Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Ask a military member their state of residence, and the overwhelming majority will say either Florida or Texas, for very obvious reasons.

My address on my voter card was actually washed away years ago by a hurricane.
Depends. For instance OH does not tax (since 2008) Mil Retired Payments or SS (earlier than that) and provides a significant tax credit for RMD's or other retirement plans. Moved from FL to OH and State Taxes in OH are approximately $100 a year (basically only on interest income). NC (Baily Act) takes (depending on when one qualified for a Military Retirement) Military Retirement out of the State Tax return. NC also does not tax SS. I agree years ago it was FL or TX for Military but times have changed a bit for the better.

Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
If you don't own any land, house, apartment in any state, how hard would it be to claim Florida as your residence? It is probably the only state that I would be happy with visiting once a year or once every couple of years because of the beaches and Disney. We are going to be roaming the USA in a camper but need a home state for ACA and taxes.

Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
Don't know if this might help or not... Changing State Residency - A Guide for the RV Owner
One of the "Lucky Few"
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm confused (see sig line). Is car insurance in LA higher or lower than in TX?
Sorry...we have 2 cars. They are both Toyota Camrys, one is a 2010 & the other is a 2007. The 2010 is insured in Texas and the 2007 in Louisiana. The one insured in Texas costs almost 1/2 for the same coverage as the 2007 LA car, even though it's 3 years newer. Car insurance is quite a bit cheaper in Texas than Louisiana. The Louisiana town is less than 20 miles from the LA/TX border.

I once asked my agent why such a big difference and all I got was that there are a lot of uninsured drivers in Louisiana?? I didn't see that as much of an answer. How about enforcing the insurance laws? Anyhow, that's all I got.

I'll add this though, since we're comparing costs between LA & TX. We just bought a home in Bossier City, LA (less than a month ago). Purchase price was $212,000. It's within the city limits of Bossier City, in a gated community of homes, and our home is 6 years old. My property taxes are $1584. That's quite a bit lower than pretty much any place in Texas that I have any experience with. Louisiana gives a $75,000 property tax exemption on owner occupied homes, so that's a big part of it. They also do have a state income tax, although it's not much in my opinion compared to other places I've lived. Anyhow, they get ya one way or another.

martyb is offline   Reply With Quote