Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucich View Post

Has Walmart gotten so caught up in convenience that they are forgetting their brick and mortar clientele or am I just getting old and out of touch?
Did you talk to the manager or write a note to Walmart online? Is there a survey on the back of your receipt?

Quote:
On a side note, that same day, I had to stop in Target for a special item. The store was near empty and so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I was in heaven! I would switch to them, but the prices are higher and selection limited . . .
I think you've identified why Walmart is busier.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I avoid Wally World whenever possible

Old 07-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #23

I fashion my thrice yearly Wal-Mart visits like Danté approached his trip through Hell. Get through as quick as possible while noticing the poor souls who's deeds had left them trapped there.
If only I had someone to guide me through the rough parts like he did.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I am guessing that one of the reasons WalMart can offer lower prices is that they have less man power to pay. By keeping the amount of employees to minimum they need, they can pass on the savings to you. What they need to do is balance the employee number with customer needs. I never wait in line a WM, but I always use the self check because I never buy a lot of stuff at once. So if you want to pay less, you give up some convenience.
I find Costo to be much worse. Not only can I never find anyone to help me in the store, their check out lines are horrendous. But I don't mind waiting if it means saving money.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I avoid Wally World whenever possible
I stay away because wally attracts folks whom I prefer not to associate with. I'm not referring to low income or other demographics. I am referring to the criminal elements. Our town is pretty decent my most quality of life measurements. The local wally world is a disturbing anomaly. I'll pass.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

I will continue to avoid Wal-Mart if there are decent alternatives.
+1

There is a Walmart within a mile of my house and I go there for one thing. Wrangler Jeans. The downside is that the last Wranglers I bought were lower quality than the ones I have in my closet that are still wearable, and they are making the back pockets smaller on the new ones. So I may be finding a new brand.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

The OP shops on the weekends, which quadruples the hassles imo. If you can't shop on a weekday, I think Walmarts are open really late into the evenings--why not go on a weeknight? Ours are open 24 hours.

We have Humana's plan D drug coverage and use Walmart for DH's prescriptions, so we buy other things while there for that. I wish it was better lit--just so gray and depressing inside. The pricing doesn't matter so much to us now so doubt we would go there otherwise. We certainly wouldn't go on a weekend like the OP does.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a choice of two Walmart stores. The worst one is next door to Sams and across the street from a good discount grocery store. I like to shop at Sams and the discount store, but still find myself making that trip back into Walmart for those items i can't get at the other two. Then my shopping trip becomes so drawn out, I just resign to getting everything at Walmart instead of hitting three stores. I am thinking my only solution is to order for pickup. By the way, how longer the pickup lines?

I probably wouldn't have to go so often if I wasn't still working. DH (retired) says don't go out on Tuesdays. it is senior day and there's a lot of crazy seniors out there!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you would have asked me this question two years ago, I would have told you they are awful. But about 2 years ago or less, they claimed to be hiring more people and I think paying more. I saw a significant positive change. DW, who absolutely hated the shopping experience there, actually saw the difference as well. Employees would take us to products we could not find. And, they were simply more pleasant. This was in 2 different states we lived in during the last two years.

Even when DW hated the shopping experience, we both agreed that the self checkout functioned was much better than our grocery store for reading UPC, etc.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Although there's a Walmart only 2 miles from us, we did not go there until we started RV'ing, and parked overnight at Walmart while en route. And we got into the habit of walking around the stores to buy a few things, but mainly to stretch our legs.

What do you know, it is not as scary as what you read on the Web.

I started to go to the nearby Walmart more often after that to get things that are cheaper there, like auto supplies and parts and household items. We do not have a habit of shopping for food at Walmart, because we have other grocery chains we use, particularly when the latter have loss leaders.

My wife goes to this Walmart all the time to get prescriptions for her mother. And I get my blood pressure medicine there too. The store's atmosphere is not bad, just a bit boring. It's OK, as we do not go into stores for recreation.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #31

Our Super Walmart is about a mile from our house, which made it my go to place for grocery shopping for many years. Yes, service has gotten terrible in many respects. Empty shelves among all grocery departments. Even with a full cart, it was faster for me to get through self checkout than try to wait in the only line available for full service. Store more and more crowded early in the morning on weekdays. It's become unpleasant to shop there, but they do have the lowest prices in the area.

A Meijer opened up 13 miles away in May. I've been doing more of my shopping there. Yes, it's worth it, even having to drive 35 minutes each way vs. 5 minutes to Walmart. Wonderful, courteous staff, fully stocked everything, much greater selection, and their pricing is almost identical to Walmart's pricing. With their mPerks program, my grocery bill is actually less.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #32

I will drive 5 miles to Target, but never stop at the Walmart that's 2 miles away.

I will shop target for needs and then be able to browse. They have some nice home stuff, I like some of their casual clothing, t shirts, etc. I can't say the same for walmart.

But I'd rather jut order on amazon than bother with either.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #33

Our HI just switched from Walgreens to Walmart for our prescriptions. We are saving a ton of money. Our Walmart is decent and I go monthly and pick up whatever we need. We grocery shop at Winco because the quality and prices are better. Every spring I get my flowers for my patio there.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

We have 7 Super Walmarts within a 10 mile radius of us.

Of course, there are hundreds of other retail outlets too. Also, we have a gigantic Amazon warehouse within 12 miles of our house. Then there are 4 major hospitals within one mile away. The list goes on and on...

It's all good.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #35

Quote:
I buy most of my clothes at GoodWill, but some things you just have to get at Walmart.
I get my clothes at outlet malls. Similar or better prices as Walmart but far better fit and quality.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #36

Our Walmart is fine, some folk are just snobs is all. There are people here that are glad to pat $3 a pound more for exactly the same USDA meat at Publix, just to say they did so. Most identical name brand items are cheaper at Walmart than any of the local grocery stores other than Aldi. Aldi is my preference, but if they do not have something we happily go to Walmart.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #37

I usually go to WM late at night and I never have to wait long for any registers, self or manned. If I see long lines, I go back to browsing around until the lines thin out. This is true for every store I go (Lowes, Costco, etc). Of course, being ER'd, I only go to those stores when there is no traffic on the road, and it isn't busy shopping hours/seasons. I am spoiled rotten by ER life.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

We used to buy groceries at our local Wal Mart. Then we found a large collection of small insects in a box of food, and the insects spread throughout our pantry. We cleaned it all out and assumed it was a one-time event.

Then it happened a second time with a different brand of food.

Now we almost never go into Wal Mart. We will only go there if we can't find something at our other local stores. But we will not buy food from them.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Our Walmart is fine, some folk are just snobs is all. There are people here that are glad to pat $3 a pound more for exactly the same USDA meat at Publix, just to say they did so. Most identical name brand items are cheaper at Walmart than any of the local grocery stores other than Aldi. Aldi is my preference, but if they do not have something we happily go to Walmart.
I used to go to SaveALot all the time, but then changed to Walmart when they opened the super centers. While SaveALot seems to be staying the same, it seems like Aldi has been improving their selection and I am continually surprised by some of the stuff they have. (Hoping DH gets back there today to pick up that wonderful bath rug I saw) That's why I am saying I will probably switch to them and pickup at Walmart on the way home. Also there's a lot more people in Aldi than there used to be. The lines may get stacked up, but at least they are manned and they are super fast!
Old 07-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a small neighborhood Walmart (groceries only) that I visit for a few food items, mostly shop at Safeway.
Our large super center Walmart had tons of manned registers and a bunch of self serve. For the few items we need, we always go to the self serve ones--DH scans and I bag. Pretty fast, however, we also go during the week and either first thing am or late in the evening. Far less people.