during summer. I do have ferns out the wazoo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.47.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.47.17 AM.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 32
Here is my climbing Eden rose. I try to train it to climb up the column.

Attachments

• IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 30
Campanula bell plant from seed. A bit damage by the strong Santa Ana wind.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Vegetables patch aka jungle. 5 tomato and 3 zucchini plants.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Glad to see my sago palm come out. We had one real cold day during the winter with a little ice that burned all the lower branches that I recently cut off. But the crown had a nice flush of new branches and has really come on the last week or two. Just a month ago the branches you see were just little stubs within the crown. Wish I had taken a picture then to show the progress.

Last edited:
I've got flowers growing on one of the cucumber plants. Some of the jalapenos already have peppers growing. All of the cayenne pepper plants also have peppers growing, but only one of the bell pepper plants so far. Both the cherry tomatoes and a couple of the other tomato plants already have tomatoes on them. Lettuce and herbs are growing like weeds so far. It'll be months before the carrots, onions, or garlic are ready though.

Here in Oregon after record rainfall all winter (on top of being in a wet state anyway), we can barely mow our yards. Rumor has it we have three (yes I said three) dry days coming. Will have to wait for at least a week of no rain to even try an till up any dirt.

I have been looking out the window to see if Noah floats by.

Here in Oregon after record rainfall all winter (on top of being in a wet state anyway), we can barely mow our yards. Rumor has it we have three (yes I said three) dry days coming. Will have to wait for at least a week of no rain to even try an till up any dirt.

I have been looking out the window to see if Noah floats by.
Better build an ark of your own, just in case! :) Sounds really wet.

I just looked up some statistics on rainy cities, and found this:

New Orleans, on the other hand, where it usually rains over five feet a year, receives more precipitation than any big city in the USA. Yet it has far fewer wet days than many other cities. New Orleans ranks just 26th among large US cities in the number of days with precipitation, at 115 days a year.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/wettest-cities.php

There are rankings of cities both by amount of annual rainfall, and by the number of rainy days per year. According to this site, Portland, Oregon gets a whopping 164 rainy days each year! :eek: That's a lot of wet weather.

....and today's bloom. Can you tell that iris is my favorite flower?

Attachments

• yellowiris.jpg
    yellowiris.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 22
Lsbcal...what a delightful thread. I love the beautiful, serene moment you caught in time!

Here's a pic of our backyard. From time to time, we'll add a plant or two.

Attachments

• pond 201606-1.jpg
    pond 201606-1.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 36
BbbamI, nice looking landscape you have there. Must be very peaceful. Does the pool have any fish in it? Any animal visitors to it?

Where we are, there are too many critters for a fountain or small pool. Once I put a bird bath near the ground and the raccoons made a mess of it. I guess they were washing off there food because it really stunk. Had to raise the bird bath. Mostly now just birds visit with the occasional squirrel.

Back
Top Bottom